Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Your favorite way to change lenses in the field ?

chez
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Your favorite way to change lenses in the field ?

PrecisionPhoto wrote:
You forgot to mention having to add the time removing the end cap from new lens then replacing it on the old lens, no lose of time with these

Oh yeh...that 10 seconds in my life I'll never recover. Really if 10 seconds makes or breaks the shot, then you need a second camera.

Sep 24, 2017 at 01:10 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Your favorite way to change lenses in the field ?

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:
Ditto. I pick up / set down stuff on a dedicated spot on my camera bag. Never imagined doing it any other way, actually.

Has worked for 40 years without a problem.

Sep 24, 2017 at 01:11 AM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Your favorite way to change lenses in the field ?

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:
Ditto. I pick up / set down stuff on a dedicated spot on my camera bag. Never imagined doing it any other way, actually.

Yea, all those money grabbing inventors making lens changing easier with all there RD time and money spent are all full of it ha?

Sep 24, 2017 at 01:39 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Your favorite way to change lenses in the field ?

PrecisionPhoto wrote:
Yea, all those money grabbing inventors making lens changing easier with all there RD time and money spent are all full of it ha?

You got it.

Sep 24, 2017 at 01:48 AM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Your favorite way to change lenses in the field ?

chez wrote:
You got it.

Yea I have a better faster way

Sep 24, 2017 at 01:50 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Your favorite way to change lenses in the field ?

PrecisionPhoto wrote:
Yea I have a better faster way

debatable. The hand clapper to turn off your lights is also better & faster...

Edited on Sep 24, 2017 at 02:04 AM · View previous versions

Sep 24, 2017 at 02:03 AM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Your favorite way to change lenses in the field ?

chez wrote:
debatable.

Yea you sound like it

Sep 24, 2017 at 02:04 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Your favorite way to change lenses in the field ?

PrecisionPhoto wrote:
Old school to the point you have to say it twice?

The joys of slow mobile Internet connections.

Sep 24, 2017 at 02:38 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Your favorite way to change lenses in the field ?

PrecisionPhoto wrote:

Partly. It is akin to the orgy of video rigs and accessories following the success of the 5D Mark II. Gadgetise, gadgetise. The mantra of those with too much disposable income where heaven is eBay with its Chinese distractions.

Sep 24, 2017 at 02:42 AM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Your favorite way to change lenses in the field ?

EB-1 wrote:
So if you have 20 lenses, you have 20 cameras? How do you get that on the aircraft?

EBH

They each get their own seat!

Sep 24, 2017 at 02:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Your favorite way to change lenses in the field ?

If it works for you, great! I'd rather not have to carry another gadget to fix a problem that's not a problem for me.

Sep 24, 2017 at 03:30 AM
Denny JetTone

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Your favorite way to change lenses in the field ?

For the particular situation where I’m using two bodies and three lenses (17-35, 24-70, and 80-200) to shoot a show or a concert and am moving throughout a venue – including backstage/wings – without a bag, this Case Logic DSL-102 Luminosity Telephoto Lens Exchange Camera Lens Case has been very useful.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IDYRZ94/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It holds any of these lenses with the hood in place and provides a second “holding” compartment which makes changing lenses in the dark, while strapped up, a little less treacherous.

Denny

Sep 24, 2017 at 08:39 AM
mbphoto_2.8
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Your favorite way to change lenses in the field ?

I'm a lazy sumbitch.. I either take it slow or I'll bring a second camera.

If I meet Bigfoot and need to change the lens quickly, I'll simply throw away whichever wide angle sits on the camera and put on the tele.

Selling the image will fund a new wide angle.

In all other instances, life will go on.

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:08 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Your favorite way to change lenses in the field ?

Denny JetTone wrote:
For the particular situation where I’m using two bodies and three lenses (17-35, 24-70, and 80-200) to shoot a show or a concert and am moving throughout a venue – including backstage/wings – without a bag, this Case Logic DSL-102 Luminosity Telephoto Lens Exchange Camera Lens Case has been very useful....

In similar circumstances, I use one or two LowePro S&F Lens Exchange 200 AW cases.

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:29 AM
henry albert
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Your favorite way to change lenses in the field ?

Takes me less than a second and one hand to pop off a rear lens cap. Takes a second or so to grab the loose cap and twist it on the replaced lens. I can live with the delay.

Sep 24, 2017 at 02:21 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Your favorite way to change lenses in the field ?

I carry around a portable camp shower which gives me the dust free space I need to change out my lenses.

Sep 24, 2017 at 09:07 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Your favorite way to change lenses in the field ?

Pavel wrote:
Just when we all thought that vests were as dorky as it could get - I see I was wrong.

But to answer your question, my favorite way to change lenses is to lay down on a divan and have a brunette in spandex take my camera and change the lens for me, while four others gently cool me off by waving palm fronds and asking if I'd like another beer.

Any other way just doesn't do "it" anymore.

Yes.

I also have a blonde and redhead on staff

Sep 24, 2017 at 09:55 PM
ctgoldwing
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Your favorite way to change lenses in the field ?

That pix with the lens holders in the bottom of the bag brought me back a few days. In the 70's I had a Nikon hard carrying case with a metal base inside that had 'sockets' for my lens'. iirc there were three of them plus a mount for the camera.
I actually found it more inconvenient than having individual lens bags over my shoulder.

Sep 26, 2017 at 12:25 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Your favorite way to change lenses in the field ?

15Bit wrote:
But i have a camera bag. Doesn't everyone carry their stuff in a bag of some kind?

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:

+1

I use a bag specific to the situation I'm working. If it's an event or weddings, it's a Shootsac and I'll be shooting with two cameras. For travel with a different system, it's a small satchel or camera bag, each with internal pockets for each (very small) lens. Each lens has a specific pocket and I can find it instinctively by touch. Lens caps are only used in transit when gear definitely won't be required. At the destination, lenses live in their bags without caps.

Sep 26, 2017 at 06:37 PM
la puffin
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Your favorite way to change lenses in the field ?

When I used to shoot punk rock shows with my 1Dmk4, I'd use 3 primes and carried a small Crumpler bag. I got very fast at swapping lenses as the sea of bodies push and sway. It took 10 seconds to switch lenses and be firing away. Dodging flying beer and flaying limbs, I got it done. I never had time to look for extra plastic things. I used UV filters in case I couldn't find the front cap, but always found the rear caps (or just swapped).

Sep 29, 2017 at 08:08 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password