New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Lenses you like for the Sony LA-EA4 adapter

pasblues
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lenses you like for the Sony LA-EA4 adapter

Do you have some lenses you like to use with this adapter?

Sep 16, 2017 at 04:05 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lenses you like for the Sony LA-EA4 adapter

In total, I had 4 Sony A-mount lenses but just one lens that I kept until fairly recently; it was my first A-mount lens and ended up as my last. That was the Sony 135mm f/1.8 Zeiss lens.

Sep 16, 2017 at 04:23 AM
trogdon
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lenses you like for the Sony LA-EA4 adapter

The A mount has some pretty interesting lenses, as mentioned above the 135mm f1.8 being one of the best. There's some other unique lenses, like the Minolta 500mm f8 mirror lens (the only AF mirror lens), and the Zeiss 85mm f1.4 is another good one.

Sep 16, 2017 at 05:22 AM
lightskyland
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lenses you like for the Sony LA-EA4 adapter

The 28-135/4-4.5 (secret handshake) is great. I still use it, I don't have anything better in a zoom (and don't know of anything better other than the 24-70 GM, but far less range on that lens).

Sep 16, 2017 at 05:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

drjs
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lenses you like for the Sony LA-EA4 adapter

Among the original AF zooms, 35-70 and 70-300 are considered cheap but fairly decent. 2nd generation 24-105 and 28-135 are ones to try as well. On the prime side, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 135 2.8, and 100 2.8 all get fantastic reviews. The newer A mount zooms with silent AF and Zeiss branding are all very good.

Sep 16, 2017 at 01:46 PM
BoneCounter
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lenses you like for the Sony LA-EA4 adapter

I picked up an la-ea4 and the Maxxum 135/2.8 after the Batis 135 price was announced. Got near mint copies of both for $380 total. I've been very impressed with it, but I will probably get the Batis one day. A while back I also bought a bargain-labeled copy of the 200/2.8 APO HS from KEH, something like $200 cheaper than comparable copies I've seen on ebay and on FM. Unfortunately I haven't found the time to take it out. Reviewers sure like it though.

Sep 16, 2017 at 02:17 PM
coase

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lenses you like for the Sony LA-EA4 adapter

I like it for cheap lenses I keep around like the Beercan, the Big Beercan, and the Cosina/Vivitar 100mm/f3.5 macro.

Sep 16, 2017 at 02:35 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lenses you like for the Sony LA-EA4 adapter

Although some A-mount lenses are optically excellent but the AF system, both that's built into the LA-EA4 and the AF motors of many of those lenses, are dated and have seen better days. I liked and used them back then in the early days of the A7-series cameras, like the A7r and A7s. However, those lenses in combo with the LA-EA4 cannot take full advantage of the PDAF system and various AF features built into the A7 II and A7r II.

If you have and use an A-mount body, like the A99 II, those lenses work as well as native E-mount lenses on the A7r II. Sony should come up with an updated version of the LA-EA4, which actually acts as the bottleneck in the system. Regardless, the AF motors built into most lenses are loud and bothersome, at least to me. The Sony 24mm f/2 Z has a newer silent AF motor and it works better with the LA-EA3 without any SLT mirror. Still, the Zeiss Batis 25mm handily trumps it in practically all aspects and yes, the Batis is lighter and smaller, too. The only advantage I see in those lenses using the LA-EA4 is their fairly low price and that's a good reason for that. I realize that your mileage may vary, however.

Sep 16, 2017 at 03:15 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password