Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       4       end
  

Tamron 100-400 is coming
  
 
Snopchenko
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tamron 100-400 is coming


The development of a Tamron 100-400mm f/4.5-6.3 lens has been announced.

http://www.tamron.co.jp/news/press_release/20170915.html

Remember that last year a patent was spotted (http://www.canonrumors.com/patent-tamron-100-400mm-f4-5-6-3-vc/) but it was written off as a byproduct of developing the 150-600. Now it seems Tamron wants to leave no stone unturned. The release is scheduled to happen until the end of 2017, and there's not much left of the year anyway.





Slightly frustrating is the fact that it is f/6.3 at the long end, though presumably it allows to keep the size (and notably the filter thread diameter) down. Also note that unlike the Sigma 100-400mm C, this is poised to house a tripod collar.



Sep 15, 2017 at 01:58 PM
cvrle59
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tamron 100-400 is coming


I'm glad I didn't buy Sigma, tripod collar is essential for any kind of video recording, and stills too...!
I hope, the price tag won't be higher than Sigma.



Sep 15, 2017 at 02:25 PM
AvianScott
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tamron 100-400 is coming


cvrle59 wrote:
I'm glad I didn't buy Sigma, tripod collar is essential for any kind of video recording, and stills too...!
I hope, the price tag won't be higher than Sigma.


I'm guessing they'll come in just under the Sigma price to try and woo customers since they're a little late to the 100-400 show.

According to the article, the tripod collar will be sold separately - but at least one will be available.




Sep 15, 2017 at 02:29 PM
cvrle59
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tamron 100-400 is coming


AvianScott wrote:
I'm guessing they'll come in just under the Sigma price to try and woo customers since they're a little late to the 100-400 show.

According to the article, the tripod collar will be sold separately - but at least one will be available.


I was thinking the same, and even as an option tripod collar is welcome.
There is one more thing, I prefer Tamron, because Zoom orientation as same as Nikon.




Sep 15, 2017 at 02:57 PM
CanadaMark
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tamron 100-400 is coming


I wish all the third parties would drop the F6.3 obsession on their big zooms. They definitely have the know-how to do F5.6 (like Canon and Nikon) which is already not that fast.


Sep 15, 2017 at 04:27 PM
cvrle59
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tamron 100-400 is coming


CanadaMark wrote:
I wish all the third parties would drop the F6.3 obsession on their big zooms. They definitely have the know-how to do F5.6 (like Canon and Nikon) which is already not that fast.


I can understand your point, but for a casual shooter like myself, those become too big, and heavy.




Sep 15, 2017 at 04:39 PM
tsangc
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tamron 100-400 is coming


I figure the 6.3 is a function of pricing and cost. Maybe to hit the target price they have to sacrifice something.

I noticed the tripod foot looks like it has an Arca mount bevel machined in. That's a nice touch if true.

ETA: I just realized the 150-600 G2 also has this. Never noticed it before.



Sep 15, 2017 at 04:40 PM
artificialyello
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tamron 100-400 is coming


The press release in English:

http://www.tamron.com/news/press_release/20170915.html

I wonder how moist resistance it is since I live in place that's moistier than most at times...

The price tag should come in under the list price of a used 100-400 Mark I to make it really interesting supposing that it is as good or better than the Mark 1.



Sep 15, 2017 at 04:46 PM
Snopchenko
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tamron 100-400 is coming


CanadaMark wrote:
I wish all the third parties would drop the F6.3 obsession on their big zooms. They definitely have the know-how to do F5.6 (like Canon and Nikon) which is already not that fast.

I'm pretty sure Sigma would follow with a f/4.5-5.6 "S" variant, else why did they call their current entry a "C" (= low end) lens. Maybe it's going to be a 80-400mm lens, who knows. It's not like they didn't have a xxx-400mm f/4.5-5.6 lens before - there were three of them, actually:
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/329-sigma-af-135-400mm-f45-56-apo-aspherical-rf-test-report--review
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/327-sigma-af-80-400mm-f45-56-ex-apo-os-test-report--review
http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/581-sigma120400f4556eosff



Sep 15, 2017 at 04:48 PM
mb126
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tamron 100-400 is coming


The f/6.3 at the long end is clearly because of size-- if you want f/5.6 you have to go to 77mm filter, in which case you are getting into the same size territory as the Canon.




Sep 15, 2017 at 04:51 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



CanadaMark
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tamron 100-400 is coming


Snopchenko wrote:
I'm pretty sure Sigma would follow with a f/4.5-5.6 "S" variant, else why did they call their current entry a "C" (= low end) lens. Maybe it's going to be a 80-400mm lens, who knows. It's not like they didn't have a xxx-400mm f/4.5-5.6 lens before - there were three of them, actually:
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/329-sigma-af-135-400mm-f45-56-apo-aspherical-rf-test-report--review
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/327-sigma-af-80-400mm-f45-56-ex-apo-os-test-report--review
http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/581-sigma120400f4556eosff


Maybe they will, but their 150-600 Sport is also F6.3 at anything beyond 320mm so I wouldn't hold my breath on a faster XX-400mm. We will see I guess, hopefully I am wrong.




Sep 15, 2017 at 05:18 PM
cvrle59
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tamron 100-400 is coming


CanadaMark wrote:
Maybe they will, but their 150-600 Sport is also F6.3 at anything beyond 320mm so I wouldn't hold my breath on a faster XX-400mm. We will see I guess, hopefully I am wrong.


