Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              24       25       end

The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

DavidBM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

genji wrote:
That's what I'm looking forward to, here's hoping we're not disappointed.

I don't think you'll be disappointed, Jonathon. Look of the size of it! It can't be a modern redesign. It'll have lots of adorable bokeh wonk, but hopefully minus the field curvature of the M mount version used on Sony

Sep 16, 2017 at 12:19 PM
Makten
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

I really hope it's optimized for shooting wide open and doesn't have horrible bokeh at mid distance like the 35/1.2. Then I'll buy it for low light shooting, and use the Loxia 35 for daylight.

But I'm not holding my breath. Most Voigtländers seem best for closeups, which I don't care at all for. I loved the 40/1.4 though, but the midzone resolution dip was just too much. You could easily see it even in resized web images.

Sep 16, 2017 at 02:22 PM
dgpfotografia

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

Looks like it is already selling in Japan: http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/voigtlander-launches-new-40mm-f1-2-fe-lens-japan/

Sep 19, 2017 at 06:33 AM
dgpfotografia

p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

Web for the lens is up: http://www.cosina.co.jp/gallery/iida-40-1_2/index.html

Specs: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/voigtlander-40mm-f1-2-fe-lens-officially-announced-japan/

Sep 19, 2017 at 08:59 AM
Juha Kannisto
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

Seems it just got announced today, but exact release date is still not specified, "expected to start sales in October". Some online stores probably started taking pre-orders already. MRSP is 135000 JPY before tax and street price will then be 120000+ including tax. I guess it might start shipping a bit later than 10/5 since they normally announce the specific date some weeks in advance.

Update: 119K yen at Map Camera including tax and actual sales start is stated by them to be 10/5:
https://www.mapcamera.com/item/4530076233058

P.S. I got #1 pre-booking at Map Camera

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:48 AM
bjornthun
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

Juha Kannisto wrote:
Seems it just got announced today, but exact release date is still not specified, "expected to start sales in October". Some online stores probably started taking pre-orders already. MRSP is 135000 JPY before tax and street price will then be 120000+ including tax. I guess it might start shipping a bit later than 10/5 since they normally announce the specific date some weeks in advance.

Update: 119K yen at Map Camera including tax and actual sales start is stated by them to be 10/5:
https://www.mapcamera.com/item/4530076233058

P.S. I got #1 pre-booking at Map Camera

The schematic drawing of the lens shows two elements cloured blue, with some text in Japanese and lines pointing to both surfaces of those two lens elements. Are both of them double aspherics?

(I don't speak Japanese, so I made a guess based on the drawing. Two lines indicates to me that the text says something about the lens element surfaces.)

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:56 AM
bjornthun
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

Two double aspherics it is!
Google translate from Cosina's website:"A compact size yet full size 40 mm lens realizes the world's first * large aperture. Two double-sided aspherical lenses are adopted as an optical system optimized for image sensor of mirrorless camera made by Sony. It has a performance that you can use with confidence from opening the aperture, you can enjoy a smooth and large blur taste."

There is also a de-clickable aperture.

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:08 PM
Chris_88
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

bjornthun wrote:
The schematic drawing of the lens shows two elements cloured blue, with some text in Japanese and lines pointing to both surfaces of those two lens elements. Are both of them double aspherics?

(I don't speak Japanese, so I made a guess based on the drawing. Two lines indicates to me that the text says something about the lens element surfaces.)

It just says that these two are aspherical elements.

Ten-bladed aperture is nice and 420g and a magnification of 1:6.2 aren't bad either, but I have no use for a f1.2 lens and will stick to my Sony 35 1.4.

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:10 PM
bjornthun
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

Chris_88 wrote:
It just says that these two are aspherical elements.

Ten-bladed aperture is nice and 420g and a magnification of 1:6.2 aren't bad either, but I have no use for a f1.2 lens and will stick to my Sony 35 1.4.

Thanks!

In the 35-55 region I currently have the Zony 35/2.8 and Zony 55/1.8, which I'm very happy with. It would be cool to have one really fast lens, so we'll see.

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:28 PM
genji
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

The Japanese text, 非球面, is pronounced hikyuumen and means aspherical surface.

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

trogdon
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

The tech specs state the angle of view is 55 degrees, and some light web searching (which could be wrong) lead me to see that a standard 35mm is 54.6 degrees, so this lens seems a little wider than the specs suggest. Could make a good 35mm replacement

Sep 19, 2017 at 01:43 PM
Juha Kannisto
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

trogdon wrote:
The tech specs state the angle of view is 55 degrees, and some light web searching (which could be wrong) lead me to see that a standard 35mm is 54.6 degrees, so this lens seems a little wider than the specs suggest. Could make a good 35mm replacement

Other Voigtländer 35mm M-mount lenses seem to have 62-63 degree view, and 40/1.4 Nokton is 56 degrees and Heliar 40/2.8 is 57 degrees. Checked the specs from Cosina's site.

