New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Monopod recommendations

pjheller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Monopod recommendations

Been quite a while since I shopped for a monopod . . . Time to get a new one as my Manfrotto/Bogen 680B just fell apart (and parts to fix it it aren't available).

Don't need a head, just something sturdy to hold a DSLR and long glass. I liked the pods with latches (like the 680B) but that has proven to be the weakest point, so am thinking about trying one that turns to lock. CF isn't essential.

Anybody use the Feisol CM-1471? Looks like it might be an option.

Thanks.

Sep 15, 2017 at 12:41 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Monopod recommendations

Feisol makes outstanding kit. I just bought one of their tripods.

But for a monopod I bought an Oben CTM-2500 5-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod. I really like it -- very solid, nice and tall, opens and closes easily, good weight, and good price at $95 (B&H). No complaints at all.

Sep 15, 2017 at 01:05 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Monopod recommendations

I switched from the Manfrotto to a Gitzo GM3550, which seems to have been replaced with a 4552L. I added a Kirk monopod head to it because I want to be able to pivot the camera up/down, but that's a matter of personal taste.

I absolutely love this [expensive] monopod. It's long enough that I can stand on a rock or stream bank and have the leg reach solid footing below me, and it's stable enough for my 500 + 1.4 extender on a Canon series 1 DSLR. And it's relatively light. Love the twist locks, but I've preferred twist over lever for more than a decade. Once you learn how to use them, I find them faster and easier to set than levers, but that's also a matter of personal taste.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the new tripod's "Big Foot" pivot, but it looks interesting enough that I just ordered one from Manfrotto/Gitzo. If you don't like it, look at RRS's tripod feet, which I prefer over Gitzo's standard ones. Again, changing the foot is a matter of taste, I think.

Sep 16, 2017 at 12:33 PM
Bobarino
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Monopod recommendations

I wanted a compact monopod that would allow me to sneak into places where tripods aren't allowed (concerts etc). Given Sirui's reputation for build-quality and value, I went with their P-326. ($99.??). I'll probably put a Sirui L-10 tilt base on it, and I'm quite confident that it'll serve me well. There's also an ultra-compact tilt-base from Manfrotto, but I believe it has plastic parts,,,, still, I may get one when I need it to be ultra-stealthy. That base would probably be fine for a while, with my smaller/lighter gear.

Lots of very positive reviews on the P-326.

Sep 16, 2017 at 03:24 PM
pjheller
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Monopod recommendations

Happened to see the Sirui the other day . . . think it may come down to it or the Feisol.

Sep 16, 2017 at 03:31 PM
Bobarino
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Monopod recommendations

Abbott Schindl wrote:
The only thing I'm not sure about is the new tripod's "Big Foot" pivot, but it looks interesting enough that I just ordered one from Manfrotto/Gitzo. If you don't like it, look at RRS's tripod feet, which I prefer over Gitzo's standard ones. Again, changing the foot is a matter of taste, I think.

I just bought a 3-foot set of Gitzo's new 50mm ball/swivel feet for my GT-3542XLS, and these things REALLY stay put on smooth surfaces. The ball/swivel action has just the right amount of tension to prevent them from flopping around, and there's a notch on the top-side edge of the foot, which allows the foot to tilt virtually 90 degrees, much like a ball-head tilt-notch, for tilting from landscape to portrait mode. Very handy when you're shooting a ground-level set. That said, this feature probably wouldn't help on your monopod.

Now, to be completely honest, I haven't installed those feet yet,,, I JUST got them from GitzoSpares.com

When I received them however, I examined them closely, and when I placed one on my dining room table, I tried moving the foot side-to-side and that foot stayed put as if it was glued to the table. I was shocked at the holding power.

Now, this of course was on a smooth flat surface. I presume they'll perform almost as well on other surfaces such as wood, tile, linoleum, and vinyl floors, as well as on concrete, asphalt, and stone surfaces.

The reason I ordered those feet in the first place, was because I sometimes found my 3-series Systematic (GT-3542XLS) unstable on a wood floor, especially if the floor had a bit of dust. That tripod stands close to 7' tall, and it has a very wide footprint when the legs are fully deployed. When I looked very closely at the root cause of the instability, it was down to the rubber-capped spiked feet sliding across the smooth surface of that floor;,, very skittish.That rounded and tapered rubber-capped foot has very little actual contact surface with the floor,,, probably less than 1/4 sq.in. The new 50mm "BigFoot" has a flat bottom, with 3.14 sq.in. of contact area. The rubber that Gitzo chose for this foot, has just the right amount of 'tack", so it really sticks. I'm reasonably convinced that these feet will greatly help stabilizing that tripod on smooth surfaces. (I like my spikes outdoors/grass, etc)

If you're going to order one for your monopod,,, you may be better off ordering a set of three. The reason I say that is because when I ordered mine, the price of a single foot, was almost the same as a set of three. I paid $50. CDN for a 3-foot set. Money well spent in my opinion.

