Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Upgraded to CC finally - What did I just Buy?

mysh
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Upgraded to CC finally - What did I just Buy?

I finally upgraded today to the CC photographer package which includes Photoshop CC and Lightroom 6 CC. I pretty much was forced to since I just got the D850 and it isn't supported in CS6. I could have looked at other software but I am used to adobe for my workflow.
I am coming from Lightroom 5.7 and CS6. I am wondering what features I am getting with the new ones that can help my processing.
I know about Dehaze and brush tool while using Graduated Filter in Lightroom.

What features are in the new CC versions that you find helpful for processing that weren't in the old versions? I don't care about library type stuff, just processing.

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:40 AM
Bernie
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Upgraded to CC finally - What did I just Buy?

I moved from CS6 to CC recently on the iMac because of projected incompatibility with the next upcoming OS release.

In ACR the spot removal tool handles irregular shapes now and one can specify the feather amount and opacity. I find the "Visualize Spots" a real time saver since previously I was working the histogram to make them more visible. I also like the scrubby zoom since I work close and far for effect and composition. One can have presets defining the sizes and conversion types. I've used the new Transform tool a number of times, but am still experimenting with it.

Bridge seems to work faster, using more cores when building previews. When bringing in an image as a smart object, it's name isn't as long. I still don't know why or when the file name gets appended (1,2,3) when editing a smart object in ACR that had already been open in PS.

My workflow in PS itself hasn't really changed. But I'm glad the Oil Paint filter is back in service (Filter/Stylize).

Note that "Save for Web" is now under Export / Save for Web (legacy).

Sep 14, 2017 at 04:06 PM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Upgraded to CC finally - What did I just Buy?

Bernie wrote:
I moved from CS6 to CC recently on the iMac because of projected incompatibility with the next upcoming OS release.

How or why is it that the mac OS regularly breaks software functionality but Windows software is largely compatible with previous OS versions, including some from the last century?

No need to answer. That was largely rhetorical.

Sep 14, 2017 at 04:14 PM
dmcphoto
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Upgraded to CC finally - What did I just Buy?

For me the benefit of CC has never been about how many more things it can do, but rather how much better, and in some cases with much less time and effort, the same things can be accomplished. The bottom line is that most of the common tools work far better in the latest version of CC, and there are some new tools as well.

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:04 PM
dakel
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Upgraded to CC finally - What did I just Buy?

LR standalone could be/should be updated to include the D850 (not sure when though). You can use that to render the RAW into TIFF into Photoshop. That's been my experience with other cameras (not the D850 as I don't own it).

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:29 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Upgraded to CC finally - What did I just Buy?

My advice is to stick with ACR if you can rather than Lightroom if you're going to be investing time learning new software. You have exponentially more flexibility is PS than you do LR without switching programs. Personally I can't stand LR but I realize it is very popular still.

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:21 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Upgraded to CC finally - What did I just Buy?

Ho1972 wrote:
How or why is it that the mac OS regularly breaks software functionality but Windows software is largely compatible with previous OS versions, including some from the last century?

And not true. Compatibility has to do with the developer, not an OS.

Sep 14, 2017 at 11:07 PM
skid00skid00
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Upgraded to CC finally - What did I just Buy?

For those not aware of this, you CAN continue to use older LR versions with newer cameras.

You download and use Adobe DNG Converter (free) to convert your new camera's RAW files to DNG, which older versions of LR will happily digest.

DNG C is updated with ACR when new camera RAW files are released.

Sep 15, 2017 at 12:14 AM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Upgraded to CC finally - What did I just Buy?

Thanks for the replies.

Bernie thanks I will have to check out some of the features you mentioned.

I like to start in LR for basic edits and then open in PS if I need further editing options like layers. I would like to try to use ACR more for my initial editing.

Sep 15, 2017 at 12:15 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Upgraded to CC finally - What did I just Buy?

mysh wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

Bernie thanks I will have to check out some of the features you mentioned.

I like to start in LR for basic edits and then open in PS if I need further editing options like layers. I would like to try to use ACR more for my initial editing.

If as you say in your OP you don't care about Library stuff then don't use LR . It will just frustrate the hell out of you . Personally I think you'd be mistaken but each to their own .
As LR is basically ACR with a DAM attached you can do pretty much anyt of your basic edits in ACR anyway .

But if you do dive into LR as a CC member you also get LR mobile for tablets and phones . Yes this USED to be junk but now is a much better bit of software and is worth trying . There is also a web browser version now as well . Not tried it myself but seeing a few videos on it from Adobe it looks quite interesting

Sep 15, 2017 at 06:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Upgraded to CC finally - What did I just Buy?

