Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Nikon manager says professional photographers don't use F...

cvrle59
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Nikon manager says professional photographers don't use Fujifilm only FF

molson wrote:
I think you are right - other regions seem to have fairly good Nikon service, but not Canada. The only one here that is worse than Nikon is Sony. Canon, Fuji, Olympus, and Panasonic are all pretty good.

I visited Nikon service in Mississauga for 3 different problems, and all I can say very professional, so to be generous about Canada, I would be little more conservative.

Oct 07, 2017 at 01:53 PM
molson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Nikon manager says professional photographers don't use Fujifilm only FF

cvrle59 wrote:
I visited Nikon service in Mississauga for 3 different problems, and all I can say very professional, so to be generous about Canada, I would be little more conservative.

Unfortunately, not everyone in Canada lives within driving distance of Nikon Canada's only remaining service centre. When you have to ship stuff to them, even on an NPS "pro rush", they take their sweet time getting around to looking at it. Even when I lived in Calgary, the fastest turnaround I ever got was two weeks - for a firmware update. Most times, it was 6 to 8 weeks even for simple repairs. By comparison, Canon's service centre is also in Mississauga, and since Canon's revamp of their service department about 10 years ago, the slowest turnaround I ever got from them was three days - including shipping from Calgary to Mississauga and back again. Maybe when they have to deal with the customer in person, they feel more compelled to do a good job?

It wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't had to send in every single new Nikon camera I bought in the last 5 years due to recalls and/or factory defects. Now that I live in a slightly more remote location on the west coast, the turnaround time is even slower, so being a Nikon user means having to own more costly spare equipment (i.e., rapidly depreciating camera bodies) than would otherwise be necessary.

In the "good old days", Nikon had a service centre in the Vancouver area (first West Vancouver, and then Richmond) and the techs there were great. You could call and talk to them, and they would even service Nikon USA's grey market stuff. When digital cameras arrived, they weren't set up to fully service them, so they started having to send gear to Mississauga, and the service when rapidly downhill from there.

Based on my experiences with the sad state of their service department, and their fairly obvious lack of quality control in manufacturing, I wonder how a full-time pro in this country could afford to use Nikon gear nowadays - unless they have a spouse that supports them.

Oct 07, 2017 at 02:57 PM
sungphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Nikon manager says professional photographers don't use Fujifilm only FF

About half of the pro photogs I know either owns a Fuji camera as a personal or secondary camera, or is pondering getting one.

That said, I personally don't know any professional photographer that uses a Fuji for their main professional kit.

I think that says less about the tech, and more about professionals (meaning people that shoot full time as their primary means of income) being risk averse about changes to critical parts of their business.

Oct 24, 2017 at 04:29 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password