Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       end
  

More DO to come next year??
  
 
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · More DO to come next year??


technic wrote:
I would not be surprised with a non-L 5.6/200-600 DO for the enthusiast market (without the superb mechanical quality of L tele primes and some compromise in optical performance and maybe AF speed). Canon could probably make a 200-600 DO that is about the size and weight of the Nikon 200-500, while it would be very hard to beat that 200-500 with conventional design, even more so with several pretty good alternatives on the market (= not much market left by now, most nature/wildlife sports shooters who need such lenses have already purchased one).


200-600/5.6 still needs a front element the size of a 300/2.8 so it won't be as small as the Nikon 200-500. Not sure how light they could make it with DO elements.

I am not holding out any hope for the 200-600....just does not make sense. The lens would have to be fairly big. The patent that was posted last year showed a fixed length lens making it huge and expensive. Basically it is a 200-400/4 lens which we already have. Canon would either have to bring the lens back to 500 like the Nikon or cheat on the actual aperture like the Tamron/Sigmas.

I think they will do a 300/4DO just like Nikons and the 600DO already shown in prototype. I could also see them doing a 500/4DO at the same time just like they developed the 500II and 600II together.

A 500/5.6 DO would be a very cool lens....that is actually what I'd love to see.



Sep 15, 2017 at 09:42 PM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · More DO to come next year??


An 800mm DO would not be a bigger seller than the 800mm was, for the same obvious reasons, as well as the much higher cost deterrent. I doubt that Canon was impressed with their low sales of the 800, and owners of that lens are even less impressed with its heavy depreciation.


Sep 16, 2017 at 12:56 AM
Flowernut
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · More DO to come next year??


I traded my 800 for a 600. It just makes more sense as it gives me 600, 840, and 1200. The 800 just gives me 800 and 1120. The new 600 at 840 was just as sharp for me as the 800 had been. I guess you can stack multipliers even more but I feel I'm stretching it at f8. The old 800 fd made a lot of sense because the 600 fd lens was not very good.

I'd like to see a 150-600 f5.6. I had the old FD lens and it was great. Went to .25 life size. Yes it was a monster but wonderful at sanibel, florida, yellowstone etc.....




Sep 16, 2017 at 02:25 AM
technic
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · More DO to come next year??


arbitrage wrote:
200-600/5.6 still needs a front element the size of a 300/2.8 so it won't be as small as the Nikon 200-500. Not sure how light they could make it with DO elements.

I am not holding out any hope for the 200-600....just does not make sense. The lens would have to be fairly big. The patent that was posted last year showed a fixed length lens making it huge and expensive. Basically it is a 200-400/4 lens which we already have. Canon would either have to bring the lens back to 500 like the Nikon or cheat on the actual aperture
...Show more

Yes the front diameter would need to be bigger than on the Nikon, but if the front element can be significantly lighter and length is reduced by 25% or so, it would handle more like the Nikon 200-500. This would require a different optical configuration for the DO element than in current Canon DO lenses, possible but not likely. My impression is that current DO weight savings in these bright tele lenses is mostly limited by structural limitations, the lens element(s) they need to support/seal the DO element (against vibration, fluctuations in environmental conditions etc.). If they get around this savings could be much bigger.

I also think a 4/300DO is more likely if only because this is one of few examples where Nikon holds the edge in the lens line. But if Canon considers DO too expensive or 'premium' for a more modest 4/300 lens, then another very expensive lens like a 4/500 DO is more likely. I might be interested in a 5.6/400 DO or 5.6/500 DO if it is really light and compact, has good magnification like 0.25x (one of the specs that is really lacking in the 400DO), good IS and great image quality wide open. But I guess for Canon there is currently more money in very bright ultra-expensive lenses ;-(



Sep 16, 2017 at 12:19 PM
burningheart
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · More DO to come next year??


PetKal wrote:
Anders, you are just kidding, aren't you ?

Gearheads are not much different than crack addicts.
However, for one, I am on the path of recovery. My new life as a photographer is now guided by a change in the key objective ("accomplish more with less"), as well as my alias change ("Baitmaster" instead of "Supertelephotomaster").


You must be baiting me "Baitmaster". I can not remember when I bought my last new Canon lens. Although if you count the Velvet 56 I bought with an EOS mount then I can say 1 lens this year. I bought it for IR shooting.

Though "Baitmaster" I do see you bating me on the T+S's as they all look oh so tempting. Then again that would maybe start the desire for an 800DO or 600DO but I can resist a 200-600 as I am holding out for the continuation of my beloved 150-600 FD in an EF mount.

Seriously my addiction stopped a while back, I just looked it up it's been 2 years since my last "REAL" Canon lens purchase that being the 100-400 MKII for a trip back in June 2015.

Less is better. Though I know I will get a fix soon with the 135 T+S if and when I get around to asking on CPS pricing.

