New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

5DSR - burnt mirror housing?

Eyvind Ness
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5DSR - burnt mirror housing?

I've been using my 5dsr with zero issues for a couple of years now. It's my fave body, by far (my 1dx2 is a lot faster, of course, but most of the time, I need lots of megapixels before ultra-high speed).

Today, however, and totally out of the blue, I got Err 20. Took off the lens, and to my horror found something that looked like a smoked mirror housing, see attached pic.

Last thing I did, before this, was taking a couple of butterfly pics with my 100L. Are there other explanations than somehow, the sun made its way into the mirror box?

Sep 16, 2017 at 06:03 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5DSR - burnt mirror housing?

well is it possible it was placed somewhere angled towards the sun with the lens cap off ?
that looks a lot like one of the damaged cameras in Roger's blog about the damage after the Eclipse
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/09/rental-camera-gear-destroyed-by-the-solar-eclipse-of-2017/

Sep 16, 2017 at 06:33 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5DSR - burnt mirror housing?

It must be that the sun was in the lens, possibly slightly above the top of the image as seen in the VF.

EBH

Sep 16, 2017 at 06:58 PM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5DSR - burnt mirror housing?

There butterfly shots I took were backlit. I saw no sun in the viewfinder while shooting, though. I also used the hood. Somehow, the sun must have crept in, anyway, I guess.

Sep 16, 2017 at 07:05 PM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5DSR - burnt mirror housing?

Judging by the somewhat localized area that's burnt & melted I suspect that the camera was on a tripod or something else while pointing towards the sun sitting still for a long enough time for the sun to heat things up enough to cause damage. Also this type of damage is more prevalent with a long focal length lense like your 600mm f/4.

Sep 16, 2017 at 07:46 PM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5DSR - burnt mirror housing?

Except I was only using my 100L, hand-held.

Sep 16, 2017 at 08:03 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5DSR - burnt mirror housing?

Eyvind Ness wrote:
Except I was only using my 100L, hand-held.

It's possible the damage happened in an earlier/different shooting situation and only reached the point of an error 20 later. Or that the error 20 is even unrelated to the damage.

Sep 16, 2017 at 08:17 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5DSR - burnt mirror housing?

I've never seen anything like this. Does it smell burnt? This is an actual troubleshooting technique in electronics. Is there any other visible damage or smoke smudge? Could this have happened during the recent eclipse?

Hope you get this resolved--it's a real head-scratcher.

Sep 16, 2017 at 08:21 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5DSR - burnt mirror housing?

I've heard that it's a "hot" model, but that looks like heart-ache. Good luck, perhaps it's an inexpensive fix.

Sep 16, 2017 at 08:26 PM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5DSR - burnt mirror housing?

snapsy wrote:
It's possible the damage happened in an earlier/different shooting situation and only reached the point of an error 20 later. Or that the error 20 is even unrelated to the damage.

I appreciate your thinking "outside the box", snapsy! Not at all an improbable theory, this. And looking a few weeks back, a much more ominous scenario emerges from the back of my head: I was shooting the hawks and jays an early morning by a pond, full of fog.

Eventually, the sun bursted out and I used the chance to fog off the front element of my 600 by letting the sun do the job. I even took at BTS scene shot with my mobile phone:

At the time, it looked like a good idea:

In retrospect, I must have underestimated the power of the low, early autumn sun. Oh well, lesson learnt. I just hope the repair cost is manageable and worthwhile. I'd hate to give up my 5DSR.

Sep 16, 2017 at 08:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5DSR - burnt mirror housing?

But wow, that is a great shot.

I can't thing that it can't be the cause, because I imagine that it would be immediately that you'd have the error after the burn. Could it not have been left somewhere, where now you don't recall, like in a car with the cap off?

Sep 16, 2017 at 09:19 PM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5DSR - burnt mirror housing?

Pavel wrote:
But wow, that is a great shot.

I can't thing that it can't be the cause, because I imagine that it would be immediately that you'd have the error after the burn. Could it not have been left somewhere, where now you don't recall, like in a car with the cap off?

Thanks! But no, there is zero chance I leave the 600mm mounted after use. I always put it in the bag, with the hood on, when done, with no exceptions.

Sep 16, 2017 at 09:37 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5DSR - burnt mirror housing?

I am wondering if other damage was done, if you pointed your 600 at the sun to dry the fog off. The aperture may have some damage as well. I'd have everything checked out.

Sep 16, 2017 at 11:00 PM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5DSR - burnt mirror housing?

The aperture is fine, thank you :-)

Sep 17, 2017 at 07:18 AM
diverhank
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5DSR - burnt mirror housing?

I hate to pour oil on a fire but you might want to inspect your 600mm...there's a chance it might be damaged also...

Sep 17, 2017 at 08:55 AM
technic
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5DSR - burnt mirror housing?

snapsy wrote:

I would guess that it occurred with the 100L as such damage has happened to me with both my 450D and 80D camera using the 100L and 2.8/200L lenses for macro shots. In both cases there was no functional damage, just some marks in the mirror box. With the 450D there was smoke visible in the viewfinder for a brief moment (from burned paint in the mirror box) and a very thin swirly coating on the mirror, with the 80D I didn't notice anything until I spotted a mild burn mark when changing lenses. I like backlighting for macro shots and sometimes you don't see the sun until it is too late, especially when using FF lenses on APS-C camera of course; just because of this risk I have thought about adapting the lens hood for APS-C, but not sure it would help very much.

Sep 17, 2017 at 09:12 AM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5DSR - burnt mirror housing?

Very interesting, technic! Thanks for sharing your experiences with ditto scenario. I personally would think it was my 100L shooting that did it, even though shooting with the 600 a few weeks ago into the sun, because:

1) the sun was very low and pretty weak
2) the cause and effect delay of 3 weeks is just improbable
3) the macro effect is pretty strong (magnification) and at that time the sun also was strong (mid day)
4) your personal experience which matches mine exactly

Sep 17, 2017 at 10:56 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5DSR - burnt mirror housing?

While still a wee runt, I used to toast ants with a mere 2X magnifying glass. And it only took a second and they were blackened. I imagine even a modest telephoto would generate some serious heat after a few seconds of focused sun light. I guess I should check my cameras after shooting a sunset...

Sep 18, 2017 at 01:53 AM
Greg Schneider
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5DSR - burnt mirror housing?

I was cleaning my 5DSR sensor recently and was quite shocked to find similar melted plastic. Neither mirror nor sensor is affected though, and it's just a patch on the plastic area above the pins for lens communication.

I'm really mystified as to how it happened. I haven't done any backlit shooting, all aperture blades on all my lenses are unaffected as well. I did give some consideration to either a drop of sensor cleaning liquid or even bug spray getting in there, but it seems far fetched. So far the body works without issue.

Sep 21, 2017 at 06:51 PM
Jeff
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5DSR - burnt mirror housing?

Still curious if the OP shot the eclipse or not. I can totally see Error codes popping up later, that doesn't seem surprising at all.

Sep 29, 2017 at 03:52 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password