New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

canon 2x III owners, are you satisfied?

Tapeman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · canon 2x III owners, are you satisfied?

Are you expecting someone to say " my images have improved with the 2x"

If you want the reach you will have to pay the price, in image quality and cash.

Sep 17, 2017 at 02:20 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · canon 2x III owners, are you satisfied?

I purposely kept my 2X MK II for the few cases where I can stack it with the 1.4X III. That's for very unusual cases, and was probably not worth it, since IQ takes a rather large hit. For the solar eclipse, I used it and images were fine, its not as though extreme resolution was required.

Sep 17, 2017 at 02:26 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · canon 2x III owners, are you satisfied?

scalesusa wrote:
I purposely kept my 2X MK II for the few cases where I can stack it with the 1.4X III. That's for very unusual cases, and was probably not worth it, since IQ takes a rather large hit. For the solar eclipse, I used it and images were fine, its not as though extreme resolution was required.

Ed, you haven't shared your eclipse photos? Maybe put a couple here or the eclipse thread.

Sep 17, 2017 at 02:31 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · canon 2x III owners, are you satisfied?

Tapeman wrote:
Are you expecting someone to say " my images have improved with the 2x"

If you want the reach you will have to pay the price, in image quality and cash.

I'm sure not expecting people to state the obvious.
There is simply not more gaining in reach (aside from buying the 800, and that lens does not have as good IQ as the 600 + 1.4x).

I am just wondering how much you will lose in fine detail because i have never seen any crops with this combo. I did some tests with and without the 1.4x and can also confirm that it brings more detail compared to cropping, but i can't tell know how the 2x performs just by seeing resized images or reading responses it is good.

Sep 17, 2017 at 02:42 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · canon 2x III owners, are you satisfied?

dgdg wrote:
Ed, you haven't shared your eclipse photos? Maybe put a couple here or the eclipse thread.

Please share them here as well (might help others in the future looking for the same answer), thanks!

Sep 17, 2017 at 02:43 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · canon 2x III owners, are you satisfied?

therealthings wrote:
The resized pics look good but would love to see some crops as well if possible.
DxO shows a lot of image degradation on the chart with the 2xIII on a 600 II when used on a high density mp sensor of the 5dsr. Even at the center. But that's a chart, not sure what it does to e.g. fine feather detail.

What kind of crops do you want to see? 100% crops? My images posted above are all good sized crops from originals. I can post a couple of the originals to see how much the crop is.

Sep 17, 2017 at 02:52 PM
pshyvers

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · canon 2x III owners, are you satisfied?

therealthings wrote:
I can't tell know how the 2x performs just by seeing resized images or reading responses it is good.

Respectfully, you asked for our thoughts, not our 100% crops. If 100% crops was what you really wanted, say so from the start?

Sep 17, 2017 at 03:00 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · canon 2x III owners, are you satisfied?

Thoughts supported by crops does help. But nevermind, don't want so start a useless discussion. We have enough of these already. I'm going to order a converter and see for myself if it helps me, just like i did with the angle finder...

arbitrage wrote:
What kind of crops do you want to see? 100% crops? My images posted above are all good sized crops from originals. I can post a couple of the originals to see how much the crop is.

Didn't know you cropped these also.

dgdg wrote:
It should be cheap to rent and see the results first hand. Highly recommend! Only you can tell if it's right for you.
I'd say everyone with Mark 2 superteles gives it a big thumbs up.

Thanks, i will.

Edited on Sep 17, 2017 at 03:40 PM · View previous versions

Sep 17, 2017 at 03:22 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · canon 2x III owners, are you satisfied?

It should be cheap to rent and see the results first hand. Highly recommend! Only you can tell if it's right for you.
I'd say everyone with Mark 2 superteles gives it a big thumbs up.

Sep 17, 2017 at 03:23 PM
RobAmy
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · canon 2x III owners, are you satisfied?

therealthings wrote:
(aside from buying the 800, and that lens does not have as good IQ as the 600 + 1.4x).

Sorry for going off topic but this statement is just not true. In my real world experience,my 800mm is a great piece of glass and I will put it up against the 600mm and the 1.4x any time. The AF speed is a tad faster also then the 600mm and 1.4x. At the current used price point the 800mm is a outstanding value. I own both and in my opinion the image quality I like a bit more then the 600mm. They are both amazing performers. They both have their pros and cons but not in the image quality at all.

Sep 17, 2017 at 07:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RobAmy
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · canon 2x III owners, are you satisfied?

If you click on my Flickr links you can see a very large file vs the small file here

Sep 17, 2017 at 07:13 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · canon 2x III owners, are you satisfied?

Thanks Rob,

The largest dimensions i can check are 2048 wide. That is a lot better than the files posted here. (~50% on a 1dxII file) and the ones with the 600II and 2xIII look good.

According to your findings about the 800 vs 600 + 1.4x, i find that odd. I have read and heard more people say that the bare 800 is not as good as the 600 + 1.4x including Arthur Morris. (Even my CPS rep. said it)

"Sharpness

Thanks to Patrick Sparkman for sharing his composite comparative sharpness test above. The results above are unsharpened. Both Patrick and I agreed on our analysis of the results. As expected sharpness at the edge of the frame with all combos is less than in the middle of the frame. Unexpected was that the 600II alone was perceptibly sharper than the 800 alone, that the 600II with the 1.4X TC was sharper than 800 alone, and that the 600II with the 2X III was at least as sharp as the 800 alone. Considering that the 800 is the sharpest long lens that either of us have ever used the sharpness of the 600II with and without TCs is astounding.

