Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              9       10       end

Archive 2017 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

Wilbus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

Interesting read, I had no idea no pros use Olympus, Fuji or Sony cameras. I wonder if these companies remembered to tell the working pros that?

Somehow I suspect some mistakes in either translation or the actual interview?

Snippet from the interview at Nikon Rumors.

One of the questions regarding the new Sony A9.

"On Sony A9 being driven by sensor technology: D5 is designed by Nikon, made by other company obviously. Nikon customer base is very broad, from novice to enthusiasts to prosumer to professional, that’s Nikon’s advantage. Olympus, Sony and Fujifilm can only cover a small part of that. So far there is no professional using their products. So when they develop products, even like retro style, they only try to meet these people and that’s only what they can do. Their customer base is limited anyway so they have limited view in developing products."

Full interview at https://nikonrumors.com/2017/09/15/new-interview-with-tetsuro-goto-from-nikon-full-frame-is-the-trend-if-nikon-will-go-mirrorless-it-must-be-full-frame.aspx/#more-116119

Sep 17, 2017 at 02:52 AM
Alexluu627
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

Wilbus wrote:
Interesting read, I had no idea no pros use Olympus, Fuji or Sony cameras. I wonder if these companies remembered to tell the working pros that?

Somehow I suspect some mistakes in either translation or the actual interview?

Snippet from the interview at Nikon Rumors.

One of the questions regarding the new Sony A9.

"On Sony A9 being driven by sensor technology: D5 is designed by Nikon, made by other company obviously. Nikon customer base is very broad, from novice to enthusiasts to prosumer to professional, that’s Nikon’s advantage. Olympus, Sony and Fujifilm can only cover a small part of that. So far
...Show more

Everyone he knows uses Nikon... of course he's going to say that =P

Sep 17, 2017 at 03:15 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

Alexluu627 wrote:
Everyone he knows uses Nikon... of course he's going to say that =P

True! I didn't think of it like that

Sep 17, 2017 at 03:22 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

I work professionally as a photographer in a range of areas. My kit is Canon DSLR and Leica M. I see Sony most at weddings, primarily with videographers. The guy I work for has also hired an Olympus shooter on occasion but doesn't like the look of the files. I also shoot NFL football. 99% of the pros covering those games shoot either Canon or Nikon. When I recently shot a couple games with an a9 alongside my Canon gear, I was the only one. But some of the other guys were curious about it, meaning there is awareness of the gear, but not much adoption, yet. I think the Arizona Cardinals team photographer shoots Sony...

There are a range of reasons for slow uptake of alternative systems in some of these areas. Until the a9, poor follow focus was one. Lack of some types of specialized lenses is another. Pro service/support also is better with the incumbents. A lot of staff shooters use company gear that sometimes is focused on one major brand for a variety of reasons, photographic and otherwise.

Technology wise, the a9 is the first mirrorless camera that IMO compares in capability to the incumbents. But IMO it needs to surpass them significantly to entice switch over. Otherwise why spend the money just to get the same degree of results compared to what you're already using?

It could eventually happen. Look how far mirrorless has come in the last 5 years. But despite the forum chatter, Canon and Nikon will also eventually go mirrorless in a comprehensive manner.

Sep 17, 2017 at 06:50 AM
waterden
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

I suspect Canon and Nikon have left it too late and are now too far behind the curve, unless they have jewels hidden away. Corporate history is full of such catastrophic mistakes of which the Kodak story is perhaps most relevant in this context. There will be mainstream players led by Sony and Fuji, with Olympus, and possibly Canon, tagging along, and a boutique outlier, probably Leica and possibly Ricoh / Pentax. I fear Hasselblad and Nikon willhave a hard time keeping up. Sensor technology will eliminate the need for large, heavy telephoto lenses which will be very damaging for the two current SLR leaders.

Sep 17, 2017 at 02:43 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

Nikon also famously once said that no one needs a 35mm sized sensor. And everyone else said they would be dead because they were taking too long to make one.

*If* Nikon do make a full frame mirrorless, *if* it's actually any good and *if* it's backwardly compatible with the F mount then they will be fine. They'll have a huge base of users and a huge base of ready to go legacy glass.

Then they'll realise how stupid they were allowing Sony to get such a foothold in the market and how much harder their job will be to stay a player. Same for Canon. Not only that. Now you've got Fuji leapfrogging them in sensor size at about the same price as their flagship 35mm body. They'll quickly learn how serious the mirrorless market is as soon as they actually enter it.

Gordon

Sep 17, 2017 at 03:30 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

I read the original review before Nikonrumor, the guy interviewed actually is very very humble. I agree most of his point regarding design. Though he mentioned next DF need more sale to prove it worth, but I think he got the logic wrong, DF did not meet expectation is not because of poor concept but poor execution.(though I do feel he talk about DF with some kind of humor that he actually full understand the issue but just hint Nikon DF fans don't put high hope wait for next DF)

He agree:

DF was comprised in lots of area. The metal finish is not great. technology could be better etc and he also mentioned he could do a lot better than 4 years ago with either D5 or D850 sensor or both version. I begin to think next DF might happen as MILC form, though I personally hope it not.

He actually hint A9's success. He mentioned and before A9, Sony had lots of failure and lessen from it, and Nikon have even more of those based on past experience.

He also proudly claim Nikon will not take whatever make other manufactures success and put them into their design decision such as functionality or cosmetic stuff etc...because Nikon fully understand what is the customer requirement. and He believe Nikon have better understanding for customer and camera because of 60 years of camera making. He also mentioned even if Nikon introduce MILC, they will only focus on few what they believe customer need for.

