Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

steve807

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

salt encourages corrosion which will not wash off

if you can get the ball out hit it with some 600 grit sandpaper

Sep 21, 2017 at 06:15 PM
bs kite
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

Blakehfreeman wrote:
RRS BH-55 😬👍🏻

There is no way I am paying anywhere near $400 for a ballhead.....gimbal yes, ballhead no.

Thank you anyway

Sep 21, 2017 at 08:12 PM
bs kite
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

Seems the ball would have to come out through the bottom. In order to do this, I would have to remove the mounting plate and that is frozen. I think there is corrosion and this is toast.

Key points you have given:

> Magnesium alloy build
> Corrosion very likely

FYI: I have never seen any salt spray in the air, over or on this ballhead. This must have been caused by very fine, invisible mist/spray that was in the air on those very rough days.

Considering the replacement cost of $175, I now lean toward shelving/retiring this and buying a new one.

thanks again.

Sep 21, 2017 at 08:23 PM
bs kite
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

steve807 wrote:
salt encourages corrosion which will not wash off

if you can get the ball out hit it with some 600 grit sandpaper

I still may try this. Have to go through the bottom I think. Would have to get the top mounting plate to release.

Let you know if I do this.

Sep 21, 2017 at 08:29 PM
bs kite
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

peter_n wrote:
OK so it's an Induro BHD-1, and yes magnesium alloy is not a good material for ballheads. Here's a paragraph from the instruction manual that comes with the head: "Always clean and dry any ballhead after it has been exposed to wet, dusty, sandy or salty conditions. Your ballhead is not recommended for use in salt water. (italics are mine) If required, clean ballhead using a mild soap solution applied with a soft cloth, rinse with fresh water and dry with soft towel. Remove any dust, dirt or sand from all locks and all moving parts."

It is probable that you've
...Show more

Thanks...I did try your advice. Did not work.

Sep 21, 2017 at 08:30 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

^ Yep, too bad. Not surprised really, the internals are probably different.

bs kite wrote:
Considering the replacement cost of $175, I now lean toward shelving/retiring this and buying a new one.

Look for a ballhead that's made of aluminum & steel. Check the Buy & Sell for used RRS, Kirk, Acratech and others. Sirui is a very decent value brand, check out the Sirui K-30X or K-40X heads which a lot of people seem to like. You'll get better value with a used quality brand like RRS though, it's well worth it in the long run.

Sep 21, 2017 at 09:09 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

aluminum alloy with Stainless steel.

even high carbon steels oxidize easily in the right environment.

Sep 21, 2017 at 09:34 PM
gpelpel
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

peter_n recommendations are good. Many ball heads have the same behavior when it becomes stuck. Remedy is to tighten the main knob as much as you can, loosen the tension knob, and then the ball should be able to get loose by loosening the main knob.
Good luck!

Sep 21, 2017 at 09:47 PM
Bobarino

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

bs kite wrote:
I still may try this. Have to go through the bottom I think. Would have to get the top mounting plate to release.

Let you know if I do this.

Try this, put equal parts white vinegar and rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle, and spray the ball until you're certain the solution is worked into the base of the ball-head. Rinse and repeat as necessary. At best, this will dissolve the salt crystals, and not remove rust from parts which are rusted and frozen tight. I suspect the "frozen" part is a rusted spring-loaded plate which travels in a channel on either side as you adjust tension. Hopefully that part has not rusted, and the vinegar/rubbing-alcohol solution will dissolve the salt residue.

Once you've soaked and rinsed a few times, and the ball-head is still stuck, try spraying the ball with liberal amounts of penetrating oil, then rock it side to side, to allow the lubricant to come into contact with the rusted part. This spring-loaded plate is sometimes located on the opposite side from the tension knob. Be patient, and don't force the tension knob,,,, but work it continuously.

Keeping my fingers crossed,,,, good luck.

Edited on Sep 21, 2017 at 09:55 PM · View previous versions

Sep 21, 2017 at 09:50 PM
bs kite
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

I don't use a ballhead much anymore. Some, but not much...not since I bought this super nice Gimbal.

Anyway ..... thanks.

Later

Sep 21, 2017 at 09:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

runamuck
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

If all else fails use the standard BFH. If the standard one fails use a bigger BFH.

Sep 23, 2017 at 03:27 AM
bs kite
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

!

Oct 07, 2017 at 01:50 AM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

I had my pan locking knob not lock anymore. I thought the knob was stripped but after Induro send me a new knob that would also not lock the head from panning.
I returned the BDH-0 to them and they sent me a new one.

Maybe you would be so lucky.
I remember they have a 5 year ? warranty that becomes 10 year when you register your equipment online with them.

Good Luck.

Oct 07, 2017 at 02:06 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

runamuck wrote:
If all else fails use the standard BFH. If the standard one fails use a bigger BFH.

I prefer the Medium FH. The Big one can land one in the ER which is much more expensive than simply replacing that mediocre head.

EBH

Oct 07, 2017 at 02:49 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

I have nearly 40 years experience in a heavy industry machine shop. I am used to BIG BIG FH's up to 20 pounds. IF that failed we used a 1200 pound "Dilly Bar."

Oct 07, 2017 at 08:00 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

how about one just takes care of the gear properly and then repairs are left to a minimum. put this one down to a learning experience.

Oct 07, 2017 at 08:20 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

Sirui K-40X - $150.00 Voted Best by DPReview
www.amazon.com/Sirui-K-40X-Ball-Head/dp/B004QC3CMG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507412313&sr=8-1&keywords=sirui+k-40x

Oct 07, 2017 at 09:39 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

not what I call a viable review too. like I said before it was just a bunch of guys essentially playing with their ball heads. no controls, no regimentation so no real testing.

Oct 07, 2017 at 10:12 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

A RRS BH-55 owner and friend (machinical engineer with Seimans) recommended the Sirui - K40X and can not believe how much money he wasted.

The Sirui does more than I will ever need shooting landscapes with a 1DsIII.

Oct 07, 2017 at 11:07 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Ball-head too tight from salt spray. How to loosen?

Dragonfire wrote:
A RRS BH-55 owner and friend (machinical engineer with Seimans) recommended the Sirui - K40X and can not believe how much money he wasted.

The Sirui does more than I will ever need shooting landscapes with a 1DsIII.

Do you do much panning and stitching with it? The full diameter graduations on the BH-55 base are extremely useful for multi-row and even single-row "panning by the numbers." Many heads just have small area where the angles are displayed and that is often not in an ergonomic position. As well the base of the BH-55 is very smooth and controllable even with substantial off-center loads. I used it extensively with the 1Ds II and 1Ds III with zooms that resulted in nodal points close to the front of the lens. Even the A-S Z1 was not up to par IME. It's not such an issue after the 1Ds and D3X were replaced by the lighter high-res bodies.

EBH

Oct 08, 2017 at 12:10 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password