I wanted to say a few times on this forum, and we went into some quoting of each other today, so I will use an opportunity.
Thank you for all the information and contribution you bring in here, I learn a lot from it!



Edited on Sep 15, 2017 at 05:34 PM · View previous versions



Sep 15, 2017 at 05:32 PM
CanadaMark
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tamron 100-400 is coming


cvrle59 wrote:
I wanted to say a few times on this forum, and we went into some quoting each other today, so I will use an opportunity.
Thank you for all the information you bring here, I learn a lot from it!



You are most welcome and I'm glad you find my contributions to the community useful.



Sep 15, 2017 at 05:33 PM
Snopchenko
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tamron 100-400 is coming


CanadaMark wrote:
Maybe they will, but their 150-600 Sport is also F6.3 at anything beyond 320mm so I wouldn't hold my breath on a faster XX-400mm. We will see I guess, hopefully I am wrong.


I don't see how the aperture spread in the S lens can limit what the other lenses may be capable of. It's not like having f/5.6 requires some kind of secret sauce, innit. On the other hand, the Tamron 150-600 was f/5.6 until about 427mm, so it was as fast or faster at comparable FLs compared to the Canon 100-400...

Me, I would be eager to get one of the Tamron or Sigma lenses someday. Especially if my Canon 70-200 falls to pieces eventually.



Sep 15, 2017 at 06:42 PM
AvianScott
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tamron 100-400 is coming


CanadaMark wrote:
I wish all the third parties would drop the F6.3 obsession on their big zooms. They definitely have the know-how to do F5.6 (like Canon and Nikon) which is already not that fast.


I think they're staying in the consumer realm with these f/6.3 offerings. The weight of the Tamron is almost 20 oz. less than the Canon and Nikon offerings. The smaller front element of an f/6.3 also means it's significantly cheaper to produce and can be in a consumers hand, brand new, for $1000 less than the Canon/Nikon offerings. The customers they're aiming for aren't going to care about 1/3 slower aperture, but they will care about having $1000 more in their pocket.



Sep 15, 2017 at 07:30 PM
technic
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tamron 100-400 is coming


mb126 wrote:
The f/6.3 at the long end is clearly because of size-- if you want f/5.6 you have to go to 77mm filter, in which case you are getting into the same size territory as the Canon.



Yes, and for some buyers compact size and low weight are a very important factor when choosing such a lens.

I currently have the Canon 100-400II, trying to sell it because of disappointing closeup quality and keeping an eye on the Sigma and Tamron alternatives. I find the Canon 100-400 pretty heavy when handholding for a long time, the much lighter Sigma sounds attractive (with just 1/3 stop light loss, probably some minor loss in IQ and definite loss in AF speed which isn't of much importance to me anyway). The weight loss of Tamron compared to Sigma seems very minor though.

Don't know yet what image quality the Sigma offers at maximum magnification, some posters on the forum have shown it is at least decent but have seen only a few downscaled examples. Maybe Tamron can beat Sigma on maximum magnification or image quality for closeups? The mentioned spec of 1.5 meter subject distance and 0.28x mag is very close to Sigma (0.26x at 1.6m). I hope they don't try to beat Sigma just on price ;-(



Sep 15, 2017 at 07:41 PM
CanadaMark
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tamron 100-400 is coming


Snopchenko wrote:
I don't see how the aperture spread in the S lens can limit what the other lenses may be capable of. It's not like having f/5.6 requires some kind of secret sauce, innit.


That's right and I was not implying otherwise - only that the third parties have a tendency to favor F6.3 for various reason whether it be cost or size, even on their higher end models (like the 150-600S). The other reason I don't like F6.3 is if you use even the weakest TC you are past the F8 AF limits most cameras have.




Sep 15, 2017 at 08:18 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tamron 100-400 is coming


Filter size?
EBH



Sep 15, 2017 at 08:29 PM
Snopchenko
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tamron 100-400 is coming


CanadaMark wrote:
That's right and I was not implying otherwise - only that the third parties have a tendency to favor F6.3 for various reason whether it be cost or size, even on their higher end models (like the 150-600S). The other reason I don't like F6.3 is if you use even the weakest TC you are past the F8 AF limits most cameras have.


On a 600mm lens, this is understandable - as it is, you're looking at 95mm filter threads at the very least, or even 105mm. If a 150-600mm f/5.6 lens were to be made, it would've had an even larger front elements, sending the price skyward. It's less clear with the 100-400 class lenses - the Sigma has 67mm threads, the Tamron is presumably the same, but it's not like 77mm is rare or obscenely huge. Sigma has had lenses that went to 400mm at f/5.6, though none were too enticing (per the Photozone.de reviews).

EB-1 wrote:
Filter size?
EBH

I'd wager 67mm.



Sep 15, 2017 at 08:36 PM
Ernie Aubert
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Tamron 100-400 is coming


technic wrote:
...
I currently have the Canon 100-400II, trying to sell it because of disappointing closeup quality... ;-(


So I'm not the only one who's noticed that? And it's not just my copy? I'm glad to know that. It is somewhat disappointing...



Sep 15, 2017 at 09:30 PM
1
       2       3       4       end






FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       4       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password