FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

Fred Miranda wrote:
I believe f/1.4, IBIS and EVF always available (without having to push a button) were the main reasons. However, I was impressed by the rendering from both lenses.

Also, the RX1II, although very compact, still needs a small bag to carry around. My A7RII + 35/1.4 ZA needs a much bigger bag but since I'm carrying a bag anyways, I didn't find the difference in size/weight too limiting.

Your milage may vary of course.

It's not my intent to put down a great camera+lens combo but there is something else I forgot to mention. When shooting landscapes with it, I disliked the Sonnar 35/2 (RX1) sunstar rendering and flare resistance. The sunstar is soft until f/16 and there is almost always ghosting flare visible. There are many samples of its 18-point sunstar on the web.
I would much prefer the Loxia 35/2 for images with the sun in the frame. (CV 35/1.7 or ZM 35/1.4 with corrective front lens are great options as well)

Sep 17, 2017 at 04:22 PM
Viramati
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

Alexluu627 wrote:
I love the Leica Q, but the price is just astoundingly high even in the used market.
3300 bucks is a lot of monkies
used a7r ii with 28mm f2 would be around 2500-2600 and is about the same weight as a Leica Q.

tbh the sony 28mm f2 is the most underrated e mount lens. Very sharp with decent bokeh and can be had for 300 bucks used.

I of course agree that the Q is very expensive and in fact the list price in the UK has gone up by more than 600 since I bought it which realise a little absurd and yes I would think twice about spending 3549 on a fixed lens camera. I have sold all my Leica M gear and this is all that remains and now my main system is 2 A7rII bodies and various lenses. If you want 35mm I'm sure the RX1r II is an excellent buy. I sued to have the FE28/2 and for what it costs it is an excellent lens but I just don't like the Sony's for street work and the Q with it's leaf shutter is almost totally silent

Sep 17, 2017 at 04:36 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

I treat RX1 as lens with sensor. I personally prefer multiple body than change lens in field during travel. RX1 either in my hand or my pocket. that is biggest reason I like it and still use it for many years. I no longer carry EVF for the size. RX1II seems very nice with build in EVF but expensive. Given the price, you do have the choice to get another A7RII and FE35 with minor IQ penalty.

Sep 17, 2017 at 05:12 PM
nana kofi

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

The RX1rII is also almost silent to shoot. I've had mine for a very long time. I work across Africa. Haven't had any dust problems yet. I've thrown away all the third party batteries and now only carry the original Sony batteries. They're more reliable. Battery life isn't great but I've never needed more than 2 in a day's shoot. I always shoot with 2 bodies, my second body being an a7rii. Even though I have a lot of fancy lenses for my A7rii (fe16-35/4, fe 28/2, Batis 25, fe 35/1.4, fe 55/1.8, mitakon 50/0.95, Batis 85, fe 90/2.8), on each assignment, I come back with more photos from the Rx1rII. The macro capabilities also make it very versatile for storytelling. It really is a great camera in the hands of someone who knows how to shoot 35mm.

NK
www.nkacquah.com

Sep 17, 2017 at 05:15 PM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

MikeEvangelist wrote:
What he said!

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1502/24156324362_25972ac22f_b.jpg

Wow it really is a lot of camera for the size. I shoot mostly 50mm otherwise I would get one in a heartbeat. In fact if they made a 45/1.8 in a slightly larger package, with a fixed EVF...

Sep 17, 2017 at 05:55 PM
umsl12
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

I was thinking about either RX1 or RX1 mkII but after I purchased 35mm 2.8, I no longer wanted it.
However, probably it's nice to have a RX1 in pocket if I can find a good used RX1 at a good price. RX1 mkII is too much money for a camera. I would go with A7RII and 35/2.8.

