FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Canon 6D Mark II DXOMark Sensor Review

pointbob
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 6D Mark II DXOMark Sensor Review

"Conclusion
Canonís 6D proved a popular and affordable DSLR for serious-enthusiasts looking to step up to full frame, or pros after an affordable second body.

Five years on, it was crying out for an upgrade however, and the 6D Mark IIís resolution boost, improved autofocus system, faster frame rate and touch-screen LCD make it a more viable option in the modern market.

Its sensor performance continues the upward trend for Canon chips too, although it doesnít quite hit the dizzy heights of Canonís best sensor to date in the 5D Mark IV. This is a result of notably lower dynamic range recorded by the 6D Mark II at base ISO, which is a concern for photographers after the best image quality in good light. From ISO 800, dynamic range is much closer to the performance of semi pro rivals such as the Nikon D750 and Sony A7 II however, and with good color sensitivity at all settings and well-controlled noise the 6D Mark II lends itself better to low light photography."

https://www.dxomark.com/canon-eos-6d-mark-ii-sensor-review-great-color-iso-performance/

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Canon/EOS-6D

Sep 19, 2017 at 05:11 PM
Rusty1
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 6D Mark II DXOMark Sensor Review

Interesting review, focuses on what the camera dose well while others have focused on what it doesn't.

Sep 19, 2017 at 05:39 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 6D Mark II DXOMark Sensor Review

The 6DM2's metamerism scores are significantly higher vs the 6D. 85 vs 69 for natural light and 79 vs 70 for tungsten. Color selectively was modestly improved as well.

Sep 19, 2017 at 05:59 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 6D Mark II DXOMark Sensor Review

The 6D II also has higher Full Well Capacity and higher maximum SNR. Combined with better color, this means higher maximum image quality.

It also has slightly higher overall SNR, and of course higher resolution.

The myth is established though, that the 6D II sensor is worse than it's predecessor, and it is going to be difficult to kill that myth.

Sep 19, 2017 at 06:25 PM
Isaacheus
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 6D Mark II DXOMark Sensor Review

I'm pretty sure I've got this wrong, but I would have thought a higher full well capacity would mean higher dynamic range? Or is it unrelated to that, and more to do with the electronic read out of the sensor?

alundeb wrote:
The 6D II also has higher Full Well Capacity and higher maximum SNR. Combined with better color, this means higher maximum image quality.

It also has slightly higher overall SNR, and of course higher resolution.

The myth is established though, that the 6D II sensor is worse than it's predecessor, and it is going to be difficult to kill that myth.

Sep 19, 2017 at 09:35 PM
whumber
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 6D Mark II DXOMark Sensor Review

Isaacheus wrote:
I'm pretty sure I've got this wrong, but I would have thought a higher full well capacity would mean higher dynamic range? Or is it unrelated to that, and more to do with the electronic read out of the sensor?

Dynamic range is the ratio between the largest signal (directly related to the FWC) and the noise floor (mostly controlled by electronic noise).

Sep 19, 2017 at 09:44 PM
Mikehit
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 6D Mark II DXOMark Sensor Review

I wonder if the naysayers will come onto this thread and give as much airtime to its good points as they spent mocking it supposed failings?

Sep 19, 2017 at 09:45 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 6D Mark II DXOMark Sensor Review

It has a lot of good points. I found it was an incredibly easy camera to use.

Its a shame canon didnt make the extra effort to turn it into a class leading option, wouldnt have taken much.

Sep 19, 2017 at 09:50 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 6D Mark II DXOMark Sensor Review

Shame the 5d4 doesnt have that flippy screen but I'm still picking one up over the 6d2.

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EOS-6D-Mark-II-versus-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-IV-versus-Canon-EOS-6D___1170_1106_836

Sep 19, 2017 at 09:54 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 6D Mark II DXOMark Sensor Review

Mikehit wrote:
I wonder if the naysayers will come onto this thread and give as much airtime to its good points as they spent mocking it supposed failings?

I doubt it. Naysayers just say, "nay, nay, nay".

Sep 19, 2017 at 09:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Isaacheus
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 6D Mark II DXOMark Sensor Review

So if it has improved the fwc but not the dynamic range, it would appear to have worse electronic noise than the original 6d?

