Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · What's next? (Gear upgrade help)

saywhuut
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What's next? (Gear upgrade help)

I've been out of the game for a while, however when going through my archives of old photos of the family, past trips, and a few forgotten wildlife/lansdscape keepers I'm re-sparked to get back into capturing memories.

I've got the Canon 5D classic, and I truly love this camera, but I find myself needing higher ISO a lot even with my 50 1.4 shooting. What I need help with is this question from you all who have much newer and better gear: When you print out some 8x10 and a little larger to frame up on the wall to keep the memories alive, what is the level of difference you can tell from old equipment like my 5D classic vs a 5D MK III/IV, 6D series, Nikon D810, Nikon D850, etc at higher ISO?

I want something good with higher ISO, like 1600 ISO and clean. I'd like to stay full frame and stay with Canon if it makes sense quality wise (honestly just because it's what I'm familiar with). I've read tons of reviews of various bodies, and I'm appreciative of the technical critiques, however I just need some real life feedback of what looks good to hang up on the wall at higher ISOs and keep memories alive.

Your feedback and help is much appreciated!

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:44 AM
StarNut
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What's next? (Gear upgrade help)

I'll give you my take.

My first DSLR was the 10D when it was new. I kept that for years, finally replacing it with a 5D2 from Canon loyalty program. Then I bought a 5D3 new. I still have the 5D3, and I also have a 5DSR.

Each new generation is some amount better than the previous in things like DR, high-ISO noise, frame rate, pixel-count and pixel quality. I am quite confident you would be blown away by the quality of a more modern camers, compared to the original 5D.

My 5D3 will print just fine at 20"x30" (I haven't tried larger). It's a great camera, still, and the files at 1600 are ok (not "clean," mind you, but you can work with them).

Best of all, you can get a low-mileage 5D3 for $1500, now that the 5D4 and 5DS are out.

Mark

Sep 17, 2017 at 12:21 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What's next? (Gear upgrade help)

I never owned the original 5D, but I heavily used two 5D II, two 5D III and now two 5D IV bodies as an editorial photographer.

1. The 5D II has wonderfully juicy color and was the first full frame to shoot HD video, but its autofocus is miserable for action and the high ISO perforance is so-so by today's standards. Great for well-lit, non-action scenarios.

2. The 5D III is head-and-shoulders superior to the II for action, autofocus and a solid-performing ISO at 6400. In good light with non-action, it looks the same as the II, but is a stellar performer in low light or for action. Superior build quality and water resistance.

3. The 5D IV is Canon's latest and greatest mid-level pro body. Everything is just a hair better than the III and light years beyond the II. Higher ISO performance if you need it, higher fps, even better autofocus and a 30 megapixel (instead of 22 megapixel image). Even better build quality and weather resistance.

If you have deep pockets, get the 5D IV. But if money is at all a factor, get a new or lightly-used 5D III. You'll be doing the happy dance for years to come!

Sep 17, 2017 at 12:44 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What's next? (Gear upgrade help)

If you don't need the significantly improved AF of the 5DM3/5DM4 then the 6D would be a very good upgrade to your 5D. Significantly better noise performance and lots of extras that you'll come to appreciate, including Live View.

Sep 17, 2017 at 12:47 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What's next? (Gear upgrade help)

I owned the 5D, and it was a remarkable camera in its day.

You ask about 8 x 10 prints. In terms of resolution, you are not going to see any difference in prints between your 5D and my 51MP 5DsR. In fact, in these terms, you could choose essentially any contemporary DSLR or mirrorless camera in the 16MP to 51MP range, including formats from micro four thirds, 1.6x or 1.5x cropped sensor, or full frame, and the resolution of your prints would be indistinguishable.

That's good news, yes?

If you still feel that you need/want full frame and like your Canon gear, I agree with the recommendation of the 6D. It is an improvement on your 5D in virtually all ways, including some that probably won't make a difference.

If you want to consider a wider range of options you could also certainly consider smaller formats and other brands, but since this is a Canon forum I won't "go there."

Good luck.

Sep 17, 2017 at 01:08 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What's next? (Gear upgrade help)

6D or 80D, case closed.

Sep 17, 2017 at 01:25 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What's next? (Gear upgrade help)

Dan's point is right on: if you're just going to print/view/FB full-frame captures, then any of the current cameras will be fine in terms of better noise and general features.

The big difference for me is in how much I can crop, frame rates for action, and to a lesser extent, relatively minor ergonomics. The 6D and 5D Mark III are probably your best low cost options, but if you can afford it, the 5D Mark IV will give you more cropping flexibility, more focus flexibility, and a host of other capabilities that may satisfy your desires for longer than another camera might.

Sep 17, 2017 at 01:30 PM
saywhuut
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What's next? (Gear upgrade help)

Thank you all for your input!

Sep 17, 2017 at 02:05 PM

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What's next? (Gear upgrade help)

saywhuut wrote:
I've been out of the game for a while, however when going through my archives of old photos of the family, past trips, and a few forgotten wildlife/lansdscape keepers I'm re-sparked to get back into capturing memories.

I've got the Canon 5D classic, and I truly love this camera, but I find myself needing higher ISO a lot even with my 50 1.4 shooting. What I need help with is this question from you all who have much newer and better gear: When you print out some 8x10 and a little larger to frame up on the wall to keep
...Show more

Hi there,
Looks like 6DII is the very camera you'd be glad to upgrade from your 5D (original): amateur AF system, 6FPS, vari-angle touch screen, clean ISOs up to 6400 (or even 12800), DPAF.
5D4 is too much for your (modest) needs.
Nikon / Fuji / Olympus have their own strengths and weaknesses so you decide if switching is an option. IMHO for general use all systems are almost equal.

Sep 17, 2017 at 02:20 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.