Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              24      
       end

The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

freaklikeme
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.25 #1 · p.25 #1 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

DavidBM wrote:
I think the Kolari mod would make it extreme the other way, but I'm not sure. And the FC is mild enough - and, I think, sufficiently confined to the edges, that it would be hard to fix with a spherical profile PCX lens.

But don't make too much of it! It's exactly as bad as the crops show, at 100% and 42MP. And midfield focussing (like on the Loxia 21) pretty much fixes it for practical purposes. Which isn't true of lenses for the M stack that need PCX lens.

Oh, I'm not making too much of it. I'm just curious. Probably curious enough to add it to my rental list when LR gets their stock if sebboh doesn't post away that curiosity first.

Oct 11, 2017 at 05:33 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.25 #2 · p.25 #2 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

sebboh wrote:
doesn't the field curvature go the opposite way of the m-mount lenses?

how are you liking the MD 50/1.2?

it certainly seems less hazy on focus than most classic f/1.2 lenses, that doesn't necessarily translate into greater resolving power though. for some lenses there can be very high resolution through the haze while others have neither sharpness nor contrast. unfortunately, it also has less haze in the oof region by the looks of it, which translates into a higher contrast bokeh. the more even correction of SA should make bokeh smoother than most f/1.2 lenses though...

The bokeh is pretty smooth, and when I'm making actual images rather than reviewing, I'm happy to slightly reduce contrast in post in the bokeh when needed. You can losslessly reduce contrast, but can't losslessly increase it.

Oct 11, 2017 at 05:46 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.25 #3 · p.25 #3 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

DavidBM wrote:
As for comparison with classic 1.2/50s: I haven't used them all, my own preference is for the OM50 (not 55) but I've tried a few others - including the EF Canon. I hate saying stuff without proof; but it seems to me that this little lens has better, less hazy performance at wide apertures, more contrast, and bokeh is up the with the best of them. (modulo situations in which you get onion rings). But the ashperes that cause the onion rings buy you a lot of goodness in situations where there aren't any onion rings!

Yeah, there's no point in speculating without hope of answering the question, and I certainly won't be answering it unless we find a fast normal addict willing to test for us. I'm not sure either of my picks could match it in center resolution, but they are very even tempered lenses across the frame stopped down a bit.

Oct 11, 2017 at 05:49 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.25 #4 · p.25 #4 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

DavidBM wrote:
The bokeh is pretty smooth, and when I'm making actual images rather than reviewing, I'm happy to slightly reduce contrast in post in the bokeh when needed. You can losslessly reduce contrast, but can't losslessly increase it.

i'm generally not a fan of fiddling with contrast locally or trying to fix bokeh in post, just tends to do more harm than good imo.

freaklikeme wrote:
Oh, I'm not making too much of it. I'm just curious. Probably curious enough to add it to my rental list when LR gets their stock if sebboh doesn't post away that curiosity first.

hey, i'm excited about the lens.

Oct 11, 2017 at 05:57 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.25 #5 · p.25 #5 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

'the onion rings buy you a lot of goodness in situations' - never a truer word, and it's the conclusion the design community has reached as well, if used in moderation. It looks like a lens that works better than it tests.

Oct 11, 2017 at 05:59 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.25 #6 · p.25 #6 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

sebboh wrote:
how are you liking the MD 50/1.2?

I liked it so much, I sold it. If I were picking between it and the FD 50L, the Nikon AIS 50/1.2, and the Oly 50/1.2, I would pick the Minolta. Very nice draw wide open, decent bokeh, best out-of-camera color, decently corrected, and, like I said, very even-tempered stopped down.

Compared to the 58/1.2 and its performance with high-key monochromes, its beautiful landscape draw at wide apertures, and portrait perfection, they all became also-rans. I have a little more hope for 7artisans 50/1.1 because it's an M-mount, which will make it an easy choice to take with an all M-mount kit, but I'm done trying to replace the Rokkor. Like with the Mandler 35 and 90, I don't mind using it for everything, and when I feel like it's right for a shot, there is no substitute.

Oct 11, 2017 at 06:04 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.25 #7 · p.25 #7 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

sebboh wrote:
hey, i'm excited about the lens.

I know. That wasn't intended as a knock against you, or anyone interested in the lens. My lack of interest in ownership has much more to with my contentment with my 35mm combo than anything I've seen in the tests. It's a great focal length, speed, and looks to be a strong performer in many ways. I'm just happy your interest and ownership of a Kolari modded camera will save me a rental to satisfy my stupid curiosity.

Oct 11, 2017 at 06:13 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.25 #8 · p.25 #8 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

freaklikeme wrote:
I liked it so much, I sold it. If I were picking between it and the FD 50L, the Nikon AIS 50/1.2, and the Oly 50/1.2, I would pick the Minolta. Very nice draw wide open, decent bokeh, best out-of-camera color, decently corrected, and, like I said, very even-tempered stopped down.

