New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

saxguy

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

After looking at image after image comparing the RX1R ii to the Leica Q I am about to order the RX. The one thing that keeps giving me pause is the fact that I like shooting indoors with low light or at night and I worry about the lack of image stabilization. Now I know that there are some really good low light image captures out there but, realistically, is it going to be an issue without having the image stabilization? This is the only concern I have with the RX. I was hoping a iii would have been announced this week with an updated IS, but it seems that we probably won't see a iii any time in the near future. Am I being overly concerned about this?

I know that the 7Rii would be a way to alleviate this concern, but there's just something intangible about the images the RX1R ii produces that doesn't compare to the 7R (not that the 7R images aren't fantastic, they are).

Sep 17, 2017 at 02:14 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

It's really small and easy to hold pretty firmly for longer exposures. You should be okay. I think I got it down to about a 1/8th of a second. Now some of this will depend on you too. Also need to learn to brace yourself well.

Sep 17, 2017 at 02:22 AM
genji
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

saxguy wrote:
After looking at image after image comparing the RX1R ii to the Leica Q I am about to order the RX. The one thing that keeps giving me pause is the fact that I like shooting indoors with low light or at night and I worry about the lack of image stabilization. Now I know that there are some really good low light image captures out there but, realistically, is it going to be an issue without having the image stabilization? This is the only concern I have with the RX. I was hoping a iii would have been announced
...Show more

Although I really like the A7RII's image stabilization, I honestly haven't missed it on the RX1RII. The consensus from other threads, which I would agree with, is that currently the FE Distagon 35/1.4 offers the closest "look" to the RX1RII's Sonnar 35/2. So, compared to the RX1RII, an A7RII+FE 35/1.4 gives you IBIS plus an extra stop at the expense of a huge increase in size and weight. Take your pick.

Sep 17, 2017 at 02:27 AM
MikeEvangelist
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

genji wrote:
So, compared to the RX1RII, an A7RII+FE 35/1.4 gives you IBIS plus an extra stop at the expense of a huge increase in size and weight. Take your pick.

What he said!

Sep 17, 2017 at 02:40 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

MikeEvangelist wrote:
What he said!

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1502/24156324362_25972ac22f_b.jpg

^^ A picture is worth a thousand words!
I shot with both systems above for almost a year, and at the end, decided to sell the RX1RII and carry 'the beast' instead.

Sep 17, 2017 at 02:52 AM
Cadaver
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

Fred Miranda wrote:
I shot with both systems above for almost a year, and at the end, decided to sell the RX1RII and carry 'the beast' instead.

I guess everything is relative.

Sep 17, 2017 at 02:58 AM
genji
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

Hahah! When I saw Mike's picture, I immediately thought: "One picture is worth a thousand words". Then I scrolled down and saw your post...

Fred Miranda wrote:

Sep 17, 2017 at 03:03 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

Cadaver wrote:
I guess everything is relative.

I believe f/1.4, IBIS and EVF always available (without having to push a button) were the main reasons. However, I was impressed by the rendering from both lenses.

Also, the RX1II, although very compact, still needs a small bag to carry around. My A7RII + 35/1.4 ZA needs a much bigger bag but since I'm carrying a bag anyways, I didn't find the difference in size/weight too limiting.

Your milage may vary of course.

Sep 17, 2017 at 03:05 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

For me it was hard trying to make the Rx2 be part of my system and flash work you could not use the EVF because of on camera flashes or triggers got in the way. Like Fred said I carry the beast also. Lol

Sep 17, 2017 at 04:47 AM
Alexluu627
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

Sold the beast and went with the 35mm f2.8, miss the rendering of the 1.4, but weight and size triumphed.

Used rx1r ii $2200-2400
Used a7r ii $2200-2400 & 35mm f2.8 $400-450

I would say 2600-2800 bucks isn't bad for the a7r ii and lens combo.

Sep 17, 2017 at 05:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

I think many of us are playing the 35mm lens shuffle and trying to find the balance. Not sure why no one figured out we need a excellent 35mm F2 lens. If they did it be impossible to get one as everybody and cousin Vinny will want one. Lol

Some folks have 3 or 4 35 lenses. I have two the beast and a CV 35 1.7

Sep 17, 2017 at 05:24 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

Well, a Leica Summilux with a TechArt pro adapter is way smaller and lighter than the FE 35 f/1.4. Probably much closer in size to the RX1 series with another stop (f/1.4), IBIS, no MF-by-wire, and AF probably as good on average as the RX1-II. But it's the also a lot more expensive. Definitely my preferred balance on the A9 though.

