Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Milky Way setting over Lake Moogerah

bballfreak6

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Milky Way setting over Lake Moogerah

was hoping to get reflection of the MW when it got lower but then winds really picked up and the water was too disturbed to get any kind of reflections then

Milky Way setting over Lake Moogerah by Tony, on Flickr

Sep 19, 2017 at 01:49 PM
CheechzeppLn
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Milky Way setting over Lake Moogerah

Hello Tony, you have some weird light on the horizon. If that is all light pollution Im not understanding why the front side of that hill in the foreground is lit up more than the trees to the left of it. It looks like the merge you did was an automated one and a decent amount of ghosting appeared. I'd say give it another go and try manual blending. If this was a manual blend my apologies... just keep at it and you will achieve what you desire with patience and practice. This image has the potential to be awesome image, I like the tree in the foreground though I know its going to make that blend really rough.
On a different note. The milky way looks spot on as you probably had a tracker on it, though it is a very bright compared to everything else though. Either the foreground layer needs to be brightened or the sky needs to be a bit darker.

Charlie

Sep 24, 2017 at 02:03 PM
bballfreak6

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Milky Way setting over Lake Moogerah

CheechzeppLn wrote:
Hello Tony, you have some weird light on the horizon. If that is all light pollution Im not understanding why the front side of that hill in the foreground is lit up more than the trees to the left of it. It looks like the merge you did was an automated one and a decent amount of ghosting appeared. I'd say give it another go and try manual blending. If this was a manual blend my apologies... just keep at it and you will achieve what you desire with patience and practice. This image has the potential to be
...Show more

hi Charlie thanks very much for the feedback, there was definitely light pollution on the horizon, including from distant town and some random lights from campsite on other side of lake and i did blend the image manually in photoshop, not quite sure what you meant by the comment " the front side of that hill in the foreground is lit up more than the trees to the left of it" though

in terms of exposure the sky/milky way and lake/reflection was a single exposure non-tracked at 15 sec f/1.8 ISO 6400 and mountain/tree was single 10 min exposure at ISO 800 f/1.8...i actually darkened foreground to taste as that was just how i interpreted the scene cheers

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:42 PM
CheechzeppLn
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Milky Way setting over Lake Moogerah

The hill with the ridge (exposed rock) is strangely illuminated but just to the left of it the exposed rock the forest is very dark. It looks like the blend is just really uneven. Also it is not just the horizon where you have ghosting either, it is before the horizon and some around the tree.

Charlie

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

bballfreak6

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Milky Way setting over Lake Moogerah

CheechzeppLn wrote:
The hill with the ridge (exposed rock) is strangely illuminated but just to the left of it the exposed rock the forest is very dark. It looks like the blend is just really uneven. Also it is not just the horizon where you have ghosting either, it is before the horizon and some around the tree.

Charlie

hi Charlie i am not really sure regarding the uneven-ness all i can say is maybe because the different pockets of lights from the few different campsites and housings or what not scattered around, the trees/mountains were all under the same single exposure, the very distant peaks running along the horizon behind the main one at the front did come out "bluey" looking so maybe that's what was looking weird i am not sure...also when i was blending i zoomed in to like pixel level to get it as neat as i could so, not suggesting someone's more skilled at PS can't do a better job tho

cheers

Sep 25, 2017 at 01:06 AM
CheechzeppLn
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Milky Way setting over Lake Moogerah

You would know better than I, you were there. I guess the light pollution is reason for the weird foreground light and it wasn't the blend. Keep on shooting Tony, weird conditions won't always be confusing us along the way. Have a great day.

Charlie

Sep 25, 2017 at 01:54 AM
bballfreak6

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Milky Way setting over Lake Moogerah

haha that's it thanks mate you too!

Sep 25, 2017 at 02:25 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password