New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Solid tripod for landscape

pyrohamish

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Solid tripod for landscape

I'm after a decent tripod for landscape photography, I currently have a Gitzo 0531 and Sirui K10x which is proving to be a bit light on. Requirements are:

1. Suit a Canon 6d with up to a 100-400ii as well as potentially a 4x5 in the future.
  2. I'm trying to be a little price conscious i.e. legs+head under $1000 USD.
  3. I'm 6'4" and I'd like to get close to eye height.
  4. I'd like it to be reasonably light for walking with.

So far I've been looking at:

1. Jobu Design Algonquin - this is my current preference
  2. FEISOL CT-3472

I'm thinking of pairing this up with a Sirui K30x head, given I quite like my K10x.

Any thoughts or other legs / heads / combinations I should be considering?

Sep 14, 2017 at 01:52 PM
WestTexas Sky
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Solid tripod for landscape

The 3472 is a decent model that seems like a very sturdy tripod. I have seen one and was pretty impressed. I would pair it with a Kirk BH-1, RRS BH-55, Arca-Swiss Z1 or the like. Maybe a Sirui K-40x for a cost savings.

You also might look at a used Gitzo. A 1325 or 1348 are both 3 series Systematic models (no center column) that are often can be found around $300. The 1325 is the three leg section, 58" tall, and 26" collapsed. The 1348 is 4 leg sections, 65" tall and 24" collapsed.

I bought the 1325 new in 2004 and it still looks new. I bought the 1348 used last year and it is still in super shape. I easily expect both to last twenty plus years more.

The 1348 is my favorite. As a person who is also 6'4" I like the height of it. Going down to a folded 24" makes it good for travel too in a checked bag.

Both are very stable and I think that even used a better deal than most current tripods. I use mine with my Arca-Swiss 4x5, and any digital camera gear.

Good luck!!

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:23 PM
srboynton

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Solid tripod for landscape

I have Algonquin with Arca Z1.

Not the lightest and I have to take the head off to fit in a checked bag - but will take almost any weight, is tall and bomb proof.

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:55 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Solid tripod for landscape

the advantage to the Feisol is multifold. in your neck of the woods parts availability direct is relatively easy if needed. it is also a modular designe allowing different component heads to be used such as their leveling base (quite useful).

i really don't understand the concept behind jobu's product other than price and simplicity. with their supposed capability they could make a more advanced option stick set

Sep 14, 2017 at 04:58 PM
Bobarino

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Solid tripod for landscape

sjms wrote:
i really don't understand the concept behind jobu's product other than price and simplicity. with their supposed capability they could make a more advanced option stick set

Hi SJMS,
Basically, Jobu Design only offers one design,,,, and for Jobu, it's all about no compromise in stability. They only build a 3-section leg tripod, and the only variation between their Algonquin and Killarney tripods, is length, Otherwise, they're simply different versions of exactly the same tripod, One tall (Algonquin) and one standard height (KIllarney). They don't get into weaker multi leg-section designs such as the "Traveller" designs, etc.

They don't offer a modular top-plate design because they feel it compromises strength, and the tripod is basically a complement to their gimbal heads, so modular design is unnecessary from their perspective. (I wish they'd offer a choice, however, I see why they don't.)

Their tripods are 100% carbon (no filler or cosmetic wrap), solid billet aluminum top-plate and twist-locks. Top leg sections are 1,4" diameter if I remember correctly.

If you go to Jobu Designs' website, and click on the Algonquin product page,,,, scroll all the way to the bottom of that page, and you'll see the president of Jobu Design, standing on top of one of his tripods. Apparently, he weighs 180 lbs. It's quite a sight. He's certainly got more guts than I do.

I have no affiliation with their company or their tripods, but I do own a Jobu gimbal head.(BWG-HD3 with Pro2 conversion). I own a bunch of Gitzo Systematics and a Gitzo Traveller, but I may add an Algonquin at one point. At the low price they're selling for (in Canadian dollars), it just may be the best bang-for-your-buck no-compromise tripod made in North America. One of my local dealers has one on order, so I'll finally get to see one first hand.

Cheers,
Bob

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:53 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Solid tripod for landscape

I have had a Feisol 3372 for years now. Never lets me down. I was on the south shore of Lake Michigan a few weeks ago with a 40 MPH wind coming in. Rock steady. Luckily the lake was just beginning to get wound up. Shot from the pier about 30-40 feet out on the lake,This is ISPAT steel works about a mile or so away. It made me a few shekels.

Feisol 3372 Markins 40(?) ballhead.

NIKON D500    190mm    f/5.3    1/2500s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Sep 14, 2017 at 09:14 PM
ATX353

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Solid tripod for landscape

runamuck wrote:
I have had a Feisol 3372 for years now. Never lets me down. I was on the south shore of Lake Michigan a few weeks ago with a 40 MPH wind coming in. Rock steady. Luckily the lake was just beginning to get wound up. Shot from the pier about 30-40 feet out on the lake,This is ISPAT steel works about a mile or so away. It made me a few shekels.