Sep 17, 2017 at 06:04 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

If I could take only one camera with me the RX1 mkII would be it. Hopefully the next version will be even better. I haven't gotten one thus far due to the price and the fact that I've always been able to take the A7RIi + lenses with me, even on hiking/backpacking/climbing trips. But if size/weight/(my)age really become critical, the RX1 mkII would be purchased.

Sep 17, 2017 at 06:30 PM
saxguy

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

jhinkey wrote:
If I could take only one camera with me the RX1 mkII would be it. Hopefully the next version will be even better. I haven't gotten one thus far due to the price and the fact that I've always been able to take the A7RIi + lenses with me, even on hiking/backpacking/climbing trips. But if size/weight/(my)age really become critical, the RX1 mkII would be purchased.

This is one of the things I'm having trouble with. I believe when the RX100V came out, it was announced after a Sony event - maybe it was announced in October of 2015. Being that they didn't announce the RX1R iii when they did the RX10 iv, I wonder if it may still me coming in a few weeks or so.

Sep 17, 2017 at 08:37 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

saxguy wrote:
This is one of the things I'm having trouble with. I believe when the RX100V came out, it was announced after a Sony event - maybe it was announced in October of 2015. Being that they didn't announce the RX1R iii when they did the RX10 iv, I wonder if it may still me coming in a few weeks or so.

i really doubt there is an rx1iii coming soon $3k fixed lens cameras are pretty nitch so it doesn't make financial sense to update them as often as a prosumer p&s like the rx100 or even the a7. i predict a new one no sooner than 6 months after an a7riii appears. honestly, i'm not even sure what they would add in an upgrade? i'd love a price drop on rx1ii though, so i'd love to be wrong.

Sep 17, 2017 at 09:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mogul
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

sebboh wrote:
i really doubt there is an rx1iii coming soon $3k fixed lens cameras are pretty nitch so it doesn't make financial sense to update them as often as a prosumer p&s like the rx100 or even the a7. i predict a new one no sooner than 6 months after an a7riii appears. honestly, i'm not even sure what they would add in an upgrade? i'd love a price drop on rx1ii though, so i'd love to be wrong.

How about a medium format 100 mpix, 28mm lens?

Sep 17, 2017 at 09:20 PM
mogul
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

Matt Grum wrote:
Wow it really is a lot of camera for the size. I shoot mostly 50mm otherwise I would get one in a heartbeat. In fact if they made a 45/1.8 in a slightly larger package, with a fixed EVF...

Just crop to 50, if that is your cup of tea

Sep 17, 2017 at 09:22 PM
genji
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

saxguy wrote:

A tried and true way to ensure the release of an RX1R III in the next few weeks or so would be for you to buy an RX1R II in the next couple of days.

Sep 17, 2017 at 09:27 PM
saxguy

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

I think I'm going to buy it. Quick question - has anyone bought from B&H and had to use the Square Trade protection? One of the more recent reviews said that his A7R ii was dropped and he's been without a camera for three months. Is there a better third party protection program?

Sep 17, 2017 at 09:49 PM
genji
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

Matt Grum wrote:

As long as they kept the tilt-screen, a 45/1.8 version would be perfect.

Sep 17, 2017 at 10:18 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

genji wrote:
As long as they kept the tilt-screen, a 45/1.8 version would be perfect.

The RX1 series's DNA has a 33mm lens.

It would be amazing to see the first curve sensor inside the next version.

Sep 17, 2017 at 10:25 PM
bloung
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

Just picked one up for a great price, can't wait to get it in my hands and try it out.

Sep 18, 2017 at 12:28 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

bloung wrote:
Just picked one up for a great price, can't wait to get it in my hands and try it out.

Congratulations on the new camera! Post some pictures.

Sep 21, 2017 at 03:20 AM
bloung
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

Fred Miranda wrote:
Congratulations on the new camera! Post some pictures.

Thanks I will. It feels much more comfortable walking around with than my old a7rii 35 1.4 setup. Much more discreet I'm liking it so far.

Sep 22, 2017 at 02:44 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password