FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · A room with a view

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A room with a view

Dave's kinda "street photography".
Inspired by Steve.

Fire tower along the BRP with one heck of a 360 view. From one of yesterdays hike.

My wife is the speck down on the ground waving up in the last image.
I don't know why she and our little mutt didn't want to climb on up there with me.

Thoughts

Dave

Room view

BRP #1

BRP #2

Tower shadow / wife

Sep 18, 2017 at 06:20 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A room with a view

The first has a little vertigo effect going on as you kinda "swirl" from left to right to left to right to left to right to ...

Not sure how I feel about the prismatic colors. Wonder how it would look if you desaturated those rogue colors ... that or too the whole thing to mono?

BRP #2 if my preferred, but I'm not crazy about the turn-around road. Prefer the linear road of the BRP #1.

Sep 18, 2017 at 07:22 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A room with a view

Re: BRP's, is the use of haze filter warranted for the backgrounds? I only ask because landscape processing is an art I know little about, but I notice that bluish effect in the background. The foregrounds seem perfect.

Now tower shadow on the other hand, is my kind of image. Talk about vertigo! My wife would see eye to eye with your wife as mine has vertigo and would never climb that tower.

Would be interested to see the tower photo in B&W as a comparision.

Steve

Sep 18, 2017 at 07:43 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A room with a view

Haze filter is a thought ... but since it is the BLUE Ridge Parkway, it has a somewhat fitting component to it. Could go either way, I suppose.

Sep 18, 2017 at 08:13 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A room with a view

RustyBug wrote:
The first has a little vertigo effect going on as you kinda "swirl" from left to right to left to right to left to right to ...

Not sure how I feel about the prismatic colors. Wonder how it would look if you desaturated those rogue colors ... that or too the whole thing to mono?

BRP #2 if my preferred, but I'm not crazy about the turn-around road. Prefer the linear road of the BRP #1.

Prismatic colors? Can you splain to me Lucy? Are you talking about the reflections in the glass or outside or..?
If it's outside I'm wondering if my CPL might have caused a shift while I rotated around?

I might try the mono idea with that one and see how it looks. Thanks!

Dave

Sep 19, 2017 at 08:52 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A room with a view

eeneryma wrote:
Re: BRP's, is the use of haze filter warranted for the backgrounds? I only ask because landscape processing is an art I know little about, but I notice that bluish effect in the background. The foregrounds seem perfect.

Now tower shadow on the other hand, is my kind of image. Talk about vertigo! My wife would see eye to eye with your wife as mine has vertigo and would never climb that tower.

Would be interested to see the tower photo in B&W as a comparision.

Steve

BRP = Blue Ridge Parkway as Kent mentioned. I did use a polarizer on these shots which is why the colors and clouds pop the way they do. I don't us UV haze filters but I did give them a slight kiss with LRCC's dehaze. I didn't want to go to crazy with it as it tends to make things a little too contrasty for my taste.

As for the blue in the distance, yes they do actually look like that to your naked eyes. It's actually caused by several things such as hydrocarbon particles released by certain trees that react with natural ozone molecules and then there is oxygen and nitrogen molecules in the air that scatter shorter wavelengths of light which is at the blue/violet end of the spectrum.

So yep, those mountains are blue. I knew folks would comment on that so I had already warmed them considerably to reduce the blue's. My socc images are much much bluer than what you see here.

I'll take a look at the tower shadow image in mono as well as the inside shot as Kent suggested.

Dave

Sep 19, 2017 at 09:08 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A room with a view

BRP 2 for me too. Love the vista and clouds.

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:17 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.