New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Most commonly used Studio Lights

speakit101
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

What lights are most of you guys using in studio if you don't mind me asking? Or what is the most preferred?

Sep 18, 2017 at 05:33 PM
lifthard2001
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

Cheetah for me in studio and location

Sep 18, 2017 at 07:28 PM
rico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

My studio mix is Profoto and Speedlights.

Sep 18, 2017 at 10:30 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

I think that these days you see a lot of professionals who are studio shooters using Profoto, at least in the major cities. Back in the day (70's, 80's, 90's) it was Balcar, Norman and Speedotron with a sprinkling of really high end shooters using Broncolor but Balcar is gone and Norman and Speedo seem to be shadows of their former selves. All you have to do is look and see what's available at rental houses, and that's mostly Profoto now, which you can rent in any major city. Me, I've still got ten Balcar packs and 13 or 14 heads and a great repair guy here in L.A., so as long as they keep running, with even my first 2400 pack from March '84 still going strong, will use them till they all die a horrible death. Have also started adding Buff Einstein to the mix with great results there.

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:06 AM
tdlavigne
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

I use Speedotron. Does everything I need and is cheap on the used market. Only downside is you don't get the super short flash durations of the Broncolors and some of the Profotos, but that's usually not an issue for me and my style of shooting. Built like tanks too so I can rely on them. Would love Broncolor, but if I'm not making $250k/year I don't see the point in 100k in lighting...maybe when I win the Powerball though

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:32 AM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

I own Profoto Acutes and a Kino Flo kit.

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:56 AM
jlafferty
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

I own Flashpoint, after having gone from speedlights to Speedotron. I shoot with the in studio and on location. When I'm hired to work in a studio it's usually Profoto.

Sep 19, 2017 at 02:04 AM
voidsherpa

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

Profoto here. Speedo 4803cx's if it's big warehouse stuff (don't like them but cheap)

I'm assuming most common brand these days is alien bee's due to accessibility.

Sep 19, 2017 at 02:44 AM
clonardo
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

I've read that the most common brands you'll see in rental houses are Profoto (US) and Elinchrom (Europe). In the US, Profoto is the solid, go-to choice for many professionals, with Godox (rebranded as FlashPoint/Cheetah Stand) making a dent for work that's less color critical. Lots of people also like the Paul C. Buff gear (Alien Bees, Digibees, and Einsteins), but they can't compete with the newer Chinese stuff (see: Godox) in terms of features/flexibility.

Like anything else, your choice of system will probably be a bit more nuanced than prevailing market forces, and there are pluses and minuses to any of these.

Sep 19, 2017 at 02:55 AM
johnvanr
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

Profoto for me. Many in the US use Alienbee. Most pros use Profoto, so most rental houses have Profoto. Itís expensive, though, which is why mine is mostly bought used.

Sep 19, 2017 at 03:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

Bought my first Speedo 2400 w/s pack in 1988, still got it and use it along with my seven 102 heads and a large selection of reflectors. Added a Speedo 1205 later when a DIY pack died. I have used Norman, Broncolour, Balcar, Dyna Lite, Profoto, Elinchrome and some odd UK 220 volt strobes in my past, settled on Speedotron for durability and simplicity and they have never let me down. It's funny though, the early Profoto's were crap, they were fragile and overheated all the time. Now they are the desired system, , I have never had a second look at them.

Sep 19, 2017 at 05:40 AM
neoshazam
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

Einsteins

Sep 19, 2017 at 05:53 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

When I had my studio ('08 through '13), I used Alien Bees. I shot products almost exclusively and found no need for more expensive lights.

Sep 20, 2017 at 01:22 AM
voidsherpa

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

cwebster wrote:
When I had my studio ('08 through '13), I used Alien Bees. I shot products almost exclusively and found no need for more expensive lights.

Shot to shot variation. The biggest difference I noticed right away with Profoto shooting on white tabletop was the consistent output each and every pop.

Sep 20, 2017 at 09:26 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

voidsherpa wrote:
Shot to shot variation. The biggest difference I noticed right away with Profoto shooting on white tabletop was the consistent output each and every pop.

I think that issue is overstated. I saw little shot-to-shot variation when settings didn't change. Admittedly the color temp changed as flash power was varied, but I had gotten in the habit of shooting a WhiBal reference with every different setup and exposure level, so didn't worry about it.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:24 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

All of my "studio" work is on location, so I've migrated to Elinchrom ELB 400's. Portable, independent of power sources, plenty of battery power, and I love the Elinchrom modifiers.

Sep 21, 2017 at 05:14 AM
Taemobig

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

I work as a professional fashion photographer in LA. Most of the photographers I know, including me, work with Profoto.

Sep 21, 2017 at 05:29 AM
Conner999
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

Profoto ProB2s, AcuteBs, Compacts600s. Fast duration on the ProB2s, simple analog controls and 100% dead-nuts reliability all around.

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:16 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

Mostly Profoto. Occasional Einstein when the need arises. Definite preference for Profoto.

Sep 22, 2017 at 05:24 PM
Sid Ceaser
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Most commonly used Studio Lights

I've been kicking around the same Alien Bee's that I bought in 2003. Not the fanciest lights, but they've taken a hundred falls and I've never even had to replace a flash-tube.

Also use a mix of Vivitar 285's, Canon, Sunpak and Lumedyne speedlights and smaller packs when needed.

Cheers,
Sid

Sep 22, 2017 at 06:18 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password