New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Sun Valley, Idaho

Butchdog
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sun Valley, Idaho

We are going to Sun Valley in a few weeks and wonder if anyone has any advice on 'don't miss' spots.
Any information is appreciated. Thanks!

Sep 14, 2017 at 05:45 PM
Darren K
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sun Valley, Idaho

Good choice! That whole region is unbelievably awesome. Definitely drive around and see what there is to see. While the Sawtooths are sweet, the Lost Rivers are where it's at for me, and was love at first sight when I first traveled through the area in '05. I would love to move to Challis or Mackay if I didn't have a family or job where I'm at. All kinds of fun, scenic back roads.

How long will you have, and will you have a 4WD vehicle? Even if you don't, a great day trip would be driving through Copper Basin to the east. Of course, other spots like Stanley or Redfish lakes further north are a given.

Sep 14, 2017 at 07:29 PM
Butchdog
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sun Valley, Idaho

Thank you for the response. We will be there for 5 days. Don't think we will have 4 wheel drive but it's possible. Flying to Boise and driving to Sun Valley. Really excited about this trip.

Sep 15, 2017 at 06:25 AM
Aaron Cowan
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sun Valley, Idaho

I would head north on HWY 75 to Galena Summit. There are some nice scenes along the way and then a great view of the Sawtooth mountains stretching northward. I'd go in the morning if possible since the view is looking WNW. Pettit and Alturas Lakes are nice, quick stops too. You'll descend the summit/pass at Galena and continue north to Stanley.

Heading east out of Sun Valley along Trail Creek Summit is also a nice, picturesque drive. It is a gravel road, but well-traveled so any vehicle should be fine.

I've been into Copper Basin before but it was a few years ago. I don't remember the "main" road being that rough, but it gets you deeper into the Pioneer Mts for nice scenery.

Sep 19, 2017 at 01:49 PM
Butchdog
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sun Valley, Idaho

That is great information. Thank you very much!

Sep 20, 2017 at 06:07 AM
fsphoto

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sun Valley, Idaho

Go up to Stanley, it's a nice drive and check out the Sawtooth Mountains and
Redfish Lake

https://www.theoutbound.com/idaho/photography/photograph-the-sawtooth-mountains

Sep 26, 2017 at 07:02 PM
Butchdog
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sun Valley, Idaho

That is fantastic! Thank you for the link!

Sep 27, 2017 at 06:16 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.