Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

bs kite
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

Last winter, when the salt spray became airborne it settled on my high-quality ball-head.

Weeks later I discovered it was "stuck". Even after using silicone spray and relentlessly "working it" to and fro, it still has not loosened.

To use it, I have to first force it to move once, then it is workable but always very tight.

I am assuming there is an invisible coating of salt between the ball and its enclosure. There is no visible damage or corrosion to the ball WHATSOEVER.

If this what is holding this ball so tightly?

And what can I use to loosen it, to recover it?

I would rather do that than purchase a new one.

Thanks

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:14 AM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

Salt is water soluble, so if that truly is the issue, working it back and forth while holding it under a stream of fresh water might possibly do the trick. However, keep in mind, IANABRD (I am not a ballhead repair dude).

C

Edited on Sep 19, 2017 at 01:35 PM · View previous versions

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:18 AM
ytwong
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

MAYBE put it in warm water ??

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:18 AM
sk66
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

Chances are the clamping block (of whatever sort) has corrosion on/around it which is preventing it from releasing. Many ballheads are relatively simple mechanisms and can be disassembled/cleaned... but there might be some high strength loctite involved.

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:37 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

First you need to identify which ball had you have the term high-quality covers and fairly wide range of product certain brand shoes very very corrosion-resistant materials inside some don't

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:56 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

If your ball head has a tensioner dial did you try rotating it? Perhaps it got moved/stuck in a high-tension position.

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:59 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

I've seen several ballheads like this before and every time it was a problem with their locking mechanisms or tensioners. Some of them have a secondary tightening or locking screw as well. Markins heads, for example, have a set screw in the main knob that is designed to help you set a minimum tension - check anything like that first.

If there's salt in it I would expect it to be gritty. Working it to and fro would presumably break up the salt crystals as well, but it doesn't, which further makes me think it could be the mechanism. If it's still smooth, but just stiff, I'm not sure I would blame the salt just yet but you've got it in front of you and you would know better than I would. If you do use water on it, make sure it's distilled. Maybe put a little distilled water on it, work it around, let it dry and follow up with some lube. But first check all the mechanics.

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:08 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

Salt spray tends to leave a sticky residue. I'd soak it in warm water for a while to dissolve any salt and then squirt some water displacing solvent on it.

<not a ballhead repair expert though, email the manufacturer>

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:07 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

Thanks for the feedbacks

I do not have any information to return to ya'll yet. But I will.

Thank you.

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:34 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

(perfect time to) Dump it and get a gimbal

Or soak it in water as already mentioned.

Sep 19, 2017 at 01:22 PM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

Send it to the manufacturer.

Sep 19, 2017 at 02:43 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

As a generic response you might want to try Salt-Away.

Can you provide the manufacturer of the head and the model? That should generate specific suggestions.

Sep 20, 2017 at 06:31 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

Even if you manage to free the ball, it should be opened and cleaned/lubed as appropriate. I'd probably just throw away a cheap head if it is frozen.

EBH

Sep 20, 2017 at 07:31 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

Induro BHD 1

I would not throw it away but may send it to Induro for repair.

I already have a Jobu Jr 3 and love it.

I have not attempted to get inside the mechanics of the head; i.e. taking it apart.

I have soaked it in warm water for hours. After the soaking it is as stuck as it was before the soaking. Wearing gloves, I can budge it, but it requires all my hand/wrist strength.

After it dries, there is a cloudy film on the outside. And that film tastes like salt.

Thanks for the suggestions....thus far

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:21 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

send it to Induro for repair, or toss it in file 13. It's beyond easy fixin

Sep 21, 2017 at 06:29 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

Mg alloy components do not do well with a salt laden environment.

from the Induro site:

"The BHD1 dual-action ballhead offers increased load capacities, large ergonomic locking knobs, adjustable drag and tension control, independent panning control and much more. Made of precision-machined Magnesium alloy and incorporating an Arca-Swiss style quick release system for maximum compatibility and flexibility, these heads are designed to handle virtually any shooting situation and equipment – from compact to full-sized professional gear."

Sep 21, 2017 at 07:40 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

I believe I will be sending it to them. File 13 is not an option. We've been through a lot together

Sep 21, 2017 at 07:53 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

If it's this one I would just order a new one. $49 off. Don't become emotional about inanimate gear. It will cost close to that to fix it. If you are sentimental, put the old one on a shelf.

https://www.adorama.com/indbhd1.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI26mN9au21gIVRbXACh2wZA_4EAQYAyABEgJb8vD_BwE

Sep 21, 2017 at 08:06 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

OK so it's an Induro BHD-1, and yes magnesium alloy is not a good material for ballheads. Here's a paragraph from the instruction manual that comes with the head: "Always clean and dry any ballhead after it has been exposed to wet, dusty, sandy or salty conditions. Your ballhead is not recommended for use in salt water. (italics are mine) If required, clean ballhead using a mild soap solution applied with a soft cloth, rinse with fresh water and dry with soft towel. Remove any dust, dirt or sand from all locks and all moving parts."

It is probable that you've damaged the head by getting salt spray on it. Its possible that the ball has just locked up. Before you send it off to be repaired you should use the following procedure which has worked on locked Markins and Photo Clam heads. No guarantee that it will work on your head but worth a try:

Fully tighten the head locking knob (see pic below) by turning it clockwise. Next turn the drag control knob anti-clockwise as far as it will go. If it won't turn, use a rag and pliers and attempt a sudden impulsive turn of the knob anti-clockwise to loosen it. Finally, turn the head locking knob anti-clockwise to loosen it and see if the ball will move.

Sep 21, 2017 at 08:07 AM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

RRS BH-55 😬👍🏻

Sep 21, 2017 at 09:39 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.