Ho1972 wrote:

Funny how I've never had a program stop working on my Mac after any version upgrade but I lost the use of a bunch of stuff at work when my win7 laptop forced a win 10 upgrade on us (even though we thought we had elected not to upgrade) . And then to make matters worse the 'simple roll back if you don't want it' feature failed to roll back to a stable state .
If programs like CS6 will be incompatible with the next version of Mac OS your not compelled to upgrade to it and you certainly won't come down in the morning and find Apple had upgraded you anyway like MS did .

Sep 15, 2017 at 06:49 AM
melcat
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Upgraded to CC finally - What did I just Buy?

mysh wrote:
What features are in the new CC versions that you find helpful for processing that weren't in the old versions?

The Creative Cloud version of Photoshop is what used to be called the "Extended Version", and includes the ability to average layers by median and mode. I think I've only tried it a couple of times, but median average can be used to simulate motion blur in long exposures from multiple normal exposures, and mode averaging to stack multiple exposures to reduce noise.

There are a lot of enhancements to Camera Raw, including keystoning corrections, but I don't use any of them since I don't want my edits stuck in a proprietary format. Instead, I continue with Photoshop and process to TIFF.

Most of the other enhancements seem to be for web development teams and are of no interest to photographers; indeed the way they clutter up the interface and training materials is of negative benefit to photographers.

I highly recommend this official Adobe Youtube channel for learning new features as they are added to Photoshop:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClH-KpveOLJszChWRfFmPfQ

Many small bugs have been fixed since CS6, but one very annoying one remains: if you use marquee select to select a rectangle which covers the whole height or width of an image in one dimension or the oither, you can't tweak it with the arrow keys. This was broken in CS6 and remains broken in the current version. The workaround is to use the modify selection menu item to contract by 5 pixels, do the move, then expand by 5 pixels again.

Bridge may be faster and less crash-happy but a new, very bad, bug has been introduced, On Mac, at least, it doesn't honour the cache size preference and keeps on regenerating all the thumbnails and previews when you navigate to a folder you haven't been to for a while.

Symbolic links are also now not supported in Bridge at all and are just ignored. I guess this was a solution to the sometimes incorrect behaviour with them in CS6, but a lazy one.

With Creative Cloud, you get access to Adobe's font library, which is nice, but they are very much second place to the other company, which has the good ones.

Ho1972 wrote:

It's a difference in philosophy. macOS is a Unix, where compatibility is by source code and it's traditionally been OK to expect applications to be changed to keep up. Windows is from the DEC and assembler worlds, which had the opposite philosophy.

Sep 15, 2017 at 08:50 AM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Upgraded to CC finally - What did I just Buy?

melcat wrote:
It's a difference in philosophy. macOS is a Unix, where compatibility is by source code and it's traditionally been OK to expect applications to be changed to keep up. Windows is from the DEC and assembler worlds, which had the opposite philosophy.

Right. Despite assertions to the contrary above, I've heard sporadic laments from mac users about OS upgrade issues for a number of years (can't update my OS yet because... or I updated and now XYZ app won't launch). Macs have an Incompatible Software folder for a reason. And I agree that MS is not blameless in this regard either since it will foist unwanted/untimely updates on users who haven't taken precautions. That's one reason why I stick with Win 8.1: I get only the updates I want at a time of my choosing. I am reasonably sure that this can be accomplished in Win 10, but I'm not willing to risk a missed deadline on it just yet.

Sep 15, 2017 at 02:21 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Upgraded to CC finally - What did I just Buy?

Ho1972 wrote:
Right. Despite assertions to the contrary above, I've heard sporadic laments from mac users about OS upgrade issues for a number of years (can't update my OS yet because... or I updated and now XYZ app won't launch). Macs have an Incompatible Software folder for a reason. And I agree that MS is not blameless in this regard either since it will foist unwanted/untimely updates on users who haven't taken precautions. That's one reason why I stick with Win 8.1: I get only the updates I want at a time of my choosing. I am reasonably sure that this can
...Show more

Well, just as you have avoided advancing your OS beyond Windows 8.1, Mac users are not compelled to advance their OS version as well. Absolutely no difference. Anyone who has PSCS6 working on their system now, need not update to High Sierra.

Lamenting that one may not be able to utilize an OS released in 2017 for an app that the developer hasn't updated in several years is indeed not the problem the majority of end users are concerned with. Adobe has abandoned CS6 apps in their entirety. PSCS6 only received updates for ACR for several years prior to it's abandonment by Adobe. It is not Apple's responsibility to offer infinite support for legacy applications the developer has dropped..

