FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Price drop: Zeiss Batis and Loxia lenses

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Price drop: Zeiss Batis and Loxia lenses

Price drop: Zeiss Batis and Loxia lenses
Zeiss Batis and Loxia lenses are currently being sold at a discount at B&H Photo. (Add to cart for lower price)
Some lenses also have 4% Rewards on top of the discount.

Here is a link showing all Batis and Loxia lenses with a lower price:

List of discounted Zeiss Batis and Loxia lenses

Sep 18, 2017 at 03:51 PM
LostBoyNZ
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Price drop: Zeiss Batis and Loxia lenses

Here we go:

Loxia:

21mm $1,424 (normally $1,499)
35mm $1,234 (normally $1,299)
50mm $899 (normally $949)
85mm $1,329 (normally $1,399)

Batis:

18mm $1,424 (normally $1,499)
25mm $1,234 (normally $1,299)
85mm $1,139 (normally $1,199)
135mm $1,899 (normally $1,999)

Sep 18, 2017 at 03:59 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Price drop: Zeiss Batis and Loxia lenses

Before anyone says anything about poor sales it could very well be just bad marketing pricing . A price of 1249 sounds a whole lot cheaper than 51 dollars when you price it at 1299. That 1299 used to be a good marketing gimmick but the public has got used to the 1 dollar difference of 1300. It simply don't work anymore just been to overdone. Knocking it down to 1249 sounds more like 1200 and pocket change. Not saying things where overpriced to begin with and maybe sales are not what they would like to see or new product is coming. But that dollar marketing trick is worn out.

Sep 18, 2017 at 04:16 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Price drop: Zeiss Batis and Loxia lenses

Typically if things are selling like hotcakes...prices don't get lowered. Now this could have been Zeiss's plan all along to lower the prices after the initial flock have gone through...but guaranteed if they were selling as good or better than planned, the price would not be lowered.

Sep 18, 2017 at 05:23 PM
ChrisLovesUgly
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Price drop: Zeiss Batis and Loxia lenses

5%

Might be trying to shore up a few sales/customers before Sony or Sigma release some lenses.

Sep 18, 2017 at 05:56 PM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Price drop: Zeiss Batis and Loxia lenses

Or... Sometimes things just go on sale... :-D

Sep 18, 2017 at 06:06 PM
3catsinky
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Price drop: Zeiss Batis and Loxia lenses

how do you get the 4%. i have my eyes on the 18, at somepoint.

Sep 18, 2017 at 06:56 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Price drop: Zeiss Batis and Loxia lenses

LostBoyNZ wrote:
Here we go:

Loxia:

21mm $1,424 (normally $1,499)
35mm $1,234 (normally $1,299)
50mm $899 (normally $949)
85mm $1,329 (normally $1,399)

Batis:

18mm $1,424 (normally $1,499)
25mm $1,234 (normally $1,299)
85mm $1,139 (normally $1,199)
135mm $1,899 (normally $1,999)

Yeap, it looks like they lowered 5% across the board. Some lenses have an extra 4% in the form of rewards for an almost 10% off. I believe the 4% rewards comes in a form a a gift card after 30 days of the purchase. (To make sure you kept the lens)

Sep 18, 2017 at 07:10 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Price drop: Zeiss Batis and Loxia lenses

chez wrote:
Typically if things are selling like hotcakes...prices don't get lowered. Now this could have been Zeiss's plan all along to lower the prices after the initial flock have gone through...but guaranteed if they were selling as good or better than planned, the price would not be lowered.

This is just a tickle to get people on the fence about purchasing to jump off and break out their credit cards, and the fact that they can't advertise the pricing means it's not a Zeiss sale, but a B&H sale. It's a relatively slow time for retail. People are still recovering from summer overspending and school starting, and they aren't ready to think about Christmas, when there will likely be bigger discounts sanctioned by Zeiss and offered by all retailers.

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:38 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Price drop: Zeiss Batis and Loxia lenses

How do people feel about the 18? If you were choosing between that one and the Sony 12-24, which way would you go?

Sep 19, 2017 at 01:17 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Price drop: Zeiss Batis and Loxia lenses

Arka wrote:
How do people feel about the 18? If you were choosing between that one and the Sony 12-24, which way would you go?

It's the best UWA I've ever used.

But, variation among both lenses can be enough to make one sharper than the other in certain regions.

That said, I bought the prime (at the time the only other option was the 16-35 f/4) primarily for the aperture and weight-- and that I love primes. In addition, while my good copy of the 18 was sharper than my good copy of the 16-35 f/4, that wasn't my impetus for buying the prime. And in any case, where the prime was better for me in IQ was peripheral rendering (particularly, but not limited, to out of focus regions), microcontrast, and control of coma (it's a phenomenal astro lens).

For me, such a purchase again would come down to: aperture, focal length, and bulk/weight. And for that reason I'd go back to the prime.