I used almost all camera brands include Canon, Fuji and Sony and handled even more from friends, Leica is more fun to use but Nikon gain most of my respect in term of camera building. Bar none.

Sep 17, 2017 at 03:57 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

waterden wrote:
I suspect Canon and Nikon have left it too late and are now too far behind the curve, unless they have jewels hidden away.

It's a bit early to write their epitaphs, don't you think?

(remember Apple in the late '90s?)

Sep 17, 2017 at 06:59 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

It's true that no modern pro uses any of those. They use iPhones. I think you guys may all be behind the times in the new more inclusive concept of Pro. I suspect that some of you made this error because you are past the age of twenty and haven't been relevant to whaz happpnin for a while.

I read the Petal pixel piece. Their low quality English comprehension and high energy leaps to conclusions are only outmatched by their appetite for clickbait out of a tempest in a teapot bit of detail. Are they owned by CNN?

Sep 17, 2017 at 07:03 PM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

sirimiri wrote:
It's a bit early to write their epitaphs, don't you think?

(remember Apple in the late '90s?)

Remember Nokia. They were the big player, and then came the iPhone from Apple. So, the story about Apple returning from the brink of disaster, is also the history about Nokia going under and not even Microsoft being able to turn things around after buying Nokia's cell phone division.

Rather than any of the camera companies going under, we should hope for a more even split of market shares, a move away from the virtual duopoly of Canon and Nikon. That could be good for innovation and competition, I think.

Sep 17, 2017 at 07:25 PM
Alexluu627
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

People forget that the FE mount system has only been around for 3 and a half years. The fact that this camera system is picking up so fast, speaks for itself.

nikon took until 2017 to even make a camera that would catch up in technology with Sony cameras.

Just wait 5 more years and you'll see if canon and Nikon are really behind.

Sep 17, 2017 at 10:17 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

bjornthun wrote:
Remember Nokia. They were the big player, and then came the iPhone from Apple. So, the story about Apple returning from the brink of disaster, is also the history about Nokia going under and not even Microsoft being able to turn things around after buying Nokia's cell phone division...

And the irony is complete in that Sony (in the end) bought Ericsson's mobile business.

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:11 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

Alexluu627 wrote:
People forget that the FE mount system has only been around for 3 and a half years. The fact that this camera system is picking up so fast, speaks for itself.

nikon took until 2017 to even make a camera that would catch up in technology with Sony cameras.

Just wait 5 more years and you'll see if canon and Nikon are really behind.

+1. Exactly this. Also, up to now Nikon does not have a mirrorless camera at all, and Canon is still probing mirrorless technology.

Sep 18, 2017 at 04:18 PM
hanumanbob
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

Most Nikon and Cannon pros don't want to switch because they know their gear they have collected lots of it over the years and it works for them. Nothing wrong with that at all. But for someone just coming into the business something like an A9 is a very attractive option.

Sony is so far ahead on technology that it would be very surprising if Nikon's first full frame mirrorless is a home run.

Sep 18, 2017 at 05:03 PM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

I have far more faith in Nikon and Canon. I'm not sure why they've chosen to avoid mirrorless, I'm sure they have business reasons such as avoiding making an entire lens line irrelevant, but I'm quite certain that if they chose to compete they could do so easily, and create a far better camera at that. I do believe that Sony is far more a 'computer' than a 'camera' and that Sony effectively has less experience at 'cameras' than either Nikon or Canon.

However I think the only way Canon or Nikon can compete with mirrorless bodies is if have the same or similar flange distance as Sony, thus allowing the same gamut of lenses to be used instead of only Canon or only Nikon lenses. Creating a mirrorless body with the same flange distances as their existing lenses would be meaningless and of no interest to the bulk of mirrorless users.

Sep 18, 2017 at 05:05 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

JohnJ wrote:
I have far more faith in Nikon and Canon. I'm not sure why they've chosen to avoid mirrorless, I'm sure they have business reasons such as avoiding making an entire lens line irrelevant, but I'm quite certain that if they chose to compete they could do so easily, and create a far better camera at that. I do believe that Sony is far more a 'computer' than a 'camera' and that Sony effectively has less experience at 'cameras' than either Nikon or Canon.

However I think the only way Canon or Nikon can compete with mirrorless bodies is if have the
...Show more

Well one of the benefits of mirrorless is the potential for less bulky system...but there are others such as the EVF and the ability to have eye focus tracking and totally silent shutter and 20 fps etc...

Sep 18, 2017 at 05:29 PM
telyt
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

JohnJ wrote:
... I do believe that Sony is far more a 'computer' than a 'camera' and that Sony effectively has less experience at 'cameras' than either Nikon or Canon...

Sony is Konica and Minolta combined plus Sony's experience in professional videography.

Sep 18, 2017 at 05:42 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

telyt wrote:
Sony is Konica and Minolta combined plus Sony's experience in professional videography.

True, but management is most likely all Sony, and they're the ones making the decisions.
You can see the evidence in some of the bizarre choices they make, for example, my NEX-7 has remote release in the drive menu with single shot, cont shoot, timer, and bracketing, so it's impossible to use the remote or self timer to trigger a 3 shot bracket, there are a number of other quirks that most seasoned photographers would find puzzling to say the least, bracketing that only had 0.3 EV and 0.7 EV options(FW update added 1, 2, & 3 EV options).

Sep 18, 2017 at 07:06 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

My favorite part is how every Sony camera before the a9 was a failure.

I told my rII it's a failure, but it didn't seem to care.

Sep 18, 2017 at 08:06 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Apparently no pros use Sony, Fujifilm or Olympus (according to Nikon)

Alexluu627 wrote:

But is it?

Sep 18, 2017 at 08:19 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.