New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · UFT recomendations

lowa2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · UFT recomendations

Hey all,

A little background, i was a longtime 4/3 user when the E3/E5 were around and was pretty heavily invested. Had the 300/2.8 / 150/2 and some other SHG lenses at the time.

Then came the UFT revolution and I sold everything and went Canon. No regrets. I will keep my 1Dx and 500/4 for the dedicated photo trips.

Life has changed quite a bit (kids) and I now travel quite a lot across Canada for work.

So the obvious problem now is hauling all this stuff around. Too heavy. My main topics when travelling are wildlife and nightscapes.

Im looking at a few cameras (Em5 mk2 and omd em1) looking for the best compromise of nightime IQ and AF speed for mostly stationarry birds. From research, it seems the Em5 Mk2 has the best nighttime IQ?

What is the concesus between the 300 Pro + 1.4 vs the Pana 100-400?

Any and all discussions welcomed.

Thanks,

Charles

Sep 15, 2017 at 03:52 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · UFT recomendations

If you are used to shooting with the 1Dx and 500/4L you will probably be better served with the E-M1.2 and 300/4 PRO + 1.4x TC. These were all shot with that combo:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1508520

Sep 15, 2017 at 07:26 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · UFT recomendations

Oh I shouldnt have looked at those! Lol!!!

Wicked pictures, have a hard time believing its with a u43 camera! Great work!

Whats your keeper rate in situations like this?

Sep 15, 2017 at 07:46 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · UFT recomendations

Thanks Charles! To be honest, the AF for BIF is nowhere near as efficient as the 1Dx or any DSLR for that matter. But with lots of practice and some good technique e.g. pre-focusing, you can increase your keeper rate.

lowa2 wrote:
Oh I shouldnt have looked at those! Lol!!!

Wicked pictures, have a hard time believing its with a u43 camera! Great work!

Whats your keeper rate in situations like this?

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:33 PM
Wilbus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · UFT recomendations

Can't comment on the lenses as I don't have either yet but there are great shots on FM from both, the 300 F4 seems to generally produce better results then the PL 100-400 but at the expense of versatility of course. There are some who make the 100-400 sing though.

For my own sake, with m43, it's all about speed. The faster lens the better, the sensors and cameras are great but due to smaller sensors they are fighting a little up-hill battle. No use making that battle harder with slower glass for me.

If you compare E-M5 Mk II with E-M1 Mk I you have much better controlled noise for long exposures in the E-M5 Mk II. The E-M1 Mk I is horrific without long exposure noise reduction on. I did as test between them both (friend has got the E-M5.2)

The E-M1.2 again has as good or better performance as the E-M5.2 so I'd go for one of the newer cameras, meaning Mark II's and stay away from the Mk I's.

Focus on stationary birds should be no problem but like Bobby said, they're still not quite there for birds in flight, not compared to high end DSLR's. I'd say one generation more guessing from the Sony A9 which apparently is there already.

Sep 16, 2017 at 01:40 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · UFT recomendations

Well said, Rasmus. I don't really know if the E-M1.2 performs well in low light i.e. less noise compared to the E-M5.2 but it would make sense that the later-generation Olympus sensors are better. I will hopefully be doing some night sky photography in Yosemite next month. Still agonizing over whether I should get the PL 8-18 or the super-compact, fast, rectilinear Laowa 7.5/2 lens.

Wilbus wrote:
Can't comment on the lenses as I don't have either yet but there are great shots on FM from both, the 300 F4 seems to generally produce better results then the PL 100-400 but at the expense of versatility of course. There are some who make the 100-400 sing though.

For my own sake, with m43, it's all about speed. The faster lens the better, the sensors and cameras are great but due to smaller sensors they are fighting a little up-hill battle. No use making that battle harder with slower glass for me.

If you compare E-M5 Mk II with
...Show more

Sep 16, 2017 at 02:36 PM
newphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · UFT recomendations

bobbytan wrote:
Well said, Rasmus. I don't really know if the E-M1.2 performs well in low light i.e. less noise compared to the E-M5.2 but it would make sense that the later-generation Olympus sensors are better. I will hopefully be doing some night sky photography in Yosemite next month. Still agonizing over whether I should get the PL 8-18 or the super-compact, fast, rectilinear Laowa 7.5/2 lens.

My EM1-II does quite well on night skies with a Panasonic 8-18. I shot this one at 30 seconds and ISO 4000.

Sep 17, 2017 at 04:58 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · UFT recomendations

Thanks for all the discussion. I think I have settled on an EM5 MK II and a few select lenses like the 12-40 and perhaps even the 25/1.2 for now!

Sep 18, 2017 at 08:53 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.