New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · 5D mk II settings to shoot Flowers JPEG

Etadam
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D mk II settings to shoot Flowers JPEG

My friends wants to use my 5D mk II to shoot bouquets of flowers (at a rather close range, in a studio).
She doesn't want to hear about raw, and will only use JPEG images, having to do as less as possible post processing.
She shoots with a 50mm, in Av mode.

What kind of settings will nicely enhance colors while keeping the pics realistic.

I set her in a User Mode, having contrast +1 and Color Tone +2.

Any other suggestion?

Sep 14, 2017 at 01:38 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D mk II settings to shoot Flowers JPEG

So she limits her shooting to one lens, one camera mode, no RAW, no post processing yet wants fantastic results?

I would suggest she learn a bit more about what her camera can actually do.

But in the meantime she should set her camera picture style to faithful if she wants the colours to be accurate and use an aperture small enough to get everything she needs in focus.

That is assuming the auto white balance that I am sure she uses does a decent job.

Sep 14, 2017 at 03:21 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D mk II settings to shoot Flowers JPEG

I'd agree with the use of the "faithful" picture style, and probably she should play a bit with pushing up the contrast settings too.

I agree with dhphoto though - my flower and butterfly photos need quite a lot of PP to make them look good, including local adjustments to colour, lightness, saturation, sharpening and noise reduction. Using just in-camera processing is not going to give the best results in my view. At least doing it in a studio environment gives lighting control, which can reduce the need for PP a lot if done properly.

Sep 14, 2017 at 04:13 AM
WestFalcon
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D mk II settings to shoot Flowers JPEG

I shoot flowers frequently and find the best way to get a whole bouquet in focus is to use a small f/stop like f13 or f16 and definitely use a tripod . Use a self timer on the camera to remove human vibration. Set ISO to 400 or preferably 200 . White balance is set to your light source. Use unsharp mask in post to get max sharpness. This will produce excellent shots. Your exposures at f13 may be at a half second or some slow shutter speed but it doesn't matter because you are on a tripod Use this method indoors with no wind. Good luck😀 Brian

Sep 14, 2017 at 07:33 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D mk II settings to shoot Flowers JPEG

I use Standard with the sharpness turned up almost all the way. I turn up saturation and color tone, too, on my body.

If the lighting is soft, I might turn contrast down less than usual, or leave it at 0, which is still quite a bit, imo.

On the 5D, if you didn't turn sharpness up, in jpeg, you lost a lot of detail compared to raw. Not sure if the 5DII is the same, but I'd want to turn up the sharpness.

Faithful might kill the colors, at least it does on my body, with everything at 0. Could kill sharpness, too.

Some bodies give better results in jpeg, although raw,processors vary, and could change that result.

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:02 PM
halse
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D mk II settings to shoot Flowers JPEG

I place the bouquet in a clear glass vase, put the vase in a 'box' with a white back, bottom and two sides. The back and sides are angled about 30 degrees to vertical and the sides are at oblique angles to the back. There is a diffuse daylight LED above. I typically use a 100 f/2.8 macro on a tripod. This setup shows the flowers well without shadows. I shoot RAW and post-process.

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:33 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D mk II settings to shoot Flowers JPEG

Etadam wrote:
My friends wants to use my 5D mk II to shoot bouquets of flowers (at a rather close range, in a studio).
She doesn't want to hear about raw, and will only use JPEG images, having to do as less as possible post processing.
She shoots with a 50mm, in Av mode.

What kind of settings will nicely enhance colors while keeping the pics realistic.

I set her in a User Mode, having contrast +1 and Color Tone +2.

Any other suggestion?

Does she use on-camera flash as well?

Good lighting is a major part of photography, and more important than lens or the fine detail camera settings. Let us know about her lighting setup, and more useful recommendations may follow.

Sep 22, 2017 at 10:08 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.