Compared to the 58/1.2 and its performance with high-key monochromes, its beautiful landscape draw at wide apertures, and portrait perfection, they all became also-rans. I have a little more hope for 7artisans 50/1.1 because it's an M-mount, which will make it an easy choice to take with an all
...Show more

yeah, i keep contemplate buying an MD again as i quite like it's look wide open, but i already have a few other f/1.2 lenses laying around that hardly ever see any use compared to the 58/1.2...

freaklikeme wrote:
I know. That wasn't intended as a knock against you, or anyone interested in the lens. My lack of interest in ownership has much more to with my contentment with my 35mm combo than anything I've seen in the tests. It's a great focal length, speed, and looks to be a strong performer in many ways. I'm just happy your interest and ownership of a Kolari modded camera will save me a rental to satisfy my stupid curiosity.

i'll keep you updated when i try it. might be a little while though, i'm still figuring out the cv 50/1.5. might have to wait for the second time Guy buys it and sells it to buy it off him.

Oct 11, 2017 at 04:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.25 #9 · p.25 #9 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

They CV 50 1.5 I really liked but the mid frame falloff killed me as i shot some engagement shots and almost blew it with that lens as a couple shots even at like F4 the mid frame went to soft, but I did cover myself but it threw me for a loop when processing it all out. It does have a really nice look to it

Actually that would be a interesting test the CV 50 1.5 and this 40 1.2 although slower it seems to have the same type of look.

Edited on Oct 11, 2017 at 06:11 PM · View previous versions

Oct 11, 2017 at 04:53 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.25 #10 · p.25 #10 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

sebboh wrote:
yeah, i keep contemplate buying an MD again as i quite like it's look wide open, but i already have a few other f/1.2 lenses laying around that hardly ever see any use compared to the 58/1.2...

i'll keep you updated when i try it. might be a little while though, i'm still figuring out the cv 50/1.5. might have to wait for the second time Guy buys it and sells it to buy it off him.

Lens designers would have a hard time developing a lens for your taste!
Do you like shooting with any modern lens?

Oct 11, 2017 at 05:00 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.25 #11 · p.25 #11 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

Fred Miranda wrote:
Lens designers would have a hard time developing a lens for your taste!
Do you like shooting with any modern lens?

the rx1 lens is fantastic (i don't enjoy the ergonomics though). the 50 lux asph, 28 cron, and cv 125/2.5 APO really impressed me when i shot with them. the minolta 85/1.4 limited and ZE 35/1.4 are relatively modern lens that i really like the look of. i like the zm 35/1.4, zm 50/1.5 sonnar, cv 35/1.7, and cv 50/1.5, but they all have things that annoy me about their look.

Oct 11, 2017 at 06:07 PM
lightskyland
• •
p.25 #12 · p.25 #12 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

At the end of last weekend on the blue ridge parkway, I came back from the mountains with a bunch of images from the Loxia [email protected]/8 and they are sharp and contrasty from center to all 4 corners, with perfect sunstars.

I really have nothing to complain with that lens at landscape apertures.

I am tempted to try the 40/1.2 at some point, for closeup nature bokeh images, but I definitely don't need to be in any enormous rush to replace the Loxia.

My 2 cents.

Oct 11, 2017 at 06:38 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.25 #13 · p.25 #13 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

lightskyland wrote:
At the end of last weekend on the blue ridge parkway, I came back from the mountains with a bunch of images from the Loxia [email protected]/8 and they are sharp and contrasty from center to all 4 corners, with perfect sunstars.

I really have nothing to complain with that lens at landscape apertures.

I am tempted to try the 40/1.2 at some point, for closeup nature bokeh images, but I definitely don't need to be in any enormous rush to replace the Loxia.

My 2 cents.

How were the fall colors? I am headed to NC next week and hope I don't miss it....

Oct 11, 2017 at 07:27 PM
lightskyland
• •
p.25 #14 · p.25 #14 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

Luvwine wrote:
How were the fall colors? I am headed to NC next week and hope I don't miss it....

Colors were very good at Graveyard Fields and the best I've ever seen up at Rough Ridge (on Grandfather Mountain).

Everywhere else was very early, but with a few signs of color starting to show at the lower elevations.

I think next week will be good along the 3000'-4000' areas of the parkway. Probably a couple weeks later for the valleys / waterfall areas.

Oct 11, 2017 at 08:17 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.25 #15 · p.25 #15 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

sebboh wrote:
the rx1 lens is fantastic (i don't enjoy the ergonomics though). the 50 lux asph, 28 cron, and cv 125/2.5 APO really impressed me when i shot with them. the minolta 85/1.4 limited and ZE 35/1.4 are relatively modern lens that i really like the look of. i like the zm 35/1.4, zm 50/1.5 sonnar, cv 35/1.7, and cv 50/1.5, but they all have things that annoy me about their look.

We are very much in-tune. The only lenses I haven't tried yet are the 50 Lux and CV 125 APO. The latter has been a consideration to me but I have a feeling Cosina will release a tele APO for the E-mount soon.

Oct 18, 2017 at 03:27 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password