New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Calibration issues/questions

Abuttolph
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Calibration issues/questions

I recently purchased a new Windows laptop and today I tried to calibrate the monitor. The colorimeter that I have is a Lacie Blue Eye Pro, which is several years old, but I am guessing should still work ok. The target settings that I used were 5500K, 2.2 gamma, and 100 cd/m^2. After running the calibration and the Classic test, the results were less than optimal (don't recall the numbers now, but they were not as good as they should have been).

I also simply visually compared images on the laptop (after calibration) to my Eizo monitor (which is calibrated using the same parameters) and they looks quite different. The laptop is warmer and colors are really different between the two. The Eizo monitor self-calibrates with a built-in colorimeter.

Any ideas as to what is going on with the laptop calibration? I am puzzled by the poor calibration.

Thanks.

Sep 18, 2017 at 04:36 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Calibration issues/questions

Exactly what laptop is it? The level of calibration you will be able to get depends a lot on the screen type. Also, some older colorometers have problems dealing with LED backlit screens (like laptops), or the screen sometimes cannot be calibrated at the brightness level desired.

The second piece of advice I have is to keep your expectations low if you're used to a proper hardware calibrated Eizo. Anytime you rely on software calibration, it just isn't going to be that great if you're picky about color, and requires frequent re-calibration. All it's doing is sending rough instructions to your GPU to modify the color. With your Eizo which presumably has hardware calibration, it probably has a 14bit LUT which is vastly superior to any kind of software calibration you are going to get with that laptop. I would be surprised if you could get your laptop screen to come close to the Eizo. The other beauty of hardware calibration is you can plug your Eizo monitor into your laptop, and still get perfect color because it's not dependent on anything external. You are comparing pretty well the best and worst case calibration scenarios, so there is going to be a big gap between the two if you are concerned about color accuracy.

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:35 AM
Abuttolph
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Calibration issues/questions

CanadaMark wrote:
Exactly what laptop is it? The level of calibration you will be able to get depends a lot on the screen type. Also, some older colorometers have problems dealing with LED backlit screens (like laptops), or the screen sometimes cannot be calibrated at the brightness level desired.

The second piece of advice I have is to keep your expectations low if you're used to a proper hardware calibrated Eizo. Anytime you rely on software calibration, it just isn't going to be that great if you're picky about color, and requires frequent re-calibration. All it's doing is sending rough instructions to your
...Show more

Thanks for the response. I suspect that the older colorimeter is the issue, or the software that goes with it. The new laptop is this model: ASUS ZenBook Pro UX501VW-US71 15.6-Inch 4K Touchscreen Laptop and I think that I should be able to calibrate it reasonably well, although probably not perfectly for the reasons that you suggested. The difference between what I am seeing with the two monitors is substantial. I am going to work with the laptop again and see if I can improve on things - I really would like to find a reasonable avenue to do that without having to buy a whole new colorimeter. Lacie has not updated their software for the Blue Eye Pro in several years.

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:15 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.