If I go all t+s shooting that would really mean less is better.

If only the would make the 800DO as a T+S



Sep 16, 2017 at 03:04 PM
PetKal
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · More DO to come next year??


burningheart wrote:
Seriously my addiction stopped a while back, I just looked it up it's been 2 years since my last "REAL" Canon lens purchase that being the 100-400 MKII for a trip back in June 2015.

Less is better.


Robert, I am happy to see that you snapped out of your gear addiction a while back.
You seem to be doing very well now, my friend.
Indeed, doing more with less is a real challenge.



Sep 16, 2017 at 04:19 PM
burningheart
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · More DO to come next year??


PetKal wrote:
Robert, I am happy to see that you snapped out of your gear addiction a while back.
You seem to be doing very well now, my friend.
Indeed, doing more with less is a real challenge.


The nice thing is it is fun getting excited with everyone else with new announcements but after a few days the want,need and desire of most new gears goes away and I can just admire them without the urge to open the pocketbook and obtain. (Except the 135 T+S the desire remains). I have uses for it and the 50 T+S in mind but I will just sit back and let time pass and see if the need passes too.



Sep 16, 2017 at 05:23 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Liquidstone
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · More DO to come next year??


arbitrage wrote:
Yeah its always fast moving with you, Peter and myself commenting. But I'm not sure if us three constitutes a sign of wide interest!!



Granted.

But if you and Pareng Pete get an early copy of the 600/800 DO and start to post your outstanding shots in the obligatory image thread, I'm sure many will jump into the DO bandwagon. Ergo, there is a potential wide interest.




Sep 16, 2017 at 11:33 PM
gkinard1952
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · More DO to come next year??


DO a good job on the DO's Canon. If as good as the 400DO. I may pick one up. Right now I am more excited about the upcoming 7dlll. Can't wait.


Sep 19, 2017 at 12:36 PM
D.Hussey
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · More DO to come next year??


arbitrage wrote:
Yeah its always fast moving with you, Peter and myself commenting. But I'm not sure if us three constitutes a sign of wide interest!!

As per CR we are looking at announcement Aug '18....that tells me release in 2019. Sounds like exactly what I have predicted many times....hopefully CR isn't just reading my posts and making stories off of that


I think the interest is very wide ..... just that those with pockets deep enough for such offerings when they do come is a tad more narrow



Sep 20, 2017 at 08:35 AM
technic
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · More DO to come next year??


D.Hussey wrote:
I think the interest is very wide ..... just that those with pockets deep enough for such offerings when they do come is a tad more narrow


Maybe they have to make some DO lenses with less spectacular specs - but still very light and compact compared to non-DO - at a lower price level? That would certainly attract a larger audience, and possibly make more money for Canon as well (of course, they still want customers who have the money to spend a fortune on the top DO lenses ...). Not everyone needs the largest aperture that is physically possible, also considering the improvements in high ISO sensor performance and external noise processing.



Sep 20, 2017 at 08:56 AM
D.Hussey
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · More DO to come next year??


technic wrote:
Maybe they have to make some DO lenses with less spectacular specs - but still very light and compact compared to non-DO - at a lower price level? That would certainly attract a larger audience, and possibly make more money for Canon as well (of course, they still want customers who have the money to spend a fortune on the top DO lenses ...). Not everyone needs the largest aperture that is physically possible, also considering the improvements in high ISO sensor performance and external noise processing.


Perhaps the day is coming when DO is the default technology in use with a resulting decrease in production costs. To be honest, I don't think I would have much interest in low cost options that come with reduced performance, even if they came with low weight and compactness. But I think you make a valid point about improving sensor performance and processing software making f2.8 and f4 superteles not as necessary as they were previously (aside form DOF considerations)



Sep 21, 2017 at 04:32 AM
JimmyJames
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · More DO to come next year??


PetKal wrote:
Will it be a new optical mount series of lenses with electrical contacts for power only ? Naturally, that would necessitate new mount cameras as well, perhaps mirrorless, rendering the entire EOS line obsolete by a stroke of a pen. Goodbye EOS, welcome to the new HELIOS system.


Stop that talk right now! I have way too much EOS gear for that to happen.




Sep 21, 2017 at 11:46 AM
Photonadave
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · More DO to come next year??


PetKal wrote:
Will it be a new optical mount series of lenses with electrical contacts for power only ? Naturally, that would necessitate new mount cameras as well, perhaps mirrorless, rendering the entire EOS line obsolete by a stroke of a pen. Goodbye EOS, welcome to the new HELIOS system.


Don’t need stinking mechanical power contacts either! Why there’s the common inductive or capacitive coupling or for you sci-fi nuts there’s laser beams & microwaves or for the environmentalist there’s always the tried & true solar panels!



Sep 21, 2017 at 12:39 PM
1       2      
3
       end






FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password