New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

Most commonly used Studio Lights

Elijah
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

My first strobe was the Elinchrom mixed with Alienbees. Then sold both and had two Enid twins for a short period of time.
When the B1's came out, I bought a new one with an extra battery and Nikon Air remote and I was hooked on it for life. Now have B1's and B2's as my only strobes in addition to mixed modifiers. I strongly believe Elinchrom makes some of the best modifiers, even though most do not accept grids.

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:48 AM
Mark_EL
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

I've started out with a set of Elinchrom D-Lites 400Ws in 2009 and been using them ever since. In the beginning I combined them with a couple of speedlites but nowadays I combine them with a couple of Elinchrom Quadra's, which I also use a lot on location.

Sep 24, 2017 at 09:30 AM
Mr645
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

Perhaps I'm the odd one out. I use Dynalite (AC powered) and Lumedyne for battery powered needs. Mostly Q-flash heads on the Lumedyne

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:41 AM
JThomas
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

I've used Speedotron, Comet, ProPhoto, Elincrom and Dyanlite back in film days working at commercial studios. Liked the Comet best overall, but the Dyanlites were great to travel with. Compact, realtively light weight and well built. Got hernias working with the Speedos. I bought Bowens monolights for my studio at work. For location (environmental portraits), I use speedlights most of the time. Have about 7 Nikon SB-XXX's, Bowens accessory compatible speedlight mounts and Phottix Odin radios. No more hernias lately.

Sep 29, 2017 at 05:37 PM
sungphoto
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

Definitely depends on the segment of photogs you're asking, and things have changed since cheap alternative like Godox have come out.

Generally the photogs I know that are doing well in their business and have a mature income stream/client base, use profotos (especially the ones that travel a lot and require rentals where they go). I'd say by far the most common strobes my network of photogs use is Alienbees.

Godox is definitely starting to eat into that low/mid market but most of my professional photog friends still stick with either alienbees or profoto. The low/mid market ones are already invested in a set of 3-4 strobes so it doesn't make much sense for them to throw that out, and the ones that use profoto wouldn't switch to something like godox.

Sep 30, 2017 at 03:15 AM
Mr645
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

One thing that has kept me in the Dynalite system is their new 400ws packs. Super small and can dial way down, like 12 ws and the split that into 2 heads. Even shooting with modern DSLRs at 3200 ISO and beyond I can make use of the packs.

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:14 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

It depends on the industry. Advertising/commercial/fashion will be profoto because of the demands, weddings will be more of godox, paul buff.

voidsherpa wrote:
Shot to shot variation. The biggest difference I noticed right away with Profoto shooting on white tabletop was the consistent output each and every pop.

Zack Arias was using them on creativelive with a meter and seeing them almost 1/3rd of a stop off between flashes was cringeable.

Oct 02, 2017 at 10:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

njfantastico
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

I have used Paul C Buff lights for more than 15 years and i enjoy how simple they are, durable, and have fantastic customer support. I had 5000 series can lights in the beginning and they worked very well. I moved into White Lightnings and they were SO HEAVY, but did very well. I moved into Alien Bees as they were new, light weight, and easy to use. I dropped one, early on, out of warranty, the unit was fixed at no charge.

I am purchasing a Flashpoint 600 to use at Weddings, we shall see how it does.

I do head shots, models, product, Weddings, and magazine work with the AB units

Oct 03, 2017 at 05:56 PM
milkod2001
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

Bowens Gemini 750 pro x Gemini 400R. They are almost 8 years old ,still working quite well.

Oct 03, 2017 at 06:15 PM
story_teller
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

Started out with Alien Bees and moved to Profoto's a while back. Very consistent and reliable.

Oct 04, 2017 at 05:22 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

SOS Normans. 2 P800-Ds & a P2000X power packs & 8 LH2400H flash heads + 1 bare bulb head and a whole lot of modifiers (snoots, barndoors, scrims, grids, softboxes, umbrellas, reflectors, stands & booms). light output > +6,000 watts seconds. i'll never use that much strobe power in studio, but it's good having it to brag about it, lol.

Oct 04, 2017 at 07:52 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

I need 1000J to light a room with bare bulb, and get the energy with a pack. Other times, the 0.25J setting on Speedlight is just right for a tabletop accent. It's hard to cover that range with one lighting system.

Oct 04, 2017 at 11:40 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

I ave a speedotron kit for studio use I also have a large Elinchrom quadra kits for bot studio and location uses plus speedlite kit to augment both

Oct 30, 2017 at 09:37 AM
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password