Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       end
  

Deep "parabolic" umbrella vs regular umbrella u...
  
 
sungphoto
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Deep "parabolic" umbrella vs regular umbrella use cases?


Unfortunately it looks like no one makes them in the 51" size aside from Profoto and Westcott, who range in price from outrageous to overpriced. I wonder why this is the case.


Sep 24, 2017 at 05:42 AM
rico
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Deep "parabolic" umbrella vs regular umbrella use cases?


Briese does. The focus.2 130 is 51", has your choice of silver surface, has motorized focus, and is parabolic of course. The design pretty much dictates the purchase of their head and pack, so expect to pay.

Ref: http://www.brieselichttechnik.de/en/flashlight/products-overview/focus.2/focus.2-130.html



Sep 24, 2017 at 07:21 AM
MayaTlab
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Deep "parabolic" umbrella vs regular umbrella use cases?


Rico, are you telling us that you use such sort of contraption to protect your head from the rain ?

I haven't used the Briese, but I adore the smaller Broncolor paras (if you see an assistant stupidly and obsessively playing with the opening / closing mechanism in a corner of the studio at lunch time, that might be me). That being said, they're actually surplus to requirement for me. I just need a nice soft silver PLM in two sizes and I'm fine.



Sep 24, 2017 at 09:48 AM
sungphoto
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Deep "parabolic" umbrella vs regular umbrella use cases?


@mayatlab looks like the only one making copies of the 51" silver is Jinbei, sold through ebay. Selling for about $100 depending on the listing, which doesn't really appeal to me as much. If I wanted to pay that much for that size umbrella, I'd just get the Westcott ones for $150. I do wonder if I can use the PCB diffusion fabric even though the diameter is slightly off by 2" (the westcott ones being 53")


Sep 28, 2017 at 07:08 AM
sungphoto
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Deep "parabolic" umbrella vs regular umbrella use cases?


Just ordered a couple of these "Selens" brand 51" silver interior deep umbrellas:

https://www.amazon.com/Selens-Professional-Photography-Parabolic-Reflective/dp/B01M2X8LYQ/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506617291&sr=sr-1&keywords=parabolic+umbrella+51%22+silver

$64 a piece, and picked up diffusion fabric for them as well. Excited to test them out, and advantage is that because it's amazon, if they are not up to snuff I can return them

EDIT: Scratch that Decided against it, as for how I'm using this type of modifier, it would be best to just get the white 51" Paul C Buff version as a broad on-location light. Also, I am pretty hard on all of my gear so having a respected company that stands behind their products (even if they're quite inexpensive) is important to me.



Sep 28, 2017 at 04:49 PM
sungphoto
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Deep "parabolic" umbrella vs regular umbrella use cases?


Just to report back, I have used the 51" plm umbrellas on an editorial shoot this week, and an advertising shoot the previous week, both on location and pretty much used it the entire time even though I had brought my usual assortment of light modifiers in my bag as well. Love them - very accurate white, both diffused and undiffused, and perfect location light for people. Just wished PCB made them in soft silver again!


Oct 10, 2017 at 03:26 AM
neoshazam
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Deep "parabolic" umbrella vs regular umbrella use cases?


sungphoto wrote:
Just to report back, I have used the 51" plm umbrellas on an editorial shoot this week, and an advertising shoot the previous week, both on location and pretty much used it the entire time even though I had brought my usual assortment of light modifiers in my bag as well. Love them - very accurate white, both diffused and undiffused, and perfect location light for people. Just wished PCB made them in soft silver again!


Yep yep. I was mostly indoors or away from breeze so I used the 86" and the 64" with diffuser, the 86" w/diffuser is like a modifier plus partial retouch.



Oct 10, 2017 at 02:43 PM
sungphoto
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Deep "parabolic" umbrella vs regular umbrella use cases?


neoshazam wrote:
Yep yep. I was mostly indoors or away from breeze so I used the 86" and the 64" with diffuser, the 86" w/diffuser is like a modifier plus partial retouch.


I'm really tempted to get a couple of the 64" soft silvers and diffusers as well after seeing how well made the PCB PLM umbrellas are. My preferred method of fill is a large very soft on-axis source, so I have a couple of the westcott "para" 86" umbrellas in silver and white, but they can be pretty unwieldy in spaces with ceilings lower than 9-10 feet.



Oct 13, 2017 at 06:48 PM
neoshazam
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Deep "parabolic" umbrella vs regular umbrella use cases?


I highly recommend them.

6 years ago my 64" went with the breeze and cradled the light so there was no damage to the light ( 500W Hensel Monolight at the time) and the PLM still works perfectly too.

I go with the largest PLM that I can away with.and will probably order another 64" next week since I've got doubles of the other sizes.



Oct 14, 2017 at 04:30 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Fotografpaul
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Deep "parabolic" umbrella vs regular umbrella use cases?


