Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Going to disney world, think it's worth it to take my good gear?

agelessphotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Going to disney world, think it's worth it to take my good gear?

Flying, wondering how much of a hassle it is at the airport, and if it's worth taking it. I have a D600, D750 - 50 1.8G, 105 1.4E and a 70-200... Thinking if I do take something the D600 will be fine for Disney,,, just not sure which lens. I only want to carry one lens with me....

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:42 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Going to disney world, think it's worth it to take my good gear?

Out of those choices the D600 and 50mm are the best bet.

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:55 PM
agelessphotog
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Going to disney world, think it's worth it to take my good gear?

Paul Mo wrote:
Out of those choices the D600 and 50mm are the best bet.

What I'm thinking....

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:10 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Going to disney world, think it's worth it to take my good gear?

I agree with the 50mm, but I'd rather have a 24-70.

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:40 PM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Going to disney world, think it's worth it to take my good gear?

The 50 would be my pick too. However, it really depends on what you're doing at Disney. You may wish you had a longer lens at Animal Kingdom. I went earlier this year with with my SL1 and 17-50. I also took my 170-500 for Animal Kingdom. When I go back next time I'm going to take a GoPro and my cell phone. I will probably take the SL1 again but only for specific uses.

Sep 15, 2017 at 06:02 AM
mitchel674
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Going to disney world, think it's worth it to take my good gear?

Living in Florida, I've been to WDW numerous times. My go to kit has evolved over the years and I've settled on a full frame body (D700 or D800e) with my 24-120mm, f4 as my walkaround lens. The range is perfect and the VR comes in handy in a pinch. I then throw in a small, fast prime (58mm, f1.4 or 50mm, f1.4).

You could also make a strong argument for leaving all gear at home and just enjoying yourself with the camera on your phone.

Sep 15, 2017 at 08:23 AM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Going to disney world, think it's worth it to take my good gear?

mitchel674 wrote:
You could also make a strong argument for leaving all gear at home and just enjoying yourself with the camera on your phone.

This is what I'd recommend. Get the photo package and get a zillion photos from all the photogs around the properties. At Animal Kingdom it would be nice to have a long lens and a decent body but the rest of the time it's kind of a hassle. I've done it with and without a camera, I preferred without.

Sep 15, 2017 at 08:29 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Going to disney world, think it's worth it to take my good gear?

I would take a FF bodies and a 35mm lens. Here is my travel kist and what i use to shoot almost all of my personal work.

Sep 15, 2017 at 01:36 PM
InSanE
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Going to disney world, think it's worth it to take my good gear?

just leave the camera at home and enjoy

Sep 15, 2017 at 03:29 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Going to disney world, think it's worth it to take my good gear?

InSanE wrote:
just leave the camera at home and enjoy

+1

Sep 15, 2017 at 04:32 PM
kp_duffy

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Going to disney world, think it's worth it to take my good gear?

Just went this past November. Left the 5dmk3 at home and just took my m43 basic kit (Pana Gx8, 12-60mm and 20mm). Good compromise between gear for a descent image but nothing too big to lug around. Didn't really find myself wanting more and never felt bogged down by the kit like I have in the past with family trips where i brought the large kit.

The photo pass pics - we got them and while they were good b/c I was actually in pics and I would recommend getting it but to be honest, the quality was not that great. Think P mode, direct flash, push the shutter, next. Some were descent but many were nothing special.

Sep 15, 2017 at 04:51 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Going to disney world, think it's worth it to take my good gear?

Either your phone or a good P/S.

You will enjoy yourself and capture many more moments, trust me

greg

Sep 16, 2017 at 01:29 AM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Going to disney world, think it's worth it to take my good gear?

My mother-in-law just sprung for a trip to Disney for my daughter's 5th birthday and here are my thoughts...

The photo pass... It's worth it. You can likely take better pics on your own. I certainly did. But it's still worth it.

