Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Replace RX100 V with RX1R ii?

saxguy

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Replace RX100 V with RX1R ii?

I've been traveling with my RX10 iii and RX100 v and am beginning to think that perhaps I would be better served with the RX10 iii and the RX1R ii. Although the focus of the RX100v is great, I find that I pretty much reach for it when I want to shoot lower light and indoor shots where I'm not using much of a zoom. I was hoping an RX1R iii would be coming soon with image stabilization, but it seems that isn't the case. Most of the low light captures I see with the RX1Rii are exceptional even without IS. In addition, I am attending special event in January with more than a few celebrity chefs and want to be able to capture some really high quality shots of both the chefs and the food.

I will say, though, that video performance on the RX100v is very good, especially in low light. I know I would be giving that up but, truth be told, I don't use it often enogh to warrant it being a major factor in choosing to replace it.

I realize there is a big difference in price, but when I look at RX1 captures there's just something magical about them. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sep 14, 2017 at 05:00 PM
mreynolds767

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Replace RX100 V with RX1R ii?

I think the Rx1 / Rx1rii is a very niche camera with a limited market. I would be shocked if they continue to make new models of it. Not that I know anything about what Sony actually thinks though so am probably wrong.

The full frame sensor and great lens of the Rx1 are clearly many steps above the Rx100.
If you edit your photos you will notice just so much more ability/headroom in the files as well.
The 2 really cannot be compared, you will see a "magical" difference.

At 35mm IS is not critical in my opinion so would not be a reason for me not to buy it.

Sep 14, 2017 at 05:14 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Replace RX100 V with RX1R ii?

Saxguy - this is exactly what I've been thinking.

I have an RX1Rii and an RX100iii. Since I got the dual camera iPhone with 28 and 56 FF effective lenses I almost never carry my RX100iii. But I almost always travel with my RX1Rii for it's great low light performance and high IQ.

I've been thinking that the perfect travel set up would be an RX10 series camera for everything in good light plus the RX1Rii for low light and other shots where a 35 mm focal length would work.

I've never missed IBIS with my RX1Rii since the high ISO shots are so clean.

Personally, I would prefer an upgraded RX10ii with the effective 24-200 F2.8 lens over the RX10iii and iv, because for me 200 mm of reach is plenty for most situations and the RX10ii is considerably smaller than the RX10iii and iv with the lenses that go out to 600.

Sep 14, 2017 at 05:29 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Replace RX100 V with RX1R ii?

For the price of a RX1r MKII you can buy a lot of camera equipment. For the way I shoot I really want the 24-70mm zoom range. The RX100 MKIII-V fills this use in an always-with-me camera.

If I anticipate an important event then I want a big sensor behind a 24-70 and often other lenses. For a more distant event, even inside, then the 600mm lens of the RX10 MKIII-IV will come into play.
If there is a special event then whopy not consider renting special equipment?

Sep 15, 2017 at 01:44 AM
grahamgibson
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Replace RX100 V with RX1R ii?

I think the RX1rII would pair nicely with either the RX10 or RX100 models for travel. You have the full frame sensor when you want it, and the wide/zoom focal reach with a decent sensor also. The main thing you give up is the very small size of the RX100 body. If you can live with the larger RX1rII, I'd say go for it.

Sep 15, 2017 at 04:43 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password