New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Help with lens for a loyal employee

iroar

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with lens for a loyal employee

I shoot Nikon so I am wholly unfamiliar with the Canon line. I wish to buy a gift for an employee that shoots a Canon IOs T3. She shoots landscape and portraits.
I am thinking something like a 24-70mm 2.8 but i notice their are 2 versions.

Is the newer version worth the extra money?

Thank you

Sep 15, 2017 at 06:57 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with lens for a loyal employee

yes it is worth the extra money but a used one can be found for around $700 and I doubt she will see the difference.
When I posted this, I forgot that the Canon EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 lens would be better for her. It's almost L quality, less money, and will allow for a wider view on that crop body.

Edited on Sep 17, 2017 at 01:02 PM · View previous versions

Sep 15, 2017 at 07:04 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help with lens for a loyal employee

iroar wrote:
I shoot Nikon so I am wholly unfamiliar with the Canon line. I wish to buy a gift for an employee that shoots a Canon IOs T3. She shoots landscape and portraits.

Thank you

What does she already have?

An aps-c body like the T3 will change the effective field of view on the 24-70 making is seem longer, so it might not suit her needs. Any lens can do a landscape, but some use certain focal lengths more than others.
That being said, the V2 of the 24-70mm is much better.
I'd find out from a friend what she already has.
Maybe she needs a backup camera instead?

Sep 15, 2017 at 07:10 PM
jeraldcook
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help with lens for a loyal employee

Yes, the v2 version is superior to the original version. I have a v2 and it's fantastic and worth the extra money IMO.

You're very generous with offering to buy her a pricey lens but if I was shopping for my self with that budget, and I was shooting a T3, I'd be very tempted get a new body, like a T7i or T77, and a couple of cheaper primes, like the 85 f/1.8 and the 24 STM (or 24 f/2.8 IS if the budget allowed).

That being said, do you know what lenses your employee currently has or uses the most?

Sep 15, 2017 at 07:15 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help with lens for a loyal employee

I've got another thought. Since her T3 has a 1.6X crop factor, something like the legendary 16-35 f/4L IS would be very nice. This gives her an effective 25.6mm to 56mm on the T3 and, if she ever upgrades to full frame, a truly pro-quality wide angle.

The other suggestions are good, I'm just a huge fanboy of the 16-35 f/4L IS. I also used earlier versions of the 16-35 on 1.3X crop cameras and they worked seamlessly.

Sep 15, 2017 at 07:32 PM
mudlake
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help with lens for a loyal employee

If I were the employee and shot landscape and portrait, I would love it if you gave me a new Canon 6D with the 24-70/4L IS. That combo takes stunning landscape and can do portraits as well. Plus it's almost the same price as a 24-70/2.8L II. She would have a fantastic full frame camera AND a fantastic landscape lens. This combo is much better than what she has paired with the 24-70/2.8II in my opinion.

Edited on Sep 16, 2017 at 01:48 AM · View previous versions

Sep 15, 2017 at 07:47 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help with lens for a loyal employee

iroar wrote:
I shoot Nikon so I am wholly unfamiliar with the Canon line. I wish to buy a gift for an employee that shoots a Canon IOs T3.

Get her Canon 200 f/2 IS.....a very nice lens and very versatile.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1502730/0#14182109

Sep 15, 2017 at 07:56 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help with lens for a loyal employee

An APS-C equivalent would be a better fit and less expensive. The Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS or Tamron 17-50mm VC would do nicely.

EDIT: Sent you a PM as well.

Sep 15, 2017 at 08:07 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help with lens for a loyal employee

mudlake wrote:
If I were the employee and shot landscape and portrait, I would love it if you gave me a new Canon 6D with the 24-70/4L IS. That combo takes stunning landscape and can do portraits as well. Plus it's almost the same price as a 24-70/2.8L II. She would have a fantastic full frame camera AND a fantastic landscape lens. The combo is much better than what she has paired with the 24-70/2.8II in my opinion.