Feisol 3372 Markins 40(?) ballhead.

Nice picture! Love hearing the feedback on the Feisol, I myself am trying to figure out a more portable, but not too heavy option.

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:11 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Solid tripod for landscape

Bobarino wrote:
Hi SJMS,
Basically, Jobu Design only offers one design,,,, and for Jobu, it's all about no compromise in stability. They only build a 3-section leg tripod, and the only variation between their Algonquin and Killarney tripods, is length, Otherwise, they're simply different versions of exactly the same tripod, One tall (Algonquin) and one standard height (KIllarney). They don't get into weaker multi leg-section designs such as the "Traveller" designs, etc.

They don't offer a modular top-plate design because they feel it compromises strength, and the tripod is basically a complement to their gimbal heads, so modular design is unnecessary from their perspective.
...Show more

where i do accept most of that the compromise factor has been well proven to be inaccurate to say the least. some of their design elements are a little problematic too. non removable spikes and such.

their gimbal heads don't self level. in fact i havent found any that do. i have their Jobu Heavy Duty HD4

i work with cinema gear too so a halfbowl type leveling option helps.

doing the compression act is the song and dance that has been done by other companies such as RRS and Benro. they opted to ape hang on theirs. its a good performance by all. i'll give him an extra point for doing the single point Cirque du Soleil stand
to each their choice. i have used the Killarney

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:32 PM
Bobarino

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Solid tripod for landscape

sjms wrote:
where i do accept most of that the compromise factor has been well proven to be inaccurate to say the least. some of their design elements are a little problematic too. non removable spikes and such.

their gimbal heads don't self level. i have their Jobu Heavy Duty HD4

doing the compression act is the song and dance that has been done by other companies such as RRS and Benro. they opted to ape hang on theirs. its a good performance by all. i'll give him an extra point for doing the single point Cirque du Soleil stand
to each their choice.
...Show more

I'm not crazy about their spikes either,,, that said, they'd be impossible to lose. Personally, I find their spikes to be a bit too wide with the point being a bit shallow, but hey,,,, if it works,,,,,,,cool.

I just don't see any other "negatives" with the design. Personally, I don't care for the self-leveling gimbal bases. (which really has nothing to do with the tripods' design). Jobu doesn't like center-columns either, so there's no point for them building a modular-accessory head like the Systematics. I'd put an AcraTech 1117 on either of the Jobu's, and be completely happy, and it would cost me far less than the Gitzo GSLVLS levelling base and the required video half-bowl, plus it would be lighter to carry around. I believe the Algonquin weighs 4.2 lbs. vs 4.7 for my 4-series Systematic, or my 5-series 3-section Systematic, which weighs 6.2 lbs.

They also throw in foam grips I believe,,,, no extra charge. At $899. CDN ($720. U'S. roughly) it looks to me to be a steal.

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:02 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Solid tripod for landscape

When I need solid, I go to my Gitzo 1325. Can sometimes be found used on ebay as they were the top choice for nature photographers when they came out. When I really need something rock solid and am using a large camera system (such as 5x7), I have a wooden Berlebach tripod.

Kent in SD

Sep 15, 2017 at 12:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Solid tripod for landscape

The mushroom feet work so much better on the RRS and I use gitzo spikes on my RRS because their spikes are a little too long and deadly

Bobarino wrote:
I'm not crazy about their spikes either,,, that said, they'd be impossible to lose. Personally, I find their spikes to be a bit too wide with the point being a bit shallow, but hey,,,, if it works,,,,,,,cool.

I just don't see any other "negatives" with the design. Personally, I don't care for the self-leveling gimbal bases. (which really has nothing to do with the tripods' design). Jobu doesn't like center-columns either, so there's no point for them building a modular-accessory head like the Systematics. I'd put an AcraTech 1117 on either of the Jobu's, and be completely happy, and it would
...Show more

Sep 15, 2017 at 12:47 AM
Bobarino

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Solid tripod for landscape

"The mushroom feet work so much better on the RRS and I use ghetto spikes on my RS because their spikes or a little too long and deadly"

SJMS, I just bought a set of the 50mm ball/swivel feet for my GT-5532s. The grip of these feet on smooth surfaces, is amazing. Each foot has a flat 3.14sq.in. contacting the floor, or a flat outdoor surface.

My 3-series Systematic (GT-3542XLS) has X-tra-long legs(roughly 7' tall), and I found that when I used a rubber foot with a rounded contact surface like my rubber-capped spikes,,, the actual contact area was too small for the tall legs. The feet were skittish on a smooth surface, especially with just a bit of dust on that surface. The new Gitzo 55mm ball/swivel feet "stick" like they're glued in place, making the entire tripod far more stable. I love these feet. I think I paid $50. CDN,,,, well worth the price.