This site might have accurate data in the diagonal column:
http://www.jeffreysward.com/editorials/lenscov.htm

Sep 19, 2017 at 02:03 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

@trogdon I think you may be mixing up the horizontal and diagonal AOV values. A 35mm does often have a horizontal AOV of 55°, but the diagonal of a 35mm lens is is ~62-64°.

Sep 19, 2017 at 02:16 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

trogdon wrote:

I'm hoping it's actually more to the 35mm focal length more.

Funny my VC 35 is tighter than my FE 35mm 1.4 but I don't know which one is accurate or not to 35mm standard

Sep 19, 2017 at 02:20 PM
Juha Kannisto
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

Actually based on Cosina's numbers it seems to be slightly longer than Nokton 40/1.4 in M-mount and 40/2.8 Heliar. Like 41mm or so... I don't mind that personally as I like 40mm FL a lot for general shooting, more so than 35mm. I have a Minolta 40/2 M-Rokkor and CV 40/2.8 Heliar already in that FL currently. Used to have CV 40/2 Ultron in Minolta SLR mount, 40/2.8 Rollei Sonnar in M-mount and 43/1.9 SMC-Pentax-L too.

I'll be happy to use 40mm as my daily general use lens for walks around town.

Sep 19, 2017 at 02:36 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

Again here my thoughts go to frustration over Cosina/Voigtlander's failure to provide MTF graphs for their lenses. The 65/2 apo-lanthar is obviously terrific, but we did not know that until a fair amount of testing. Who knows how this 40mm will be until some good testing is done by early adopters.... I am on the fence about this lens. I am pretty happy with the Zeiss ZM 35/1.4 with the opto sigma front filter. It also works on TAP, which is a nice bonus. I suspect therefore I will wait and see whether this is a world beater or not....

Sep 19, 2017 at 03:11 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

Just not sure if it's going to be another 65 but if it's really close it maybe worth it. I start testing the VC 35 1.7 today so I want to see what road that takes me down. Just glad to see some options out there and hopefully more to come. I'm pretty set in stone on my Batis 135 and VC 65 so those two are safe from the buy and sell board. Lol

Sep 19, 2017 at 03:23 PM
trogdon
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

arduluth wrote:
@trogdon@ I think you may be mixing up the horizontal and diagonal AOV values. A 35mm does often have a horizontal AOV of 55°, but the diagonal of a 35mm lens is is ~62-64°.

Yep, my mistake. So not quite as wide as I was hoping. That's okay though, I suppose true 40's are much rarer

Sep 19, 2017 at 07:13 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

genji wrote:
The Japanese text, 非球面, is pronounced hikyuumen and means aspherical surface.

Yep; but the explanatory text on Cosinas own page (not just he specs and diagram by SAR)
http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/voigtlander/e-mount/e-40mm/index.html
do seem to make it clear that they are both double sided. The front element is one of them, a move usually restricted to more exotic focal lengths.

That's a relief (so long as it renders nicely) since I couldn't see how they were going to get good (even central) performance out of 8 elements otherwise at this speed and FL.

What I'm hoping for this lens is a nice compromise: quality modern style performance where it matters (out to midfield wide open, across the field by f5.6) and letting the corners go to hell at wide apertures to keep the size down. Then we have the 35 for the classic look.

MF helps .... this design has huge heavy elements that you couldn't build a fast AF system for - I think it costs elements for no extra optical quality to get effective light focusing groups in modern fast focusing AF lenses like the Zony 1.4/35 and 1.4/50

Sep 19, 2017 at 09:54 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · The Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 FE is coming!

DavidBM wrote:
Yep; but the explanatory text on Cosinas own page (not just he specs and diagram by SAR)
http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/voigtlander/e-mount/e-40mm/index.html
do seem to make it clear that they are both double sided. The front element is one of them, a move usually restricted to more exotic focal lengths.

That's a relief (so long as it renders nicely) since I couldn't see how they were going to get good (even central) performance out of 8 elements otherwise at this speed and FL.

What I'm hoping for this lens is a nice compromise: quality modern style performance where it matters (out to midfield wide open, across the
...Show more

Yep, I'd be happy with 2/3 of the frame extremely sharp wide open and the rest perfect by f/5.6. Not a bokeh junky myself, but I do like contrast and sharpness at the focus plane.

Sep 19, 2017 at 09:56 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password