Briese is on another level compared to just about everything, beautiful stuff and made to last.




Oct 14, 2017 at 07:18 AM
neoshazam
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Deep "parabolic" umbrella vs regular umbrella use cases?


Fotografpaul wrote:
Briese is on another level compared to just about everything, beautiful stuff and made to last.



I'm having trouble locating a price to buy them in the US.
I figure they are very expensive like Broncolor but I'd at least like to know.
I'm sure they are fantastic but there is a freedom to using the PLMs without having to have a hand crank or other items on a lightstand that can take more time to set up, and obviously if something goes wrong your spending ~$120 or less to replace the PLM instead of thousands for Bron/Briese.



Oct 14, 2017 at 04:22 PM
Fotografpaul
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Deep "parabolic" umbrella vs regular umbrella use cases?


neoshazam wrote:
I'm having trouble locating a price to buy them in the US.
I figure they are very expensive like Broncolor but I'd at least like to know.
I'm sure they are fantastic but there is a freedom to using the PLMs without having to have a hand crank or other items on a light stand that can take more time to set up, and obviously if something goes wrong your spending ~$120 or less to replace the PLM instead of thousands for Bron/Briese.


Well, their market is more rental houses then individual customers. Not many people go out and buy a Briese .. :-)

I'v used the 180 and 220.

The Briese isn't comparable at all to the PLM which in all fairness is just a big umbrella and not that unique in that regard either.

To use a similar sized Briese you will have serious grip gear, and support. They are made for very different markets and applications.

The PLM and similar umbrellas (Lastolites mega/Jumbo versions, Westcott etc ) are more like big brolly boxes.

The lack of mounting bracket and handle on the PLM to adjust the angle is rather an inconvenience than a freedom imho.

I much prefer the design of my Indirect Litemotiv's which mounts on the stand and holds the strobe instead of vice versa.

The Briese should be available to rent at most high-end rental houses if you are inclined to try one out.





Oct 14, 2017 at 06:23 PM
sungphoto
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Deep "parabolic" umbrella vs regular umbrella use cases?


My main use for the PLM umbrellas is a soft and versatile location light, that is also more shallow than my softboxes.

The Briese and Broncolor paras look incredible, but I've yet to have a job where I really need that quality of light. I've never used one though - I'd imagine they're more of a common light shaper in fashion? I primarily shoot commercial/advertising, mostly on location so a Briese would be a little impractical

Headlight NY in Chelsea has the big boy Brieses in the window. I always stop and just stare at those magnificent things when I'm walking by



Oct 15, 2017 at 12:47 AM
MayaTlab
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Deep "parabolic" umbrella vs regular umbrella use cases?


sungphoto wrote:
The Briese and Broncolor paras look incredible, but I've yet to have a job where I really need that quality of light. I've never used one though - I'd imagine they're more of a common light shaper in fashion?


There are various kinds of "fashion" photography. Personally I've rarely assisted on a photoshoot that used these parabolic reflectors. However, I've seen them a lot in video shoots. My guess is that the open construction (good for heat) and efficiency of the paras (relative to a soft box) are prized for video.

A lot of high-end fashion photography is actually done with very simple means or antiquated equipment, and a lot of DIY.

If you assisted on a Sarah Moon shoot, you'd spend most of your time cutting bits of paper, cardboard or tissues for the background, and shuffling it back and forth for effects, or holding panes of plexiglass in front of the subject - this sort of stuff. I'm fairly certain that she's never touched a Broncolor para .



Oct 15, 2017 at 06:23 AM
Fotografpaul
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Deep "parabolic" umbrella vs regular umbrella use cases?


sungphoto wrote:
My main use for the PLM umbrellas is a soft and versatile location light, that is also more shallow than my softboxes.

The Briese and Broncolor paras look incredible, but I've yet to have a job where I really need that quality of light. I've never used one though - I'd imagine they're more of a common light shaper in fashion? I primarily shoot commercial/advertising, mostly on location so a Briese would be a little impractical

Headlight NY in Chelsea has the big boy Brieses in the window. I always stop and just stare at those magnificent things when I'm walking
...Show more

It's not the quality of light, but the character. Not used so much in the fashion industry as used in the world of commercial film. So indeed it's more used for continues light than flash. and on set with a crew.






Oct 15, 2017 at 07:56 AM
sungphoto
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Deep "parabolic" umbrella vs regular umbrella use cases?


Ah got it. Thanks for the info.


Oct 15, 2017 at 04:16 PM
Michael White
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Deep "parabolic" umbrella vs regular umbrella use cases?


The more tricks you have in your bag the better. Better to have it and use it than to need it and not have it.

I think if I was a location photographer I would buy an enclosed trailer and store my lighting gear in it and take it to each job and work out of it,



Oct 30, 2017 at 09:12 AM
1      
2
       end






FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password