Sep 15, 2017 at 01:12 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Solid tripod for landscape

these came with mine and work at all angles that the tripod is capable of on many varied surfaces. flat too. they play geometry very well as they follow the angle of the leg sweep. they put effort in every detail.

yeah the Gitzo caps do tend to get I little slideeee. that why they're not on spikes and all when not needed.

Edited on Sep 15, 2017 at 09:27 AM · View previous versions

Sep 15, 2017 at 02:22 AM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Solid tripod for landscape

I've had the Jobu Algonquin now for a couple of years, from the day it was first available, in fact. Been dragging it through forests, swamps, prairies, deserts, mountains, hills, seas, beaches, lakes, and rivers. Through rain and shine. Held up like a champion. Never let me down.

The "concept" behind it is that it is a tripod that aims to be nothing more or less than just a damned good tripod. No frills. No bells. No whistles. Minimal parts. Robust. Field serviceable.

Sep 15, 2017 at 02:31 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Solid tripod for landscape

point taken and I referred to that right from the beginning. still lacking in versatility which is easily attained though. if all you are after is a baseline legset and accept the limits of it then there it is. I do like the green anodizing too.

it comes down to the ability to make it into what one needs it to be.

Sep 15, 2017 at 02:39 AM
pyrohamish

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Solid tripod for landscape

There's not much going on in the second hand market in Australia and shipping second hand from US gets expensive quickly.

I don't know if a I really get an advantage from having a leveling head, save from spending a few seconds adjusting legs if i'm going to do a panorama.

As for feet, my current Gitzo only has small rubber feet. I can't say I've ever felt the need for anything else. Not much ice going on in Australia so I believe that rules out the requirement for spikes...open to opinions here though.

I like the idea of the no frills and minimal parts but I think there is also alot of marketing hype with the no filler, here's a guy standing on it etc. Strength wise, I would think they are all about the same at this point in the market, whether it has a bowl or not and 3 vs. 4 leg sections makes a minimal difference considering the actual load carrying requirement.

Sep 15, 2017 at 08:47 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Solid tripod for landscape

in the end support for the product if needed is closer to you via Feisol and the CT3472 has "expansion capability".

you may think leveling is easy doing the legs but once you use a leveling platform you won't go back. those "seconds" add up. and depending on terrain it can be a bit more then that depending on what you drop on top of it.

NIKON D7200    16.0-80.0 mm f/2.8-4.0 lens    31mm    f/6.3    3s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Sep 15, 2017 at 09:39 AM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Solid tripod for landscape

sjms wrote:
in the end support for the product if needed is closer to you via Feisol and the CT3472 has "expansion capability".

you may think leveling is easy doing the legs but once you use a leveling platform you won't go back. those "seconds" add up. and depending on terrain it can be a bit more then that depending on what you drop on top of it.

(1) Jobu is based in Canada; I am based in the US. I've interacted with support a few times. Email turn-around has been measured in hours (sometimes less than an hour), even on weekends. I needed a replacement nylon collar once: in my hands in three days, with no charge for the part and free shipping.

(2) I have a Markins Q20 as my standard ballhead on the tripod. My gimbal has a RRS TH-DVTL-55 Round Dovetail Plate mounted on the bottom. When I want to use the gimbal, I just clamp it into the Markins ballhead ... and then the Markins ballhead becomes the leveling base. A far, far, far, far better leveling base in terms of flexibility, strength, stability, and convenience than any dedicated leveling base! One less part to carry. Of course, if you want a leveling base and a ballhead, then a dedicated leveling base might be needed. But TBH, I have never found that need -- the ballhead gives me enough movement to not just get things level no matter what the leg position and terrain, but also get it right very quickly and without any muss or fuss. It's only with gimbal shots that I find that getting things level (without a leveling base) becomes a challenge, especially rapidly and correctly, and it makes a big difference in wildlife photography, and, in particular, when tracking wildlife. Of course, YMMV ...

Sep 15, 2017 at 12:02 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Solid tripod for landscape

that is an opinion that would not have 100% agreement. some people have multiple options sitting on top of the tripod that just don't work that well using what you describe. the "I have never found that need" statement is quite constraining.

well that we agree on and its more then wildlife photography where it makes a difference too:
It's only with gimbal shots that I find that getting things level (without a leveling base) becomes a challenge, especially rapidly and correctly, and it makes a big difference in wildlife photography, and, in particular, when tracking wildlife. Of course,

I am speaking from multi disciplines because that is what I do.

Sep 15, 2017 at 12:57 PM
Eric Larsen
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Solid tripod for landscape

I use a Gitzo 1325 for landscape with the Markins M20 and I find that combination to be superb, though I am not 6' 4"! Many times, however, I'm not composing while standing full height. On overseas trips where luggage limitations are critical, I go with a little 1227 Mountaineer which is toy-like in comparison to the 1325 but works very well nonetheless.

I set up my tripods with a rigid hanger from under the plate such that I can hang weight (usually my gear bag) from it further stabilizing the legs. You can get rock solid results doing this.

Sep 17, 2017 at 06:16 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password