Still a bit disappointing to see all the previous short comings of the sensor confirmed by dxomark though. I was really wanting to get one of these if it had improved on the dynamic range at base iso, the other limitations weren't deal breakers otherwise

whumber wrote:
Dynamic range is the ratio between the largest signal (directly related to the FWC) and the noise floor (mostly controlled by electronic noise).

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:22 PM
whumber
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 6D Mark II DXOMark Sensor Review

Isaacheus wrote:
So if it has improved the fwc but not the dynamic range, it would appear to have worse electronic noise than the original 6d?

Still a bit disappointing to see all the previous short comings of the sensor confirmed by dxomark though. I was really wanting to get one of these if it had improved on the dynamic range at base iso, the other limitations weren't deal breakers otherwise

Yeah, which I suppose isn't such a crazy thing to happen if they implemented the dual pixel structure using the older 500nm process. But I'm an aero guy rather than an EE so my knowledge on this stuff is superficial.

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:26 PM
Rusty1
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 6D Mark II DXOMark Sensor Review

RobDickinson wrote:
It has a lot of good points. I found it was an incredibly easy camera to use.

Its a shame canon didnt make the extra effort to turn it into a class leading option, wouldnt have taken much.

It is a real pleasure to use with a tripod and the flippy touch screen. Whish the 5D4 had a flip screen.

Sep 20, 2017 at 01:23 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 6D Mark II DXOMark Sensor Review

snapsy wrote:
The 6DM2's metamerism scores are significantly higher vs the 6D. 85 vs 69 for natural light and 79 vs 70 for tungsten. Color selectively was modestly improved as well.

Very important improvement that never makes headlines!

Sep 20, 2017 at 01:27 AM
IbisTW

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 6D Mark II DXOMark Sensor Review

alundeb wrote

I actually like that rumor. It may lead more people to think:"Hey, my photo looks like garbage, the Internet was right! I need to get rid of this trash camera!" and allow me to get a mint-condition second hand 6DmkII at a good price.

Sep 20, 2017 at 02:39 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 6D Mark II DXOMark Sensor Review

The 6D2 seem to measure like a 5D3 but with some more resolution power. The 5D4 comes out way ahead. 5D3 >> 6D2; think twice. 5D3 >> 5D4; if you got the dough!

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EOS-6D-Mark-II-versus-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-IV-versus-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III___1170_1106_795

Check under the tab for measurements and then under the SNR and DR headers...

Sep 20, 2017 at 04:07 AM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 6D Mark II DXOMark Sensor Review

Mikehit wrote:

One doesn't have to "mock" anything. Want greater dynamic range and this camera does not deliver it. Doesn't matter to me that it is better than the 6D in other respects. Won't be getting one.

I do photograph in conditions with a lot of contrast and want the range I get from the Nikon gear I borrow from friends on occasion.

Sep 20, 2017 at 05:40 AM
D.Hussey
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 6D Mark II DXOMark Sensor Review

Daniel Smith wrote:
One doesn't have to "mock" anything. Want greater dynamic range and this camera does not deliver it. Doesn't matter to me that it is better than the 6D in other respects. Won't be getting one.

I do photograph in conditions with a lot of contrast and want the range I get from the Nikon gear I borrow from friends on occasion.

So don't get one and buy yourself a Nikon .... What is the point of your post other than to validate what Mikehit wrote?

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:30 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 6D Mark II DXOMark Sensor Review

If you DR is important to you then get a 5D4, otherwise there is very little difference in the current 5D/6D lineup:

DPR: 6D2 vs 5D3 vs 6D vs 5D4

No rush to upgrade existing gear unless you wanna... Happy Christmas! :-))

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:46 AM
MintMar
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 6D Mark II DXOMark Sensor Review

alundeb wrote:

It's not a completely fabricated 100% myth though, this is what DXOMark review writes:

For Landscape (Dynamic Range) its headline score of 11.9 Ev is a slight step back compared to the original 6D however, and remains off the pace compared to the best performing new sensors from both Canon, as well as its main Nikon and Sony competition.

This to me looks like original 6D in some cases may be marginally better. And of course, the most important fuel for this "myth" is the disappointment that 6D2 got a better version of the "old" sensor, whereas SL2 and 80D have, like 5D4, the "new" sensor.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:33 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password