New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Let's adapt some glass.. or not.

clonardo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Let's adapt some glass.. or not.

After playing with an A7R II that's been properly-configured (that is, taken out of Idiot Mode defaults), I'm sold. I need one. I'm coming from Canon, and have the following lenses that I'm especially keen to adapt:

1. Canon 200/1.8L
  2. Sigma 85/1.4 Art
  3. Sigma 135/1.8 Art
  4. Canon 100/2.8L IS USM Macro

I've jumped to the end of some verrry long threads, and think that I have a general sense of where things stand, but the state of adapters seems to be evolving rapidly. My work is mainly portraits/fashion, and I'd love to be able to maintain Eye AF wherever possible.

In the opinions of those better-informed than myself, would a Sigma MC-11 with the latest firmware be sufficient for all of the above? Of these lenses, are there any where the Sony equivalent would be vastly superior to the adapted Canon/Sigma solution?

Also, I've been looking at a few Nikon lenses that have been tempting me (starting with the 58/1.4G), and would like to adapt those to the FE mount as well. I haven't seen quite as much talk about adapted Nikon lenses, so is there a consensus on a best adapter to use there (again, preserving Eye AF if possible)? Thanks in advance.

Sep 19, 2017 at 01:35 AM
Luvwine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Let's adapt some glass.. or not.

clonardo wrote:
After playing with an A7R II that's been properly-configured (that is, taken out of Idiot Mode defaults), I'm sold. I need one. I'm coming from Canon, and have the following lenses that I'm especially keen to adapt:

1. Canon 200/1.8L
  2. Sigma 85/1.4 Art
  3. Sigma 135/1.8 Art

I've jumped to the end of some verrry long threads, and think that I have a general sense of where things stand, but the state of adapters seems to be evolving rapidly. My work is mainly portraits/fashion, and I'd love to be able to maintain Eye AF wherever possible.

In the opinions of those better-informed than
...Show more

I will let others chime in who know more about Canon AF adapters, but I am pretty confident that most will say don't bother buying Nikon glass to adapt. Nikon on Sony is much more problematic than Canon on Sony. You have some great Canon glass. I would say use the Canon glass with either Metabones or Sigma adapters, but then when you want new glass, buy FE mount glass and avoid Nikon.

As for lenses, the Canon 200/1.8 is unique. There is no Sony equivalent at this point. A fast Sony 135 is expected before long. The best 135 now is a great lens, Batis 135, but it is F2.8. If that is not a deal breaker, it is a great lens. Otherwise, Sigma 135 is the best fast 135 out there. For 85, the 85/1.4 GM is a terrific lens. From my reading, it does not have a sharpness advantage over your Sigma 85/1.4 Art, however, the GM does have a fabulous rendering/bokeh quality that many like more than Sigma's offering. FE 90 Macro is great, but there is some copy variation. Hope this helps.

Edited on Sep 19, 2017 at 02:01 AM · View previous versions

Sep 19, 2017 at 01:57 AM
Charlie N
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Let's adapt some glass.. or not.

200 adapt
85, native GM
135 adapt
90 native

Sep 19, 2017 at 02:00 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Let's adapt some glass.. or not.

Charlie N wrote:
200 adapt
85, native GM
135 adapt
90 native

I would agree but not sure what adapter would work best with the 200 1.8

Sep 19, 2017 at 02:02 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Let's adapt some glass.. or not.

My advice is to take all of the anecdotal usage stories you're going to get with the understanding that most of us have used a single copy and weren't making direct comparisons between systems. It's always best to find out for yourself with your lenses, and, fortunately, you can rent both the Metabones and Sigma here... https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/photo/sony/lenses/adapters

It's a cheap way to be certain.

Sep 19, 2017 at 03:01 AM
clonardo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Let's adapt some glass.. or not.

freaklikeme wrote:
My advice is to take all of the anecdotal usage stories you're going to get with the understanding that most of us have used a single copy and weren't making direct comparisons between systems. It's always best to find out for yourself with your lenses, and, fortunately, you can rent both the Metabones and Sigma here... https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/photo/sony/lenses/adapters

It's a cheap way to be certain.

Good point. Maybe I'll do that with an A7R II before committing. Thanks.

Sep 19, 2017 at 03:36 AM
GabrielPhoto
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Let's adapt some glass.. or not.

clonardo wrote:

1. Canon 200/1.8L
  2. Sigma 85/1.4 Art
  3. Sigma 135/1.8 Art

In the opinions of those better-informed than
...Show more
I wont comment on Nikon but for Canon, I own the MC-11 and Metabones V (according to metabones performance wise is identical to IV). I prefer the Metabones easily over the MC-11 for all my lenses. The only lens that seemed to be a bit better with the MC-11 was the Tamron 15-30mm of the ones I have tried.
With the Metabones you get Eye AF with ANY canon lens or sigma that I have tried including my old 300mm 2.8 non is. Also the Eye AF works in Continuous mode. With the Sigma, it only works with Sigma lenses and in Single AF mode. If you change to Continuous it works as long as you do not to the left or right of the center area..then it stops working. Sigma officially does not support Continuous AF.
Another advantage of metabones is that you have two modes..green..which is usually faster and better for lowlight/low contrast..and Advanced which is the one that gives you native features.

