Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

RX1R ii - any advantage to shooting in monochrome?

saxguy

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RX1R ii - any advantage to shooting in monochrome?

I was wondering if there's any advantage to shooting with one of the monochrome settings vs. converting it in post. Anyone try it both ways and what is your experience?

Sep 16, 2017 at 11:52 PM
genji
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RX1R ii - any advantage to shooting in monochrome?

saxguy wrote:
I was wondering if there's any advantage to shooting with one of the monochrome settings vs. converting it in post. Anyone try it both ways and what is your experience?

When you shoot either RAW or RAW+JPG in monochrome with the RX1R II (and, I presume, the other RX1(R) models), the RAW file is always in color. With RAW+JPG, the JPG is monochrome; with RAW only, the the RAW file appears as monochrome in the EVF on the LCD screen but reverts to color once you bring it into Lightroom (and opens in color in a program like Fast Raw Viewer). So you'll always have to do any monochrome conversion in post. Similarly, the JPG is saved in the aspect ratio you've selected but the entire 43 megapixel 3:2 RAW file is saved. When you open it in Lightroom, the aspect ratio you chose is displayed but, when you switch to crop view, you see the full uncropped image.

Sep 17, 2017 at 01:07 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password