Gitzo now includes those feet as standard equipment on all their latest series Systematics.

Sep 16, 2017 at 06:40 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Monopod recommendations

I have a feisol monopod and love it.

Sep 17, 2017 at 12:07 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Monopod recommendations

My Sirui works very well. You may want a monopod taller than you. I always thought this was bull until I needed to set it on stairs lower than me.

Sep 17, 2017 at 01:39 PM
Bobarino
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Monopod recommendations

runamuck wrote:
My Sirui works very well. You may want a monopod taller than you. I always thought this was bull until I needed to set it on stairs lower than me.

or, shooting over people's heads (crowd).

Sep 17, 2017 at 05:05 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Monopod recommendations

Using a Sirui P-326 CF monopod here, with a Sigma 150-600 C and gripped Sony A6300. Holds the weight just fine, even when I'm leaning down on the tripod foot.

Sep 26, 2017 at 01:13 PM
Dale Kirchhofer
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Monopod recommendations

I've had a Manfrotto Neotec 685B for 4-5 years paired with an Induro BHD3 ball head. Use it with my D4S + 200 F2. Never had a problem and really like the one handed operation.

Sep 27, 2017 at 07:55 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Monopod recommendations

I have three monopods: (i) Manfrotto Neo-Tec (like Dale, above); (ii) Feisol CM-1471 Rapid, and (iii) Manfrotto 676B Digi. The last is very small and light, and I use it with a light-weight travel kit (some places allow monopods, not tripods). I use the Neo-Tec and Feisol with just about everything, from 14/2.8 UMC to 500/4L IS. I really like the one-handed operation offered by the Neo-Tec; particularly when shooting in close quarters, like in a theatre. OTOH, the Neo-Tec is large and heavy (1.1kg, 74cm folded), compared to the Feisol (0.7kg, 55cm folded), and so the Feisol gets the most use away from home and the car.

If I could have only one monopod, it would be the Feisol. Also, I'll be keeping the RRS MH-01 monopod head that I currently share between the Neo-Tec and Feisol.

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:10 AM
rsartin
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Monopod recommendations

My 680B "Broke a Leg" after being thoroughly abused by me for 8 years. I shoot a lot of sports so the poor thing has put up with me running around with everything from 400mm 2.8's to 800mm's so no complaints from me. I was crushed when I found out they were no longer available, but I found one that is all but brand new at KEH for $45...may buy some more for spares That being said, I've got some parts available (I kept the broken one for parts).

Oct 01, 2017 at 03:31 PM
JimmyJames
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Monopod recommendations

I broke the plastic cam on a 680 (silver) and bought replacement parts here - https://www.manfrottospares.com/

I love my 680 and 680B monopods. That said I purchased a BENRO A49F and is also very good.

Oct 06, 2017 at 10:04 AM
fredmaurer
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Monopod recommendations

I started with a Manfrotto 694 (with the latches) and the swivel head (3229). It was great but too light for heavy glass.
Moved up to a Gitzo GT3542XLS with a Really Right Stuff MH-01 head. Much stronger and I still have it as my back-up.

Now use a Really Right Stuff MC-34 with the MH-01 monopod head. I can't imagine anything better!

There currently is a listing on the Buy/Sell forum for one of this exact combination:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1516803/0?keyword=monopod#14248402

Nov 12, 2017 at 08:07 PM
IronFilm

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Monopod recommendations

I have a Sirui too, I think they're really good value.

Nov 13, 2017 at 08:39 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Monopod recommendations

I have since purchased the Sirui P424SR monopod. Those little feet sticking out mean it will stand on its own, No, I would never leave it unattended with a camera on it, but it has saved me bending over to pick it up several times. At my age, getting up is harder and harder.

Nov 14, 2017 at 05:40 PM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Monopod recommendations

My sirui 424 is very sturdy. The one I have doesn't have the feet for video.

Nov 15, 2017 at 04:14 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Monopod recommendations

Got the sirui p326 this week (in combination with the lc 10 head) and so far it looks very good. Holds a gripped 5d with a 500 II easily and like how compact it is

Nov 19, 2017 at 02:54 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.