Time and technology does move on. Advancements that were unknown at the time apps were coded decades ago are possible now. End users can either choose to keep pace with this flow or choose to remain with the tried and true tools of the past ... just as you are doing with Win 8.1. Apple doesn't hold a gun to anyone's head and force them to upgrade their OS. It's purely a personal choice ... just like you have made for the version of Windows OS you prefer to utilize.

It's no secret that for many years now, Apple has been offering annual FREE OS updates. Often, when implementing new technologies (like the underlying core graphics functions of Metal and now Metal2) older legacy apps will suffer. Rather than add the unnecessary bloat to support apps from the 'last century" .... Apple chooses to move on and those developers who wish to embrace new opportunities and new technologies update their wares accordingly.

The grass is not any less green on the other side of the fence merely because the OS comes from Cupertino rather than Redmond.

Sep 15, 2017 at 03:01 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Upgraded to CC finally - What did I just Buy?

mysh wrote:
I know about Dehaze and brush tool while using Graduated Filter in Lightroom.

What features are in the new CC versions that you find helpful for processing that weren't in the old versions? I don't care about library type stuff, just processing.

In all honesty ... when it comes to 'processing' in Lr CC over Lr 5.7 ... other than the few items you are aware of, there really isn't much more cover.

If you find the need for lens correction, the new Guided Upright comes in handy for quickly addressing distortion/leveling tasks.

But ... other than those few things, and of course, Lightroom Mobile, it seems all our subscription fees have brought us is RAW support for new cameras and new lens profiles. In the way of new features, not much has really changes since Lr. 5.7.

For my needs, PS isn't much of a factor in my workflow. I only use it for compositing and CMYK conversions mostly. There's not a whole lot of earth shattering difference there either. The bulk of any updates to PS have been in ACR.

Sep 15, 2017 at 03:16 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Upgraded to CC finally - What did I just Buy?

Ho1972 wrote:

I would suggest that you have a rather incomplete memory/understanding of Windows and compatible apps. Have - over the years - experienced a number of incompatibilities. The Win market being so much bigger does tend to have much greater developer resources thus can adapt better/quicker. Apple problems are generally a result of a developer not following the rules - which yes - can be crazy. Win's rules are much less defined.

It is remarkable how long I've been able to many bits of "incompatible" software." Yes, there are several I miss - good email clients for example. Usually incompatibilty happens over several generations.

Sep 15, 2017 at 03:28 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Upgraded to CC finally - What did I just Buy?

Ho1972 wrote:
How or why is it that the mac OS regularly breaks software functionality but Windows software is largely compatible with previous OS versions, including some from the last century?.

As a user of MS products before even Win 3.1 ( at work until Win 7), I had consciously decided I didn't want to be 2 OS versions behind since I was still running CS 6 on El Capitan. No forced upgrade by Apple as with MS.

At home I moved to an iMac when I realized that upgrading to MS Vista would break more of my peripherals. Since I would have to get new software anyway, the choice was obvious. I've never regretted the free OS X upgrades.

Sep 15, 2017 at 06:03 PM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Upgraded to CC finally - What did I just Buy?

^ Interesting. I moved away from macs when I was done with design/photography classes and was no longer compelled to use them in the labs. I've never regretted the move though free upgrades would be nice.

Sep 15, 2017 at 11:09 PM
gdsf2
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Upgraded to CC finally - What did I just Buy?

CanadaMark wrote:
My advice is to stick with ACR if you can rather than Lightroom if you're going to be investing time learning new software. You have exponentially more flexibility is PS than you do LR without switching programs. Personally I can't stand LR but I realize it is very popular still.

I disagree. I love Lightroom. It is so much more efficient than PS. Lightroom was built for photographers, PS was not. I don't need anything but Lightroom for 95% of my images. The workflow is great. But I guess everyone has thier own approach.

Jerry

Sep 16, 2017 at 11:59 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Upgraded to CC finally - What did I just Buy?

gdsf2 wrote:
I disagree. I love Lightroom. It is so much more efficient than PS. Lightroom was built for photographers, PS was not. I don't need anything but Lightroom for 95% of my images. The workflow is great. But I guess everyone has thier own approach.

Jerry

Have you used ACR? It is the same as lightroom until you need to do more. I'm glad you're happy with it though, use whatever works best for you.

Sep 17, 2017 at 02:47 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password