New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Tips for nailing focus with Loxia?

digital_AM
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Tips for nailing focus with Loxia?

Fred Miranda wrote:
I've tested many copies of the Loxia 35/2. I've had some copies where the extreme edges only became very good at f/10 and others at f/9.
My latest copy performs a little different and the very corners already look very good at f/7.1. There is small improvement at f/8 but none at f/9.

Thank you Fred. You have a great copy.

Sep 18, 2017 at 02:04 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Tips for nailing focus with Loxia?

digital_AM wrote:
Thank you Fred. You have a great copy.

Finally!

Sep 18, 2017 at 02:28 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Tips for nailing focus with Loxia?

DavidBM wrote:
My version no for the 2/35 is 0.1; but that doesn't explain it because Fred has 0.2 and presumably the latest A7rII firmware and is sill getting the E 35mm etc name. Weird!

Very odd David. Yes, I have the latest A7RII firmware as well. (v4.00)

My Loxia 35/2 is version 0.2 but My Loxia 21/2.8 is version 0.1...

No sure how to update this firmware or what changed from 0.1 to 0.2.

As far as I can see, Zeiss only offer online firmware updates for the Touit line:
https://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/us/service/download-center.html

Sep 18, 2017 at 02:29 AM
Chris_88
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Tips for nailing focus with Loxia?

My Loxias also show as E 21/35 in the EXIF.

As for peaking/MF, I haven't had any issues with the Loxias. I'd set peaking to high, but will try with the low setting, following Fred's recommendations. I usually make sure to check more than one part of the frame with magnified view to deal with field curvature and the like.

Now the CV 65 is a different matter. Focusing on a part of a flower or leaf at close to MFD, faster than f4 proved close to impossible due to wind-induced motion. I cursed quite a bit. This is where AF does come in handy, despite all the talk about AF being of no use for macro photography.

Sep 18, 2017 at 05:56 AM
dgpfotografia
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Tips for nailing focus with Loxia?

I know that it is a bit of a stretch... but maybe the problem is different Lightroom versions?

Fred Miranda wrote:
Very odd David. Yes, I have the latest A7RII firmware as well. (v4.00)

My Loxia 35/2 is version 0.2 but My Loxia 21/2.8 is version 0.1...

No sure how to update this firmware or what changed from 0.1 to 0.2.

As far as I can see, Zeiss only offer online firmware updates for the Touit line:
https://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/us/service/download-center.html

Sep 18, 2017 at 06:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

d831
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Tips for nailing focus with Loxia?

dgpfotografia wrote:
I know that it is a bit of a stretch... but maybe the problem is different Lightroom versions?

I was wondering the same. Or perhaps even the way OS X displays it vs Win?

Sep 18, 2017 at 07:44 AM
Wanny
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Tips for nailing focus with Loxia?

My only complaint of the Loxia 21 was how hard it was to focus to infinity and around it.

Sep 18, 2017 at 01:24 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Tips for nailing focus with Loxia?

Chris_88 wrote:
My Loxias also show as E 21/35 in the EXIF.

As for peaking/MF, I haven't had any issues with the Loxias. I'd set peaking to high, but will try with the low setting, following Fred's recommendations. I usually make sure to check more than one part of the frame with magnified view to deal with field curvature and the like.

Now the CV 65 is a different matter. Focusing on a part of a flower or leaf at close to MFD, faster than f4 proved close to impossible due to wind-induced motion. I cursed quite a bit. This is where AF
...Show more

You really want the lowest possible setting given the ambient light. This will avoid the false positives

Outdoors full sun you should really be on low setting. So if in low you know can focus when the dancing ants increase. But if your in Medium let's say too many dancing ants can lead to a false postive as its seeing a broader amount of lower contrast.

focus peaking is a little misunderstood as folks think the more ants the more in focus. That's true but you want to be reading the lowest setting given the light output otherwise you get the false positives. So one must start with the lowest possible setting first than focus from there.

Sep 18, 2017 at 01:46 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Tips for nailing focus with Loxia?

I don't use peaking as I found it has a lot of "wiggle room". Same goes for the internal level -- lots of tolerance for error. Same for evaluative metering -- closely tied to center AF point (only one I use).

Still, even with these limitations, using the 12.5X magnification is terrific and I love the snappy manual focus of the Loxias.

Good luck on your transition to the Sony gear -- the final image is rewarding!

Sep 18, 2017 at 03:18 PM
Chris_88
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Tips for nailing focus with Loxia?

GMPhotography wrote:
You really want the lowest possible setting given the ambient light. This will avoid the false positives

Outdoors full sun you should really be on low setting. So if in low you know can focus when the dancing ants increase. But if your in Medium let's say too many dancing ants can lead to a false postive as its seeing a broader amount of lower contrast.

focus peaking is a little misunderstood as folks think the more ants the more in focus. That's true but you want to be reading the lowest setting given the light output otherwise you get
...Show more

Thanks for the explanation, Guy. I'll use low and see how that serves me.

Sep 18, 2017 at 09:24 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password