FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Fall trip advice

Prashant Verma
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fall trip advice

I am planning a weekend trip to Eastern Sierras in CA for fall foliage. This would be my first time for fall colors and I can't stop thinking about it. Here is what I am planning:

Day 1: North Lake near Bishop, hike to lower lamarck lake, drive to south lake and shoot sunset at lake Sabrina.
Day 2: Sunrise at North lake, drive to Lundy lake and hike lundy canyon before heading back home. Stop by Convict lake if time permits.

Qustions:
1. Am I missing any key spots?
2. Is it too ambitious? I love Mono lake, but did not include it because I have shot around it before.
4. Any recommendations for night photography?
3. Is Oct 14 good?
4. Any other recommendations?

Thank you so much for your help.

Sep 17, 2017 at 04:44 AM
tsinsf

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fall trip advice

The places you have chosen are all very photogenic, and the odds are good that on October 14 somewhere in the eastern Sierra will have good fall color. If finding peak color is your goal, you need to be more flexible about where you go. If you google "fall color reports eastern Sierra" you will find many links that can give you recent updates. The fall color season varies from year to year, but it can be anywhere from the last week of September to third week in October.
Oct 14 would be quite late for North Lake, South Lake, and Lake Sabrina. That area, Bishop Creek, is often one of the first areas to turn, and often will have peaked by October 14. Oct 14 is a better bet for Lundy Canyon. If fall color is your goal, follow the color. Planning a specific location on a specific date is a crap shot that will fail much of the time.

Sep 19, 2017 at 04:36 AM
01Ryan10
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fall trip advice

Well...I'll be at Convict Lake in a couple of weeks, (9/29 and 9/30). I'll post some pics of the color, so you'll know what it may look like with a few weeks of age come mid October.

Sep 19, 2017 at 05:10 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fall trip advice

Color is late to the Sierras this year but Bishop Creek area is the first to go and Oct. 14 is usually well past peak.
Be prepared to adapt ask others while your there for the best places. Be prepared to find peak color when your there anywhere between Bridgeport to Bishop. Flexible is the word to remember. Last year by Sept 21 North lake was near peak for instance while this year patchy yellow so far. I'll report after this weekend as I'll be there the 23-25th. Looks like I will be a week or two early but will be on motorcycle and wanted to avoid getting snowed on as the first snow of the year can come around the 1st of Oct.

Sep 20, 2017 at 07:25 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password