Ultimately, if you need or highly want f/2.8, only the prime (or a different zoom) will do. And if you need 12-16mm or 20-24mm, only the zoom will do.

Sep 19, 2017 at 03:03 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Price drop: Zeiss Batis and Loxia lenses

Arka wrote:

I went with the zoom. The versatility of the other focal lengths and the opportunity to run a two camera/two zoom hand held kit is very appealing to me. From what I've seen, the Batis 18 is a better lens at 18mm, but then I need a 12 or 14, plus a 24 (Batis 25). At that point, cost and weight are considerably higher for a three lens prime 12-18-25 than the Sony 12-24G. Plus, I already have the 17 TSE, which is superior for my purposes to the Batis 18.

I can certainly see the appeal of the Batis 18, but not practical for me.

Sep 19, 2017 at 08:06 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Price drop: Zeiss Batis and Loxia lenses

My 12-24 beat the 18 and I had a great copy of the 18. Just happen to have a great 12-24 on hand.

Sep 19, 2017 at 09:15 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Price drop: Zeiss Batis and Loxia lenses

I don't have either the Batis 18 nor the 12-24...but if I was to choose, I'd look very carefully at the Batis due to weight. Image wise, both are excellent and really if pixel peeping is what it takes to see the difference...then both are goid enough. Weight becomes my next criteria and this is where the Batis wins for me. I don't see myself needing extreme wide much so the lure of the 12-18 is not so great.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, just depends on your priorities.

Sep 19, 2017 at 09:28 AM
MrTMan
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Price drop: Zeiss Batis and Loxia lenses

I have a strong bias against zooms with the A7rII, given the cropability. Most of the time, 18mp is good enough for me. So rather than have a 12-24, I'd rather have a 12mm and an 18mm which, together (and through cropping) can cover the same range. And then the advantage is that you always have the option of leaving one of them at home in order to save weight.

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:35 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Price drop: Zeiss Batis and Loxia lenses

MrTMan wrote:
I have a strong bias against zooms with the A7rII, given the cropability. Most of the time, 18mp is good enough for me. So rather than have a 12-24, I'd rather have a 12mm and an 18mm which, together (and through cropping) can cover the same range. And then the advantage is that you always have the option of leaving one of them at home in order to save weight.

I think the same way but the 12-24/4G is really amazing at 12mm. (better than any prime I've tried)

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:19 PM
twomblywhite

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Price drop: Zeiss Batis and Loxia lenses

Arka wrote:

Loxia 21 😄

Sep 21, 2017 at 08:13 AM
twomblywhite

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Price drop: Zeiss Batis and Loxia lenses

Fred Miranda wrote:
I think the same way but the 12-24/4G is really amazing at 12mm. (better than any prime I've tried)

You like it more than your cv 12? The form-factor of the voigtlanders is just so nice.

I guess it's ultimately horses for courses.

Sep 21, 2017 at 08:17 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Price drop: Zeiss Batis and Loxia lenses

twomblywhite wrote:
You like it more than your cv 12? The form-factor of the voigtlanders is just so nice.

I guess it's ultimately horses for courses.

Form-factor definitely Voigtlander 12 but IQ is really no contest even at small apertures.

Sep 21, 2017 at 09:01 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Price drop: Zeiss Batis and Loxia lenses

GMPhotography wrote:
My 12-24 beat the 18 and I had a great copy of the 18. Just happen to have a great 12-24 on hand.

That's a pretty amorphous statement, Guy.

I'm sure your 12-24 beat the Batis at least in all FLs besides 18mm. I'm also sure the 18mm at least beat the 12-24 @ 18mm and f/2.8. In both cases, the other lens simply can't shoot at those FL or FL/Aperture combinations. So it's hard to simply say in an absolute way that one beats the other.

Maybe your 12-24 was sharper than the Batis at matching or non-matching apertures either totally across the frame or in important ways.

But beat is a very general term. In terms of rendering? Flare control? Microcontrast? OOF peripheral rendering? Tonal separation and color? Etc, etc?

Both lenses are stupendously good in a lot of ways-- IQ among them. Still, I can't believe many people are picking one vs the other on the basis of IQ @ 18mm alone.

I suspect for the vast majority of folks they are deciding far more based on the FL, aperture, and physical dimensions as the deciding factors between these particular lenses-- because unless you're shooting both on an A7rII and pixel peeping tremendously I doubt any single IQ factor is going to stand out across any breadth of shots.

One is a prime that opens to f/2.8. One is a zoom that opens to f/4. That's a big part of the picture right there. Both are sharp as all get-out, it seems, and copy variation is enough to put one or the other ahead-- meaning one can't draw conclusions from a small set of one-to-one comparisons. Luckily, that sharp as all get-out quality means we can probably look beyond sharpness as the deciding factor. Which is a nice place to be!

Sep 21, 2017 at 09:11 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.