New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Rx1 advice

Jmonat7
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rx1 advice

Is the Rx1 still a good investment? I am looking for a compact everyday camera, my a7ii is a little too big to toss in my work bag. The image quality is not my concern, more if a new model is expected and a potential future lower price on Rx1's? Advice from owners on how good the camera is in the long-term is also very welcomed. Thanks!

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:05 PM
justruss
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rx1 advice

You know about the new model, the RX1rII-- which was released quite some time ago, right?

I don't expect a ton of downward pressure if a second replacement comes in the mid-term future.

Nobody who can say knows whether a new-new model is on the way.

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:51 PM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rx1 advice

I'm very tempted by used RX1's at current pricing. Not much more expensive than a Ricoh GR and less than a Fuji X100f, you get more pixels, a full-frame sensor, and a killer 35mm lens. Unfortunately no built in EVF, no tilt screen, and less than stellar AF and manual focus features. I'd be willing to give those features up for the size of the package and IQ it affords at the current pricing.

Sep 14, 2017 at 03:02 PM
trogdon
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rx1 advice

I borrowed an RX1 for a few weeks from a friend, as I was highly interested in the feature set and the pop up flash for work that I do. After some time, I can't say that it was a superior device to my a7r and 35mm f2.8 lens. The RX1 has shorter battery life, EVF is not as good, files not as malleable as the a7r (and with the resolution differences, the a7r combo rendered more detail), the autofocus was slower, less accurate, and louder. I also missed the tilt screen, which is a feature I use very often. It also wasn't hugely smaller than my setup, since the lens juts out a similar amount. No doubt the RX1 is very well constructed, and at f2 delivers images unlike anything you can get with the 35 2.8 FE lens, but at the same time it wasn't an outright replacement for my use.

I think it's a great camera, but having already owned an ultimately similar setup I found the RX1 to not suit my style as well. If size is a must, AF in lowlight isn't a concern, you don't mind no tilt, lower battery, and lower EVF res doesn't bother you, it could be a great supplement.

Sep 14, 2017 at 03:29 PM
farfisa
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rx1 advice

I wouldn't call it a good investment, but more of a cheap rental--you wouldn't lose too much if a new model comes out (because one already has), and it's a great little package.

I tried using an A7ii + 35/2.8 as an everyday, but agree that it's a bit big and heavy for that.

The RX1 is significantly lighter, and I find the AF for casual stuff to be very good (just not great in low light), but it's still not pocketable, and it's a bit front heavy.

I mostly bring it out when I'm going out with the family, and it's great for intimate shots.

For street and everyday, I really like the Ricoh GR, which does fit in a pocket. Takes some getting used to, but the detail is awesome and I love the feature set.

Sep 14, 2017 at 06:38 PM
Mathieu18
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rx1 advice

I have one, love its IQ. I think it depends what you shoot. I'm likely going to sell it and keep my M4/3 E-M5 & 15mm f/1.7. The output isn't as nice, but for catching my daughter running around the AF is in another world. On the other hand for more static scenes the RX1 is magical. If AF speed is going to be important to what you shoot, it's probably better to find something else, but if your subjects are cooperative or immobile it could be a great option.

Sep 14, 2017 at 06:43 PM
Neurad1

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rx1 advice

Just packed my RX1 for a trip to Vegas. Going for a few days for a work-related meeting and just didn't want to haul my A7RII kit with several lenses and tripod. It's unpredictable, but I will probably not have a ton of time to shoot and want to be able to get a few good shots in. I previously purchased a screw on converter that makes it wider, too. I'm bringing along a Joby Gorillapod and hope to shoot some neon signs at night. I hope I don't regret not bringing a full kit and tripod, but it will be what it will be. I don't really like carrying gear that is too conspicuous in a busy crowded urban environment. Don't want to be a target. Will be going out to Red Rocks for one day....that'll be the day I may return with regrets. But I've never truly given the RX1 a real spin. It's gathered dust most of the time since I purchased it since I quickly moved on to an A7II and A7RII. Perfect example of how GAS hurts you....You may never really learn to use the gear you already have before moving on to new gear. I'm very guilty of that.

Sep 14, 2017 at 07:27 PM
Mathieu18
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rx1 advice

Ha, leaving Vegas tonight, only packed my RX1. It's worked out well, once wished I had a 100mm once, but I've also had it in my bag the entire time, shooting architecture here and there, nice light etc. I think it's ideal for that useage. In the other hand, I'm never going to print these large, so output off an E-M5 would be perfectly adequate, with better AF for other situations...

Neurad1 wrote:
Just packed my RX1 for a trip to Vegas. Going for a few days for a work-related meeting and just didn't want to haul my A7RII kit with several lenses and tripod. It's unpredictable, but I will probably not have a ton of time to shoot and want to be able to get a few good shots in. I previously purchased a screw on converter that makes it wider, too. I'm bringing along a Joby Gorillapod and hope to shoot some neon signs at night. I hope I don't regret not bringing a full kit and tripod, but it will
...Show more

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rx1 advice

One of the best 35mm lenses around in a ridiculously portable body. AF is pretty slow and gets noticeably worse in low light. Other than that it's hard to go wrong if the focal length and size is up your alley.

Sep 15, 2017 at 12:15 AM
genji
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rx1 advice

Lots of useful advice in this thread. A tilt screen was essential for me so I waited until the RX1RII was released. If that's not important for you, I'd definitely say grab an RX1, that Sonnar 35/2 lens more than makes up for the camera's other deficiencies.

Sep 15, 2017 at 04:11 AM
Jmonat7
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rx1 advice

Thanks for all the input everyone! I think I'm going to give the rx1 a try.

Sep 15, 2017 at 03:56 PM
Neurad1

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Rx1 advice

An album of shots from a recent Vegas visit....I also used my RX100M3. Sorry for the amateurness of it. I'm no pro, but I hope it gives you an idea of how the RX1 performs.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm57ZbdW

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:33 PM
DaveFP
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Rx1 advice

Nice set !

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:54 PM
umsl12
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Rx1 advice

I have A7II too, and 24-70/2.8 G and 35mm 2.8. I wanted a small camera to carry around but didn't want tiny sensors so I got a RX1. I love it. I use it every day. The lens is so sharp and good colors, contrast. I sold 35 2.8 although I had a good copy. I don't think I need to upgrade to RX1II or III. RX1 is good enough for me.

Oct 28, 2017 at 01:06 PM
hsiunghsiung
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Rx1 advice

I had an rx1r that I brought to malaysia last year before I sold it. Now that I have an a7rii + 35mm 2.8, I find myself feeling like that is too heavy of a kit to carry with me everywhere. The rx1r in malaysia was very easy to bring out and use in the streets without feeling like I stand out or am carrying expensive equipment. Very worth it for the size + full frame quality. Now I'm looking for a rx1rii sharp copy because I like the pdaf, tilt screen, and 42 Mp (will probably need higher ISO and faster shutterspeed to compensate for lack of IBIS).

For the rx1 at the current used price, I fail to see how it can depreciate by much anymore, so i think it'd be good if the specs there are all you need.

Oct 28, 2017 at 03:51 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password