New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Nikon Batteries

silvermesa1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon Batteries

Looking for an economical place to purchase genuine Nikon batteries? Specifically the Nikon EN-EL15 Li-ion01 for the D810.

Looked at the usual large photo houses and E Bay. Read a few posts on other forums about counterfeit batteries made to look like Nikon even with the labeling. Started to get confused about buying off of E Bay. Not really looking for aftermarket. I would prefer a genuine Nikon.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Sep 18, 2017 at 08:59 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon Batteries

Don't know how good a price this is, but Adorama had them listed recently for $49.

Sep 18, 2017 at 11:35 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon Batteries

OEM battery prices are pretty well fixed. $49 for an EN-EL15 is the standard price. You don't really see them go on sale, but sometimes they are added to bundles.

There are reputable third party battery manufacturers like Watson, but the good ones are only $10 savings which is 0.3% of the cost of a D810 and IMO totally not worth it.

I would just buy the OEM ones from a reputable store at $49 and be done with it, in my opinion. You can get ~3000 shots out of a D810 before it dies depending on what you're doing, so presumably you don't need too many of them.

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:19 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon Batteries

Order from one of those places in Hong Kong like digital rev (if it's cheaper, you guys don't get as hammered by pricing as we do in euroland). Who cares if it's grey market for a battery.

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:48 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon Batteries

I have used 3rd party batteries since the N60. Of course, that was before Nikon bean counters realized they could rake in obscene profits selling batteries with a HUGE markup.

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:05 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon Batteries

the Nikon EN-EL15 Li-ion01 hasn't been manufactured in awhile. it has been replaced by the the Nikon EN-EL15 Li-ion20. and that is in the process of being replaced by the Nikon EN-EL15a

the 01 was replaced due to the electronics in the battery not being compatible with the D500. Nikon replaced the 01 with 20 batts free to all owners of the D500 who had sales receipts. now the 20 is essentially being renamed the EN-EL15a. all these batts are compatible with you particular camera body amongst others.

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:16 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon Batteries

the fact of the matter is in most circumstances the 3rd party batteries have varying lifespan on charge that is usually lower. pay less you will get less.

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:18 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon Batteries

I've used Watson that came with a new camera package, seems fine.
Suggest you pay the few dollars more for a real Nikon, it will last a number of years. It's the cost of a meal, which lasts only a few hours.

Sep 20, 2017 at 06:05 AM
TheRoosta

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon Batteries

STK does a respectable EN-EL15 2200mAh for $20, which receives consistently good reviews. I have two which I have been using with my D810 for three years without issue. In other words, fully charged they will last almost as long as the Nikon original. STK use Japanese sourced battery cells. Another highly rated alternative is the Vivitar 2500mAh Li-ion battery (2 pack for $40), although I have no personal experience of using those.

Sep 20, 2017 at 06:23 AM
Woodyg3
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon Batteries

I bought a couple of third party batteries (Wasabi) based on a positive review. Half the price, but also half the charge life. Not worth the savings. I'll stick with Nikon.

Sep 20, 2017 at 01:49 PM
DavidM5
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon Batteries

If you are planning to upgrade to a D850 in the future, the aftermarket batteries might stop working.
Luckily I only had one Phottix EL15 type battery which didn't work anymore with my new D850.
I included it with the D750 which I just sold.

I would just spring for the EL15a battery which are now grey instead of black.

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:23 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon Batteries

Never had a battery die midshoot. Then again, I don't spray and pray.

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:05 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon Batteries

there are more variables then "spray and pray" that affect battery life in use.

Sep 21, 2017 at 05:49 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon Batteries

The OP is clear on his stance on aftermarket batteries - he wants to know where he can buy so he gets a good price with a high probability that they aren't counterfeits.

Buy from Adorama, BH and a few other reputable vendors. Their prices are not unbelievable bargains but they are as good as it tends to get for genuine articles.

Don't buy from Ebay, where there are counterfeit products masking as the real thing once in a while and certainly don't buy from ebay. That seems pretty much the best strategy.

Those people that want to save a few dollars - well accept that you take a chance. But sometimes it's fine to take a chance while saveing ten bucks - especially if you want a good reason for the wife that you now really do need that new body that you've been eyeing.

Sep 21, 2017 at 06:29 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.