New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

New Polaroid One Step 2

ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Polaroid One Step 2

I need to retire my sx-70 and polaroid answered.

https://us.polaroidoriginals.com/

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:55 AM
matejphoto
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Polaroid One Step 2

I think it is a good move by the Impossible project. Polaroid has great name recognition. Every time I pull out my instax wide people ask: It that a polaroid? I just say yes (no one outside of photographers really cares as long as it is an instant photograph).

As for the camera, the price is good, the cost of film even for light usage will make the cost of camera insignificant.

As for film, I have never tried the Impossible project but it still seems pricey and I think the bigger problem is the development time. The magic of instax is the fast development and people can watch the image to appear. I personally don't see the point shooting instant film and not leveraging the instant nature of it (e.g. I don't see a point to shoot landscape with instax for my keeping). I only shoot it when I interact with people and can hand out the prints right away.

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:45 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Polaroid One Step 2

good point on dev times.

here's the new lomo instant square w instax

I do like the form factor better on the lomo

Sep 14, 2017 at 06:43 PM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Polaroid One Step 2

I'm glad it's here but it looks like a toy. My SX70 is a work of art.

Gordon

Sep 14, 2017 at 07:44 PM
AbramG
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Polaroid One Step 2

I pre-ordered one. It's going to be fun to use!

Sep 14, 2017 at 09:49 PM
matejphoto
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Polaroid One Step 2

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
good point on dev times.

here's the new lomo instant square w instax

I do like the form factor better on the lomo

I own Instax Wide 300, Instax mini 8 and I backed the lomo instax square. I absolutely do not need those cameras but I enjoy playing with them to break the routine of technical perfection of digital.
I also have a Crown graphic with pack film back and about $1000 worth of stock of FB-3000B and FP-100C.

For photo enthusiasts I really hope someone will bring back pack film, it is so versatile, it was a sad day when I found that they will discontinue FP-100C. Emulsion transfers are particularly fun for people outside of photography.

Instant film is really fun and I think it is here to stay like vinyl for audio. But I think the choice will be limited to this new Polaroid and Instax.

Sep 15, 2017 at 07:11 PM
trogdon
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Polaroid One Step 2

It's definitely great that they brought it back, especially with the mix of 600 film and the film without the battery. I do think the film seems a little pricey, and it remains to be seen if it'll beat the instax square in terms of quality. Plus, instax wide is very affordable and easy to find

Sep 16, 2017 at 05:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

George Orwell
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New Polaroid One Step 2

trogdon wrote:
It's definitely great that they brought it back, especially with the mix of 600 film and the film without the battery. I do think the film seems a little pricey, and it remains to be seen if it'll beat the instax square in terms of quality. Plus, instax wide is very affordable and easy to find

Impossible film is not even remotely on the same level of quality as Instax. It's awful, simply awful. The images fade after just a few months, if you are lucky. It would take Impossible about 5 major step improvements just to match Instax's level of quality. They are that far behind.

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:33 AM
simonedf

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New Polaroid One Step 2

George Orwell wrote:
Impossible film is not even remotely on the same level of quality as Instax. It's awful, simply awful. The images fade after just a few months, if you are lucky. It would take Impossible about 5 major step improvements just to match Instax's level of quality. They are that far behind.

The new Polaroid branded film seems a big improvement. 10-15 mins of developing time and much more stable.

Sep 20, 2017 at 01:33 PM
matejphoto
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New Polaroid One Step 2

simonedf wrote:
The new Polaroid branded film seems a big improvement. 10-15 mins of developing time and much more stable.

Any insight on dynamic range?
I find that the dynamic range even of the instax is very small, lots of blown highlights on sunny days.

Sep 20, 2017 at 03:22 PM
George Orwell
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New Polaroid One Step 2

matejphoto wrote:
Any insight on dynamic range?
I find that the dynamic range even of the instax is very small, lots of blown highlights on sunny days.

Yep, it's more like slide film rather than negative. I wonder how better metering would help.

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:45 PM
voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New Polaroid One Step 2

George Orwell wrote:
Impossible film is not even remotely on the same level of quality as Instax. It's awful, simply awful.

This. But now they can fool some people under the guise of Polaroids name.

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:53 AM
matejphoto
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New Polaroid One Step 2

voidsherpa wrote:
This. But now they can fool some people under the guise of Polaroids name.

Better metering and manual control would be a huge help. But if the dynamic range of the film is very small (maybe 5 stops?) even in normal scenes (e.g. beach vacation photo) some parts will be either washed out (waves, clouds,...) or dark blobs with no detail (trees, people in shade,...)

Sep 21, 2017 at 02:16 PM
SergeyT

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New Polaroid One Step 2

I wonder what noise level in the shadows might be...

Sep 21, 2017 at 07:22 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password