New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Gear/Rain Protection

bobmcg
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gear/Rain Protection

I would appreciate advice on gear/rain protection for camera and lens. I think I need two covers: one for DSLR with Tamron 15-30 and other for DSLR with 500mm F4. I'm familiar with the various brands and setups but am looking for real-world experience. Thanks in advance.

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:58 AM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gear/Rain Protection

I use ThinkTank hydros.

Sep 16, 2017 at 01:53 PM
Fred Amico
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gear/Rain Protection

I went the cheap route and used rain sleeves form Op Tech. Very inexpensive but do the job (at least for me). Used a couple on a rain-filled trip to Alaska to protect a full-sized DSLR and telephoto lens. Kept everything dry for the entire trip.

These are cheap enough that I keep a spare in each of my camera bags - just in case.

Sep 16, 2017 at 07:09 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gear/Rain Protection

I use plastic bags from Walmart, sometimes with a rubber band to hold them on in wind. They work well. Also can be used on the ground to kneel on, or filled with snow or sand and hung from my tripod. Or, over my head as a rain hat. Geez, if camera stores sold something as versatile as this they would be 10 bucks each!

Kent in SD

Sep 16, 2017 at 07:31 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gear/Rain Protection

Right on Kent, and they keep gear just as dry as expensive OpTech or ThinkTank gear. They also take up less room and can be replaced for pennies.

Sep 17, 2017 at 01:12 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gear/Rain Protection

Biggest challenge in any real rain will be protecting your 15-30 VC with its combination of shallow hood and bulbous front element.

Sep 17, 2017 at 01:18 AM
pjheller
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gear/Rain Protection

Think Tank Hydrophobia or Aqua Tech.

Sep 17, 2017 at 02:23 AM
la puffin
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gear/Rain Protection

I have both of the ThinkTank Hydrophobias (one for my 400 and another for my 70-200). I also bought the OpTech sleeves since they're so cheap and easy to keep in my roller.

I used the OpTech the other night because I was too lazy to put on the Hydrophobias. It was a stupid mistake.

The one for the 400 didn't fit well over my D5. Water leaked in and shooting while trying to keep the end around the body just didn't work. The other one on my 70-200 (I use both rigs at the same time had leak problems as it doesn't close off the back of the body. The drawstring kept sliding down the lens. As I walked back into the media room and ripped the bags off of my gear, I vowed to take the extra minute to put on the TT covers and protect my gear properly.

Sep 18, 2017 at 07:31 AM
BKeroack

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gear/Rain Protection

I've used the OpTech for several years, for occasional light use, they are great, and very portable. This year we got a ThinkTank Hydrophobia for the 300 2.8 and it is much easier to use for the duration of a football game, soccer, or whatever. Nice to be able to seal up the back during breaks, and the quality is great! Very worth the price!

Sep 19, 2017 at 03:55 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gear/Rain Protection

schlotz wrote:
I use ThinkTank hydros.

Same here, TT 70-200 and 300-600 v.2; plus, an Aquatech SS-Zoom.

I also keep Op/Tech rainsleeves in a couple of bags, in case I get unexpected rain, or a windy waterfall, or etc. Heck, I'll even use a plastic grocery bag, if that's all I have (or can find). OTOH, a plastic bag or rainsleeve won't last 15 minutes, when I'm shooting action with a camera off each shoulder, and a big white on a monopod.

Sep 19, 2017 at 06:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

duranash

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Gear/Rain Protection

I use Storm Jackets. They are simple to use and inexpensive. Just did 5 days in Alaska with lots of rain and they worked well for my longer lenses. As another poster mentioned, short glass with tulip lens hoods are another matter

Oct 27, 2017 at 02:44 AM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Gear/Rain Protection

The TT stuff will keep you dryr camera dry in a downpour, but it is bulky. And those nifty viewing areas will fog up very quickly as you bring moisture inside the enclosure with your hands. Ask yourself how many times are you going to be shooting in a downpour, and can you justify all the space it takes for AT MOST 1x/year occurrence (for me). The optech sleeves are OK but they don't fit FF cameras well. Nothing cheaper than a trashbag though, together with a rubber band to secure it to the lens barrel.

Nov 01, 2017 at 04:44 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Gear/Rain Protection

GroovyGeek wrote:
The optech sleeves are OK but they don't fit FF cameras well.

Mine fit fine and get used during Songkhran.

Setting up a camera, lens and shooter for Songkhran takes silicone, electrical tape, elastic (not rubber) bands, an OpTech, microfiber cloths, tennis wristbands, among other things.

Nov 01, 2017 at 05:05 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Gear/Rain Protection

GroovyGeek wrote:

Paul Mo wrote:
Mine fit fine and get used during Songkhran.

Setting up a camera, lens and shooter for Songkhran takes silicone, electrical tape, elastic (not rubber) bands, an OpTech, microfiber cloths, tennis wristbands, among other things.

Sounds like shooting a paintball tournament.

Nov 01, 2017 at 07:50 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Gear/Rain Protection

Except with my 600mm lens I get by very well with a poncho that covers me and my gear. I bought an extra long one that was designed to go over a backpack and so I can have it over me and over the tripod and camera and lens and it becomes a portable tent and I shoot through the hood. Ponchos also work well in tropical environments where a waterproof jacket would be very uncomfortable.

Nov 04, 2017 at 06:29 AM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Gear/Rain Protection

Check out Fotosharp. They are made of silnylon and come in white which I think is the best color because ambient light shines through the cover so it is easier to see controls. It cinches tightly to the lens and the stiffness of the fabric (limp) does not interfere with the tension. Also, silnylon is very compact compared to the corder covers. It easily wads up and fits in your pocket. Tends to not soak through so a hard thwack of the material knocks off most of the water droplets when wanting to store it. Even better, they are pretty inexpensive.

I also like it that the business is very old school. The website is clunky. You order the cover, they ship it, and you pay after. Something like that, I can't remember exactly but it is nice to be trusted once in a while!

Nov 06, 2017 at 02:31 AM
rstoddard11
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Gear/Rain Protection

I've used some rain covers, but they always seem to get in the way. I also don't like how some move around a lot. What I have done is get some small sized snow gaiters for hiking/skiing and cinch those over the lens. That way if the cover flops around or moves, the lens is still protected.

Nov 06, 2017 at 02:42 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Gear/Rain Protection

GroovyGeek wrote:

Though at the same time I do agree with this - they are designed as a 'general fit' item. That being said, few things are a perfect fit. But that's why they invented zip ties and tape.

Nov 06, 2017 at 08:29 AM
Flowernut
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Gear/Rain Protection

I user raincovers from http://fotosharp.com/ they are very thin coated nylon. Very simple and easy to use. Easily fits in hip pocket. Sturdier than plastic bags (I carry that too) and much cheaper than Thinktank etc, it makes a great piece to carry in the field for nature photography.

Nov 07, 2017 at 06:42 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password