New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Canon EOS 5D MKIV focus question

fzihlmann

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon EOS 5D MKIV focus question

I love my MKIV (upgraded from MKIII) and have an auto focus question. I mostly shoot in “manual select one point AF” but I also like Live View “Flexi Zone AF” when shooting focus stacking images. Shooting in “Flexi Zone AF” the focus area within the frame is significantly larger than in “manual select one point AF”. Is there a difference in focus accuracy between the two focus methods? I know that the “Flexi Zone AF” method uses the Dual Pixel technology but I do not know if one pays a penalty in this mode.

Sep 16, 2017 at 11:45 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon EOS 5D MKIV focus question

The Flexi-zone Multi will focus in the wider area, and will pick the exact spot in the area. Flexizone Single focuses in a smaller area so you have more control over the precise area it focuses on.

Both are accurate, but keeping the smaller spot on a moving subject may be difficult and easier with the multi which has a larger active focusing area..

For Macro shots of a stationary subject, I'd use the single point. It uses DPAF as well.

Sep 17, 2017 at 01:05 AM
fzihlmann

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon EOS 5D MKIV focus question

I may not have clear in my question. When I refer to “manual select one point AF” I mean selecting one of the 61 AF points on the cameras AF sensor. This is NOT in the Live View mode. The “Flexi Zone AF” I am referring to is in Live View.

Sep 17, 2017 at 02:22 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon EOS 5D MKIV focus question

Anything "flexi" is giving the camera a greater degree of control, and taking some away from you. The AF may well be perfect, but has it focused on the part of the subject that you wanted it to ? Perhaps, but not necessarily.

For focus stacking you may be better off with manual focus, but that varies with how easy the lens is to use for manual focus. Some are much better than others. It may not matter for AF but for MF you want a lot of rotation of the focus ring so that you have finer control.

Sep 24, 2017 at 04:13 PM
fzihlmann

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon EOS 5D MKIV focus question

Thank you Alan for the good info. I have been doing focus stacking with manual focusing but it takes me longer to do a stack. However, I agree with your point that it is a more precise approach. What I have to practice is to turn the lens focus ring just enough without checking focus for the 2nd, 3rd, etc. shot.

Sep 24, 2017 at 05:01 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password