Sep 17, 2017 at 06:08 AM
Viramati
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

Personally I find the Leica Q to be the finest digital camera they have made so far. It is bigger than the sony and doesn't have 42mp's but it does have IS (hardly ever have it turned on though) the fantastic 28mm f1.7 lens, 3.68MP ECF which is really astounding and of course the analogue controls and the best manual focusing mechanism I have come across on a focus-by-wire lens. All in all a camera I wouldn't be without. It doesn't have the high ISO capabilities of the Sony but with the IS and 1.7 lens it really is no slouch. You can also use it in 35mm crop mode where it gives you the frame lines in the EVF/LCD and you can use it in the same way as a traditional Lecia M and see what is outside the frame line and you still get an 18MP file which is really more tan enough for most uses. Lastly it has the fastest autofocus system I have come across yet (developed by Panasonic)and locks onto an image faster and more accurately than any of my Sony's, how they have done this I don't know but it works. I have had mine since the day it was released and it is always with me

Sep 17, 2017 at 07:35 AM
Alexluu627
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

Viramati wrote:
Personally I find the Leica Q to be the finest digital camera they have made so far. It is bigger than the sony and doesn't have 42mp's but it does have IS (hardly ever have it turned on though) the fantastic 28mm f1.7 lens, 3.68MP ECF which is really astounding and of course the analogue controls and the best manual focusing mechanism I have come across on a focus-by-wire lens. All in all a camera I wouldn't be without. It doesn't have the high ISO capabilities of the Sony but with the IS and 1.7 lens it really is no
...Show more

I love the Leica Q, but the price is just astoundingly high even in the used market.
3300 bucks is a lot of monkies
used a7r ii with 28mm f2 would be around 2500-2600 and is about the same weight as a Leica Q.

tbh the sony 28mm f2 is the most underrated e mount lens. Very sharp with decent bokeh and can be had for 300 bucks used.

Sep 17, 2017 at 07:46 AM
Mirror
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

I was in the same dilemma and just ordered a 2nd A7RII body. The Thinktank Trifecta is just great to carry 2x A7RIIs side by side with fast large glass. My combo is the 16-35GM and 85GM / 50 Planar depending on the situation. So I do not need the 24-70GM. Will keep also the small 35mm 2.8 for sure.

The dust risk with the RX1R II, lack of 4K-Video, different batteries kept me away from the idea to spend that much money

Sep 17, 2017 at 08:46 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

Mirror wrote:
The dust risk with the RX1R II, lack of 4K-Video, different batteries kept me away from the idea to spend that much money

This is what it comes down to for me as well. The batteries are probably the biggest issues. But the thought of having a small, take-everywhere camera with no compromises on IQ appeals to me. And I love 35mm.

Sep 17, 2017 at 09:44 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

Viramati wrote:
Personally I find the Leica Q to be the finest digital camera they have made so far. It is bigger than the sony and doesn't have 42mp's but it does have IS (hardly ever have it turned on though) the fantastic 28mm f1.7 lens, 3.68MP ECF which is really astounding and of course the analogue controls and the best manual focusing mechanism I have come across on a focus-by-wire lens. All in all a camera I wouldn't be without. It doesn't have the high ISO capabilities of the Sony but with the IS and 1.7 lens it really is no
...Show more

They are neat cameras but you really need to be committed to the 28mm focal length in order to sink that kind of cash into one. They also aren't as compact as one might expect. I almost bought one until I realized that 28mm (the same FL as on my iPhone 6 camera) wasn't a perspective I found to be terribly interesting.

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:16 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

Mirror wrote:
I was in the same dilemma and just ordered a 2nd A7RII body. The Thinktank Trifecta is just great to carry 2x A7RIIs side by side with fast large glass. My combo is the 16-35GM and 85GM / 50 Planar depending on the situation. So I do not need the 24-70GM. Will keep also the small 35mm 2.8 for sure.

That is a heck of a lot more camera equipment than an RX1R II, no matter what bag you put it in.

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:17 AM
Mirror
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

Arka wrote:
That is a heck of a lot more camera equipment than an RX1R II, no matter what bag you put it in.

Correct, I meant using the A7RII with the small 35mm 2.8 is more versatile than the RX1RII for my needs because I have a nearly compact option with the little 2.8 SonyZeiss (With 4K Video even) but I am in the position to swap lenses, have a backup camera to my other A7RII with the same batteries and can use 2x lenses at the same time in the field without swapping glass.

Sep 17, 2017 at 12:42 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · RX1R ii - about to pull the trigger

Mirror wrote:
Correct, I meant using the A7RII with the small 35mm 2.8 is more versatile than the RX1RII for my needs because I have a nearly compact option with the little 2.8 SonyZeiss (With 4K Video even) but I am in the position to swap lenses, have a backup camera to my other A7RII with the same batteries and can use 2x lenses at the same time in the field without swapping glass.

That's what a lot of folks finally decide too. Is having a second A7rII as it is more versatile.

A lot of folks really like this RX2 though so I tend to think it's not about the money but the travel convenience. I get that maybe I'm too cheap. Lol

Sep 17, 2017 at 12:46 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password