Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9      
       end

Archive 2017 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

freaklikeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #1 · p.10 #1 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

sungphoto wrote:
Yeah I would have totally gone for the A99ii if it didn't seem like Sony and third party lens makers have given up on A-mount. All of the latest Sigma and Tamron glass is not made in A-mount, and Sony doesn't seem to be releasing any more A-mount glass so the future of that system seems somewhat dark. I think the A99ii is a phenomenal camera

That's not entirely true for Tamron. Their latest 150-600, 15-30/2.8, and 35, 45, and 85/1.8's are all available in A-mount. I doubt they'll completely stop production until Sony discontinues A, assuming they get to that point. I haven't used the zooms, but the primes are all impressive. Probably not enough reason to switch, but still noteworthy additions to the line.

Sep 22, 2017 at 12:35 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.10 #2 · p.10 #2 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

Ah yes you're right, my mistake. I was thinking more of the Tamron G2 bread and butter 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8 zooms, the sigma art 24-70 f2.8, the sigma art 85 f1.4 and 135 f1.8.

Sep 22, 2017 at 01:18 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.10 #3 · p.10 #3 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

Steve Spencer wrote:
Although I totally agree this is a very small and compelling kit and it might be what a number of people want and cannot be easily duplicated by any FF 35mm system, I don't think you can really call this fast glass. In fact, most of these lenses as described have more limited shallow depth of field capabilities and light gathering when combined with the small m4/3rds sensor that at some of these focal lengths there aren't even FF lenses made with these limitations. I don't mean that as a slam on m4/3rds even though it may sound that
...Show more

Apologies for the late reply!

A very good response and technically right in most ways. And no it doesn't sound at all like you are bashing m43

Like I said in the post before, screw the depth of field comparison. If nothing else because not everybody is always looking for the most shallow depth of field they can find, sometimes, it's the opposite. DOF has become the new "megapixel or ISO" race, always looking for the most shallow and not caring about composition or subject (or the need to actually find a suitable background).

Actually, better yet, tell the depth of field as it is with those lenses. First of all, a F1.2 lens is F1.2 is F1.2 is F1.2. Always will be, always have been. It doesn't matter when sensor you put it infront or even if you have a sensor or not. DOF qualities exist in the lens as well as distance to subject and background, not in the sensor.

To put it simple, a 45mm F1.8 lens gives the depth of field of a 45mm F1.8 lens. As does the 25mm F1.8 etc. IF you want the same exact crop as on a larger sensor then yes, depth of field will be longer but if you shoot from the same distance, the DOF is the same. On the other hand, personally I like tighter crops and thus have a win win situation with m43 (getting close was always a problem for me with FF and normal non macro lenses).

As such, yes, comparisons will always be made. It may be apples to oranges, or apples to a fruit that doesn't exist or in some cases actually apples to apples in terms of picture taking machines. The comparison discussion will never be right and never wrong.

This brings us to the light gathering capabilities. While the argument of the sensor catching a quarter of the light is true it's a little dangerous argument.
It is true in every way, however, discussing it like this could lead to people thinking that an aperture of 2.8 and ISO of 200 on a camera with a larger (m43 vs 36x24mm in this example) sensor would give four times as fast shutter speeds which of course is wrong. Yes a larger sensor gathers more light as it's got a bigger surface, just like a bucket with a big opening would gather more water then a bucket with a small opening during rainfall. This is directly reflected in the ISO qualities though where a bigger sensor is superior (given the same amount of pixels on both sensors).

The problem with the kit you describe, as great at it sounds btw (would love it!) is the fact that there is only one AF lens. That lens is very small and nimble btw and a great lens. The others are pure manual focus and as such can't be taken in the discussion in the same way. Adapters are fairly cheap, and small so not much of a problem even though they do add a bit more weight and size to carry around. Still, this would make for a lovely and small kit, but still a kit that is much slower to work with then a m43 kit and AF primes and some 20%-ish heavier.

Like you said before, it's like comparing something that can't really be compared and maybe everybody should just stop comparing for the sake of our own minds?

But the discussion about the sensor gathering more light, while technically correct, is not something that is really valid and what one is after is shutter speed and this doesn't change with sensor size. ISO performance does change yes, thanks to the larger sensors ability to gather more light and thus you can push the ISO higher given the same aperture and shutter speed.

Kind Regards

Rasmus Mattsson

Sep 23, 2017 at 02:33 AM
Viramati
• • •
p.10 #4 · p.10 #4 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

Well I used to be a set photographer(stills on a film set) back in the film days and used 2 Nikon 801S's with a home made blimp etc and I would have given my all fora something like the A9 (or even the A7s and A7rII that have single shot silent mode) with it's silent shutter for any 'pro' situation where you need silence some of the new mirrorless cameras really can't be equalled by what Nikon or Canon have to offer.

Sep 23, 2017 at 03:16 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.10 #5 · p.10 #5 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

Heads up..

I was just in Central Camera Chicago this morning and they have a Leica M 10 in stock, on the shelf, waiting to go. No wait....

Sep 23, 2017 at 10:52 AM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.10 #6 · p.10 #6 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

Viramati wrote:
Well I used to be a set photographer(stills on a film set) back in the film days and used 2 Nikon 801S's with a home made blimp etc and I would have given my all fora something like the A9 (or even the A7s and A7rII that have single shot silent mode) with it's silent shutter for any 'pro' situation where you need silence some of the new mirrorless cameras really can't be equalled by what Nikon or Canon have to offer.

100% agree in terms of set photography. I often shoot stills alongside video teams for commercial projects, and I picked up another A7rii (after selling all of my Sony gear) for cases where they are rolling sound in a quiet space (as well as a personal travel cam). Generally though, I don't bring the Sony out as much as I thought I would as I've been on have been in fairly noisy spaces on location and the subjects either have a mic boomed out to them or have a lav on them, so standing 10-15 feet away from the mics with Canon's "silent shutter" mode on is sufficient to not get picked up by sound.

You'd have to do a lot of set photography though to warrant getting a camera system specifically for that feature. Set photography in NY is a hard biz to break into, even if you have an in at the studio (in part because they often require union workers) and it doesn't pay much nowadays anyways :/ Still very cool stuff to do when you can.

Sep 23, 2017 at 01:06 PM
stevesanacore
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #7 · p.10 #7 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

Viramati wrote:

You are so right! I too was a union still photographer on movie sets and it would have bee amazing to have a silent camera. I no longer do it but I'll bet the ones that do are using Sony cameras now, (or should be).

Sep 26, 2017 at 08:34 AM
stevesanacore
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #8 · p.10 #8 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

chiron wrote:
I love discussing gear. But arguing over which gear is "really" pro, as sume wish to do, seems pretty silly to me and isn't of much relevance to my engagement with photography.

Pro gear is whatever gear a person needs to shoot the job. It's really a different set of variables for each photographer or each specialty. But there is definitely a very different mind set to a professionals perspective than a non-pro. There can be so many reasons that some gear is considered pro and other not. Even pro's live in very different worlds to each other! But we all understand that we all have different needs. I think it can be the cause of hurt feelings or people becoming defensive buy not taking into consideration the different 'photographic' worlds many of us live in.

Sep 26, 2017 at 08:50 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.