By a large margin, the edge when considering sharpness goes to the 600II. Again, the 600II blows the 800 out of the water in this category."

I thought Ari wrote an article about those two lenses as well. Can't find it now. Not that i am saying the 800 is not great and i understand that image quality is more than sharpness alone.

Sep 17, 2017 at 08:15 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · canon 2x III owners, are you satisfied?

I don't have a 100% crop of feather detail from a 2x handy, but I have one online for a stacked 2x III + 2x II. If we resize the 4x TC 100% crop to 50%, we can simulate a 100% crop of a single 2x TC.

Feather detail with 4x worth of teleconverters

Sep 17, 2017 at 10:50 PM
Vancouver47
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · canon 2x III owners, are you satisfied?

I have the 2x MkIII plus 600MkII and use it with both full frame bodies and the 7DII with very good results. I would advise you start with at least 1/1600 SS even on a tripod to be sure any issues you think you have are really lens and not shake. Once that's settled you can drop the shutter speed to where you feel comfortable.

Edited on Sep 17, 2017 at 11:06 PM · View previous versions

Sep 17, 2017 at 10:51 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · canon 2x III owners, are you satisfied?

Oh, I found a crop with just a 2x II on a 7D. Wide open too. IQ from a 2x III would be at least equivalent or even slightly better than this.

Brown Shrike (Lanius cristatus)

Shooting Info - Bued River, Rosario, La Union, Philippines, October 28, 2015, 7D + 400 2.8 L IS + 2x TC II, f/5.6, ISO 320, 1/160 sec, 475B/516 support, manual exposure in available light, near full frame resized to 1500x1000.

100% crop:

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:00 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · canon 2x III owners, are you satisfied?

Another wide open 100% crop from the 2x II, this time with the fatter pixels of the 1D IV. IQ at the pixel level (even at ISO 1600) is slightly better than the 7D crop (at ISO 320) above, at the expense of significant reach reduction (no free lunch in this world, of course).

Lowland White-eye (Zosterops meyeni)

Shooting info - Bacnotan, La Union, Philippines, July 22, 2012, Canon 1D MIV + 400 2.8 IS + Canon 2x TC II, 800 mm, f/5.6, ISO 1600, 1/320 sec, 475B/516 support, manual exposure in available light, near full frame.

100% crop

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:13 PM
Greg Lavaty
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · canon 2x III owners, are you satisfied?

There are definitely some excellent samples from the 2x III on this thread. My personal experience with it hasn’t been all that satisfying. I have been using it on a 300mm f/2.8L IS USM II and EF 500mm f/4L IS USM and after getting the AFMA optimized I am able to get decent results from both setups but I use “lower end” bodies, 80D and 7dmk2 and maybe that is why I am struggling with the 2x III. What I find is that I typically have to take several attempts at a scene to get one where the focus is perfectly “nailed.” It is enough of a hassle that I pretty much never carry the 2x III with me anymore.

Sep 18, 2017 at 06:14 PM
Greg Lavaty
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · canon 2x III owners, are you satisfied?

Kathy White wrote:
The only lens I use it with is my 400 DOII and I like it fine on it and use it often. Its gives me a way to get to 800mm that I can handle.

To you and others that have used this combination and are happy with it, do you find you get great results wide open? I had the 400mm f/4 DO II for a time and the main reason that I didn't keep it was that I wasn't getting such great results with the 2x III on the lens wide open. I found that if I stopped down to f/11 I was very happy with the results but everything was just a bit soft wide open. I tried two different copies of the 400mm f/4 DO II and saw the same result both times. Other than that I really liked the lens quite a bit.

Sep 18, 2017 at 06:30 PM
gkinard1952

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · canon 2x III owners, are you satisfied?

Greg Lavaty wrote:
To you and others that have used this combination and are happy with it, do you find you get great results wide open? I had the 400mm f/4 DO II for a time and the main reason that I didn't keep it was that I wasn't getting such great results with the 2x III on the lens wide open. I found that if I stopped down to f/11 I was very happy with the results but everything was just a bit soft wide open. I tried two different copies of the 400mm f/4 DO II and saw the same
...Show more
I have exactly the same experience with the 400 DO ll. Mine softens up with the 1.4. But I put up with it. I personally like it for birding better than the 300 ll lens. I am using the 7d and Mark IV.

Sep 18, 2017 at 07:05 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · canon 2x III owners, are you satisfied?

Greg Lavaty wrote:
To you and others that have used this combination and are happy with it, do you find you get great results wide open? I had the 400mm f/4 DO II for a time and the main reason that I didn't keep it was that I wasn't getting such great results with the 2x III on the lens wide open. I found that if I stopped down to f/11 I was very happy with the results but everything was just a bit soft wide open. I tried two different copies of the 400mm f/4 DO II and saw the same
...Show more

I mostly shoot it wide open at f/8. I've been very happy with the results. Here are a couple samples.

Canon EOS-1D X Mark II    EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM +2x III lens    800mm    f/8.0    1/2000s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV    EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM +2x III lens    800mm    f/8.0    1/640s    1250 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV    EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM +2x III lens    800mm    f/8.0    1/800s    1250 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D X Mark II    EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM +2x III lens    800mm    f/8.0    1/250s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D X Mark II    EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM +2x III lens    800mm    f/8.0    1/800s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D X Mark II    EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM +2x III lens    800mm    f/8.0    1/1600s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:25 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password