Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2017 · Is it the camera (D3200) the lens (Nikkor 70-300) or me?

newjerseysurf
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Is it the camera (D3200) the lens (Nikkor 70-300) or me?

ok so here's another shot. admittedly not shot by me, but with my camera and lens. and i think on auto mode, closer to midday so light less of a concern.

this is after post processing, but seems quite a bit sharper.

i wonder if my main issue isn't just lighting.

https://i.imgur.com/k8T2zXX.jpg

Sep 28, 2017 at 08:00 PM
SSISteve
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Is it the camera (D3200) the lens (Nikkor 70-300) or me?

ckcarr wrote:
With very basic post processing I can see his fingers, toes, and nose...

I'm guessing, that using the tripod, panning carefully at a lower shutter speed may help. Along with a lot of practice, which may mean several thousand frames...

It's still not very good.

Sep 28, 2017 at 09:17 PM
SSISteve
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Is it the camera (D3200) the lens (Nikkor 70-300) or me?

newjerseysurf wrote:
ok so here's another shot. admittedly not shot by me, but with my camera and lens. and i think on auto mode, closer to midday so light less of a concern.

That image is much sharper so not sure if it's your technique.

Sep 28, 2017 at 09:18 PM
mbphoto_2.8
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Is it the camera (D3200) the lens (Nikkor 70-300) or me?

@SSISTEVE what else do you want? The processed image that @ckcarr shares looks fine to me.shitty lighting and iso 1600 only get you so far.

Sep 29, 2017 at 02:48 AM
Photozack81
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Is it the camera (D3200) the lens (Nikkor 70-300) or me?

newjerseysurf wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/k8T2zXX.jpg

This picture definitely stands out as being sharper than all the rest.

If it wasn't shot by you, and it was shot by your equipment, we now know where the fault lies.

Sep 29, 2017 at 03:23 AM
newjerseysurf
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Is it the camera (D3200) the lens (Nikkor 70-300) or me?

Photozack81 wrote:
This picture definitely stands out as being sharper than all the rest.

If it wasn't shot by you, and it was shot by your equipment, we now know where the fault lies.

while i am genuinely happy about that i am also scratching my head a bit.

that sharper image was shot by my sister, with no technical expertise whatsoever (not being mean, just truthful).

i believe it was shot on auto mode midday.

i wonder if maybe the "lighting rules of thumb" (which is to say mornings and evenings have the best lighting) go out the window when shooting surfing?

it would stand to reasons that a surfer in dark clothing on a dark wave at dawn or dusk would be inherently hard to capture in focus/super sharp. maybe midday is the answer? i'm not sure, just spit-balling.

Sep 29, 2017 at 07:37 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Is it the camera (D3200) the lens (Nikkor 70-300) or me?

SSISteve wrote:
It's still not very good.

Got to agree. I was only curious what I could do with it, subject to many limitations like it being a jpeg, compressed for the internet, etc etc

I still get back to the fact that the 70-300mm vr is not that great a lens on any camera > 20mp. It's why I don't own one anymore. I had three of those, and although someone was trying to show images above - they were taken with a D300 which is a 12mp camera.

It's all about light too. And advice had already been given to shoot at better times of the day.

Thinking about this also, the OP is buying a tripod which will have to be mounted on the base of the camera since the lens isn't designed for real tripod use. It's a general purpose lens for walk around. Be careful that you don't break any of the plastics on the lens mount or camera base.

Sep 29, 2017 at 07:53 AM
Berkyboy
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Is it the camera (D3200) the lens (Nikkor 70-300) or me?

ckcarr wrote:
Got to agree. I was only curious what I could do with it, subject to many limitations like it being a jpeg, compressed for the internet, etc etc

I still get back to the fact that the 70-300mm vr is not that great a lens on any camera > 20mp. It's why I don't own one anymore. I had three of those, and although someone was trying to show images above - they were taken with a D300 which is a 12mp camera.

It's all about light too. And advice had already been given to shoot at better times of the day.

Thinking
...Show more

Bingo!!!!

Sep 29, 2017 at 09:12 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.