Good call. Seriously, OP, this is a great idea.

Sep 15, 2017 at 11:25 PM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help with lens for a loyal employee

iroar wrote:
". . . gift for an employee . . ."

Hmmm, do you have any job openings? Hopefully Peter's 200f/2 will still be available!

Sep 16, 2017 at 12:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

tsangc
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Help with lens for a loyal employee

How about a EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS? Better match fit a crop.

Sep 16, 2017 at 01:13 AM
DougVaughn
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Help with lens for a loyal employee

I can also recommend the 24-70 f/4. I bought it for my wife a couple years ago and am continually amazed at how good it is for the price. Either that or we ended up with the best copy Canon made.

Sep 16, 2017 at 01:44 AM
malikt

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Help with lens for a loyal employee

Would love to work in your company.

Sep 16, 2017 at 05:17 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Help with lens for a loyal employee

Why take the risk of buying something she might not want or already saved for. If she is really into photography and you want to give something, get her a giftcard/coupon from B&H or other camera store and do something personal with the packaging or put it in a book that has helpful tricks about her style of photography. Can't go wrong there. She might not even buy a lens, but a bag she always wanted, new memorycards or a second battery, who knows...

Sep 16, 2017 at 06:43 AM
iroar

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Help with lens for a loyal employee

Thank you everyone for your feedback Going to get her the 24-70mm ver1 as I think this will encourage her to go FF some day and it will be a lot of fun in the interim.

Sep 17, 2017 at 09:05 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Help with lens for a loyal employee

Yes, and with the 200mm F2.0 lens a Gym membership. Maybe best use a little snooping and find out what she wants?

Sep 18, 2017 at 02:01 PM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Help with lens for a loyal employee

iroar wrote:
Thank you everyone for your feedback Going to get her the 24-70mm ver1 as I think this will encourage her to go FF some day and it will be a lot of fun in the interim.

Good call - it is the lens which I still keep and never considered upgrading. Better housing built than version II, and the close-up mode of the vers I lens is fantastic, too.

Sep 18, 2017 at 02:06 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Help with lens for a loyal employee

Used 24-70 2.8ii for 700? Damn I'm out of touch with the used market lately
Kenneth Farver wrote:
yes it is worth the extra money but a used one can be found for around $700 and I doubt she will see the difference.
When I posted this, I forgot that the Canon EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 lens would be better for her. It's almost L quality, less money, and will allow for a wider view on that crop body.

Sep 22, 2017 at 04:29 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Help with lens for a loyal employee

iroar wrote:

Thank you

In these cases I urge the buyer to do one of the following:

1. Tell the recipient that she is going to receive a lens and ask her what she would like.

2. Give the recipient a gift card or other redeemable value that she can spend on the lens she likes

3. Offer to take the recipient to a store to make the selection and purchase.

I am certain that the buyer has the best of intentions, but it would be way to easy to make a mistake that neither buyer or recipient want to make.

Folks on this forum know a few things for sure. Photographers hold strong opinions about what is "best" for them. What is best for one is often not best for another, and might even be exactly wrong. If you ask 20 of us for a "what is best" recommendation, you'll possibly get 20 different answers.

(For example, if I were getting a t3 user a "better lens" for "portraits and landscapes," I'd probably not get the 24-70mm lens — even though I own one — but instead get the EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. But, no, I am not telling you to get that for her!)

She is lucky that you want to do such a nice thing. But, I think it may work out best for both of you if you forego the surprise and work with her.

Dan

Sep 22, 2017 at 05:06 PM
krementz
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Help with lens for a loyal employee

gdanmitchell wrote:
Photographers hold strong opinions about what is "best" for them. What is best for one is often not best for another, and might even be exactly wrong. If you ask 20 of us for a "what is best" recommendation, you'll possibly get 20 different answers.

Danger! :-)

Dan

Only 20 recommendations from 20 members? Naw, it will be a lot more than 20

Sep 22, 2017 at 05:10 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password