Bringing a camera along... Bring something small that won't inhibit you. One of the major advantages of FF cameras is the ability to isolate your subject when using large apertures. At Disney, you won't want to do that as context is important for those images. So shooting a fast lens wide open isn't going to give you a memorable image. The other advantage is detail. If it's pretty unlikely that you're going to be printing anything larger than an 8x10 from this trip, don't worry so much about the detail in the image. The content will be MUCH more important and you'll likely be able to focus on the content much easier if you're carrying a small camera.

I say all that having brought my 5D Mark IV, 35mm f/1.4L II, 24-105 f/3.5-5.6, and 600EX II-RT flash with me and I used the 24-105 for literally all but one image and I shot well over half the images at f/5.6 - f/11. The one image I took with the 35L II was indeed shot at f/1.4. My 2 year old son had chocolate all over his face after eating ice cream and I wanted to blur everything else out and focus on that.

So, if you don't have one already, I'd suggest picking up a 1" sensor compact camera. The buy/sell forum here is a good place to land a good deal on a great condition camera at a discounted (versus new) price. There's also eBay, greentoe.com, and Best Buy does a lot of open box stuff (my friend just snagged a Sony RX100 V for $700 which is insane - normally they're $800). I would guess that you'd be a LOT happier with something like that than a D600 + 50mm f/1.8.

With something like the RX100 V you get a 24-70 equivalent focal length, it's stabilized which your 50mm doesn't offer and that will come in handy in certain places indoors, the aperture range is f/1.8-2.8 (FF equivalent of 4.86-7.56 which would have been JUST FINE with me), full manual controls and an EVF so you can see your exposure before taking a picture so your family doesn't have to wait on you to dial everything in and retake several images to make sure you've got it right, a tilting LCD, and it's SMALL. Grab an extra battery or two and you're good to go. Oh... 4k video with AF too! We're actually heading to Busch Gardens in the morning and I kinda just sold myself on buying one. Unfortunately, it won't be here in time! lol

About the only place this setup would be deficient will be meeting characters indoors. I used my external flash for every image except the images of Ariel because I loved the atmosphere in there like it was. I did get better pictures than the photographers in most cases but I wasn't in a single one of them and I do honestly regret that. So if I had it to do over again, and I don't, I'd forget about taking pictures of my kids/wife with the characters and I'd jump in with them. :-(

Sep 16, 2017 at 02:38 AM
Speedliner

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Going to disney world, think it's worth it to take my good gear?

Depends on what types of pictures you want to take. Most of WDW is close range and you'll be shooting fairly wide most of the time. You often want the context of the surroundings. You will be walking a lot. A lot. You may get wet from snap storms, misters, rides.

You cell phone camera will be adequate to capture the trip. A P&S with zoom will capture all of it. If you have some specific goals in mind like wildlife at animal Kingdom or birds on the lakes, fireworks, an artistic pic of your kids with a blurry castle backdrop, macro (lots of flowers, lizards, insects), night photos ( WDW is great at night ), a pic of the kids coming down in the log flume...,then bring the kit that you need for those pictures you have in mind. There is opportunity to benefit from clean high ISO, fast FPS and shutter speeds, long focal lengths. Other than that, use your phone or a small P&S.

Bring everything if you like, going macro shooting while the kids are in an hour-long line is a good way to kill time for instance, walking to a lake while the rest of the family is showering..., but it depends on what you want to do. I go almost every year and I wouldn't bring a dslr for standard FL shots. I would have it with me but only take it on occasion for specific purposes.

You'll also be taking a lot of quick videos and you'll probably want to post to social media often.

Examples: cell phone pic...

Sep 16, 2017 at 08:37 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Going to disney world, think it's worth it to take my good gear?

i lived in Orlando for awhile and my reaction is:
1) There is nothing particularly exciting at WDW except your family shots
2) There is great stuff around Orlando
- Cape Canaveral - alligators near the ocean
- Islands near the ocean - bird pictures
- take a air boat ride and take your alligator camera/lens
- rent a kayak and paddle the bayou and look for alligators and birds.

Unless I was looking for 2, in which case I would bring my longest lens, I would bring a really light point and shoot or iPhone.

Sep 17, 2017 at 09:27 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.