I LOVE my Sigma 135mm Art so it sure gets my vote to keep it.
For 85mm from my test of two copies of the Sigma, vs Batis, vs Sony 1.8 vs the GM..the 85mm was for MY preferences the winner. And for portrait work I actually found it to be sharper than the Sigma which surprised me (and is the reason I got a second Sigma copy to confirm). Anyways, if you have seen the thread I posted a few hours ago..you know that the 85mm GM is a lens I use a LOT.
You can see a video I did here:

It has full size samples to download.
Here is one showing the adapters focusing:

Sadly I have no input about the 200mm 1.8 but I dream about owning it one day!

Good luck!

Sep 19, 2017 at 04:29 AM
BastianK
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Let's adapt some glass.. or not.

GMPhotography wrote:
I would agree but not sure what adapter would work best with the 200 1.8

Sigma MC-11 works well, Metabones Speedbooster didn't give me AF (didn't check FW though).

Alpine A110 by Bastian.K

Corporate Portrait by Bastian.K

Sep 19, 2017 at 06:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Charlie N
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Let's adapt some glass.. or not.

BastianK wrote:
Sigma MC-11 works well, Metabones Speedbooster didn't give me AF (didn't check FW though).

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4312/36201447005_1939e0a301_b.jpg
Alpine A110 by Bastian.K

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4312/35768583740_e93747478d_b.jpg
Corporate Portrait by Bastian.K

while the MC-11 does fine with Canon lenses, it doesnt do so well with sigma Art lenses, you would be limited to advanced mode and AF-s. It does poorly in AF-C with the 135A that I have. The metabones is about on the level in advance mode and AF-s and can AF much faster in AF-C with the 135A. Metabones is the better adapter.

Sep 19, 2017 at 02:10 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Let's adapt some glass.. or not.

I have three A9 bodies and have experimented with adapting many Nikkor and EF lenses. This is with the Vello for E/G Nikkors and Metabones V for EF lenses. In broad strokes I would say: MF for Nikkors, good but not great AF for the EF lenses.

For the fastest action use Native FE lenses especially the GMs. Also Also WA and UWAs from about 24mm and wider should be native since the Sony sensor is reputed to be curved and the short flange depth disadvantages reflex lenses at the edges. Of note are several features that the Native lenses have-the most important of which is advanced multi featured AF and handy MF.

That said I have had AF success with the EF 200mm F2.0 (and 1.4X TC), 135mm F2.0, 85mm F1.2 Mk I and 35mm F1.4 MK I and a few others. For the Nikkors the Vello had intermittently AF with the 105 F1.4 and others.Nikkors-mostly all fine for MF. There adaptors out there that will damage an A9 so be careful!

However, I want to re-emphasize for action work the Native lenses (24-70, 70-200 F2.8 in my experience) are way ahead of adapted lemses. Another parameter should be considered: Many Native Sony FE lenses AF at the selected F Stop. This is OK in you are wide open most of the time but not so good for strobes where you use work lights and flash at F8 p, etc. There are some Sony lenses that focus wide open though.

Sep 19, 2017 at 02:11 PM
clonardo
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Let's adapt some glass.. or not.

@BastianK- Thanks for the the confirmation, I read a few positive things about the MC-11 and 200/1.8L. I found a good deal on an MC-11 and just ordered one, and I'll probably pick up a Metabones as well when the time comes.

@GabrielPhoto- thanks for the info, I'll check the videos out later on. I did see your 85/1.4 GM thread- really great work.

Sep 19, 2017 at 05:55 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Let's adapt some glass.. or not.

clonardo wrote:
@BastianK- Thanks for the the confirmation, I read a few positive things about the MC-11 and 200/1.8L. I found a good deal on an MC-11 and just ordered one, and I'll probably pick up a Metabones as well when the time comes.

@GabrielPhoto- thanks for the info, I'll check the videos out later on. I did see your 85/1.4 GM thread- really great work.

If you have any Qs, let me know. Thanks !!!!

Sep 19, 2017 at 06:21 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Let's adapt some glass.. or not.

In general, I find the MC-11 works great with Canon AF lenses on a7R2. Not so hot with a7R -- stalls, but eventually achieves focus on a7R with 40 STM for example, but fast on a7R2.

I think you've made a wise choice to get started.

Sep 19, 2017 at 07:38 PM
artur5
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Let's adapt some glass.. or not.

My five cents : Go native as soon as you can.
That said, if Metabones provided one day Eye-AF and the other native features in green mode ( i.e. using phase detect AF or even hybrid AF) owners of Canon glass shouldn't need to be in a hurry to replace their glass. That's a big IF though.

Sep 20, 2017 at 08:58 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Let's adapt some glass.. or not.

Artur5: FYI Metabones "Green" mode has a blue led on the Metabones MKV.

So far with my A9s AF is way behind Native for EF and especially F mount lenses with 12+ lenses tested.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:38 PM
dalite
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Let's adapt some glass.. or not.

One adapter is over 3 times more expensive than the other one. Guess?

Sep 21, 2017 at 03:57 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password