FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Southwest Sublime

Mark Metternich
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Southwest Sublime

"Southwest Sublime"

A 1 minute exposure during the semi dark of twilight but with lightning going off constantly during the exposure creating the color and feel of sunrise or sunset. I can only attribute the orange and other colors from the lightning picking up the dust particles in the air from a dust storm that kicked earlier before this image was taken. Usually I like to rely on my Lightning Trigger (the official / original "The Lightning Trigger") but here I needed a longer exposure / light all over the scene or it would have been picking up only strikes (in the dark) with little to no light on the land. This was shot one or two years ago, and I am back home (in FL) starting to make some real progress on a massive 3 year backlog of images.

I hope everyone had a great summer, and has a great fall of photography!

My sincerest Condolences to everyone in Houston Texas, Oregon (my homeland) in the Columbia River Gorge (where my photography really got its start - and my mother was raised on the river), and in Florida (I personally was affected by both the Oregon Gorge fires as well as displaced due to the hurricane). At the same time the Gorge fires were raging out of control, the hurricane Irma was blasting my new residence in Jacksonville FL. I know many clients from Fred Miranda who have been affected by these terrible disasters. Including a gallery owner who lost both home and gallery to flood and tornado. Sad stuff for sure.

All the best to all here, and Great Light to you.

Canon [email protected]
Sony A7R2

Edited on Sep 18, 2017 at 05:30 PM · View previous versions

Sep 17, 2017 at 02:42 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Southwest Sublime

As always great work Mark. Love the Fg lines leading the eye to the drama in the sky.
Harsha

Sep 17, 2017 at 03:14 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Southwest Sublime

this is excellent Mark.

Sep 17, 2017 at 03:56 PM
matthewsaville
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Southwest Sublime

Stunning shot, and love the vertical 4:5 (?) crop, it works well. Perfect amount of sky and foreground...

Sep 17, 2017 at 04:32 PM
Dave Dillemuth
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Southwest Sublime

Awesome, Mark, Killer light and great foreground!

Sep 17, 2017 at 05:57 PM
DaleBerlin
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Southwest Sublime

Excellent LE, so glad you dug it up after sitting so long.

Sep 18, 2017 at 03:10 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Southwest Sublime

Beautiful color and perfect lead. Congrats Mark!

Sep 18, 2017 at 03:23 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Southwest Sublime

Love the dynamics!

Sep 18, 2017 at 04:03 AM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Southwest Sublime

Yep - another wall hanger. There's location, comp and then there's insane atmospherics. You got all three!
Congrats!
Dave

Sep 18, 2017 at 04:19 AM
psharvic
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Southwest Sublime

Well done, Mark. I appreciated your comments and thoughts.

Sep 18, 2017 at 12:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bktools
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Southwest Sublime

Dynamic in depth perspective, Mark!

Bob

Sep 18, 2017 at 10:25 PM
dallvr
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Southwest Sublime

Beautiful! Love the leading lines.

Sep 18, 2017 at 11:59 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Southwest Sublime

Thank you everyone. With the family transition (girlfriend almost fiance now, 2 new mini doxy puppies (not potty trained yet) a kitten, 3 boys ages 14, 16 and 18) and the getting resettled into the residence in Jacksonville FL (the home did receive some water damage and a lot of necessary clean up... Its been tough for this new FAMILY MAN to get over here to reply to everyone. I will try to do better in the days to come, especially since I do not have to be on the road for a while (Late Fall Oregon and January Vegas). By the way, if you are interested in Utterly MASTERING fine art printing the Jan thing might be of interest. Can't talk about it here, but I am easy to look up.

All the best to everyone!

harshaj1 wrote:
As always great work Mark. Love the Fg lines leading the eye to the drama in the sky.
Harsha

Hi Harsha, thank you very much. I hope you are doing well. I have never found a place on earth yet with better or longer leading lines. I think that is the main thing that takes me back to this spot so many times. Keep up the great work of your own! All the best!

Sep 20, 2017 at 03:09 PM
aFeinberg
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Southwest Sublime

Great stuff and at 11mm that lightning is damn close. Crazy few weeks with all the weather going on. <3

Sep 20, 2017 at 09:50 PM
Jim Dockery
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Southwest Sublime

Gorgeous.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:10 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Southwest Sublime

morris wrote:
this is excellent Mark.

Thank you very much Morris.

matthewsaville wrote:
Stunning shot, and love the vertical 4:5 (?) crop, it works well. Perfect amount of sky and foreground...

Thank you very much. Yes, I think I went near 3:4 so the Instagram could receive it without cropping. I actually preferred the 2:3 with more of a walk in fell, but... Thank you for the feedback!

Sep 24, 2017 at 04:30 PM
Fotofly71

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Southwest Sublime

Beautiful picture Mark. I'm sorry your home in Jacksonville was damaged by Irma, friends of mine were also affected. I actually started driving down from Atlanta to get storm pictures but even the expressway was blocked by downed trees. I had to return after I reached Macon. I will confine my storm chasing to mid west tornadoes from now on.

Sep 24, 2017 at 07:35 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Southwest Sublime

Stunning Mark! Well done.

Sep 25, 2017 at 02:18 AM
gordon l
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Southwest Sublime

Outstanding work Mark

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:12 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Southwest Sublime

Fotofly71 wrote:
Beautiful picture Mark. I'm sorry your home in Jacksonville was damaged by Irma, friends of mine were also affected. I actually started driving down from Atlanta to get storm pictures but even the expressway was blocked by downed trees. I had to return after I reached Macon. I will confine my storm chasing to mid west tornadoes from now on.

Thank you so very much. Yeah power was out here. No food in stores. No fuel at some gas stations and this was one of the least hit areas. Then there is the total loss of income due to relocating... And all the expenses of moving a family... At least we are all alive and well. But it is crunch time to get caught up for sure! Hope all is well with you!

Sep 30, 2017 at 03:53 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password