Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Reliable trigger/receiver system?

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Reliable trigger/receiver system?

Up until recently I've been happy with the phottix strato II manual system. They were reliable and consistent. However, today alone I had two simply stop transmitting to the attached flash even though they show triggering when the test button is pushed. I tried with different flashes and the triggers just didn't do anything except blink their lights.

Before this, I've been having a few sporadic issues with transmission failures, but I couldn't identify the cause and they were also in the last 6 months.

Is there another system I might consider?

Sep 15, 2017 at 03:05 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Reliable trigger/receiver system?

form wrote:
Up until recently I've been happy with the phottix strato II manual system. They were reliable and consistent. However, today alone I had two simply stop transmitting to the attached flash even though they show triggering when the test button is pushed. I tried with different flashes and the triggers just didn't do anything except blink their lights.

Before this, I've been having a few sporadic issues with transmission failures, but I couldn't identify the cause and they were also in the last 6 months.

Are you sure it's not a time out issue? I consciously made sure to half-press my shutter button regularly at receptions to ensure they stayed connected for hours on end. The only time I had what you described happen was if I sat the cam down, or didn't shoot, for an extended period of time. Even the Phottix will time out. Additionally, check possible flash settings in this area. I believe mine had a special setting for this as well.

Edited on Sep 15, 2017 at 04:49 PM · View previous versions

Sep 15, 2017 at 04:25 AM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Reliable trigger/receiver system?

Yes, Godox.

Sep 15, 2017 at 06:09 AM
gnjphotography
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Reliable trigger/receiver system?

The Godox or Flashpoint (Adorama) system is the most versatile system out there at the moment. The Xplor 600 or AD600 is a mono-light with TTL or non-TTL, HSS and is compatible with all current DSLR systems. They have multiple lithium flashes and those that use AA batteries. They are also controlled by the same trigger as the mono-lights. The new evolv 200 or AD200 is a lithium battery barebulb or fresnel head unit that is the size of a speedlight, 4 times as powerful and no battery pack. Though it is a cheap korean brand, they are the most innovative company out there right now.

If you want high end, seems that elinchrom is getting their hands into everything as well. They joined with rotolight, light & motion, and phottix, making them usable with their triggering system.

So seeing you did not care for phottix, the Flashpoint, Cheetahstand, or Godox may be your best bet.

-Greg

Sep 15, 2017 at 06:21 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Reliable trigger/receiver system?

I still say it's a simple custom function fix, or ensuring you transmit regularly. No sense in spending a shit ton of money, if it's an easy fix. Worth exploring.

Sep 15, 2017 at 06:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Reliable trigger/receiver system?

form wrote:

Regarding this part, I only had issues (extremely rare) if I was dealing with low metal-beamed ceilings. Never in any other situation. Just that, for some reason. Always fixed by just moving the stand a few feet.

Sep 15, 2017 at 04:50 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Reliable trigger/receiver system?

The recent issue is not a transmission issue, the two strato II receivers receive fine and have power, they are just not discharging the flash. I've tried directly through the hot shoe and also through the 3.5mm jack and it doesn't fire the flash. I took the main board out of a previously broken receiver (the body separates into two pieces) and put it in a recently deceased receiver and that one functions fine again. Something on the main board has failed.

The flashpoint ones would offer more versatility in channels/etc. but they would also require more button pushing and look bulkier. Definitely less expensive than phottix though.

Anyone have any spare strato II receivers they're thinking about letting go? I'll even take the ones that are broken if it's just the exterior that's broken (falls apart, the delicate screw points snap inside).

Edited on Sep 15, 2017 at 08:31 PM · View previous versions

Sep 15, 2017 at 08:24 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Reliable trigger/receiver system?

Sorry, sold all mine already.

Sep 15, 2017 at 08:31 PM
teeth

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Reliable trigger/receiver system?

I've got a bunch of Canon Strato II's (3 receivers and one tx/rx set) I was going to list in the near future. Fire me a PM if you're interested in any of it.

I was very happy with their reliability before I switched to Godox so it's surprising to hear your boards are failing. But then again I'm a 2-5 wedding/year shooter so I haven't taxed the system. Still, for the price it's not too horrible to replace compared to other offerings.

Sep 15, 2017 at 08:45 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Reliable trigger/receiver system?

I found the Stratos II's to be priced and built to be disposable — not that it's a bad thing. They're great little sandwich triggers but when they fail, at 40USD you just grab another from your bag and move on.

I used to get about 50 weddings out of the transmitter before the push/pull tension of living between the camera body and 600 flash would fatigue the assembly.

Great for the price, though.

Sep 15, 2017 at 09:04 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password