New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

SONY RX1R III Coming?

photray
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SONY RX1R III Coming?

Opinions about whether a SONY RX1R III model is coming? Be kind in your comments.

If needed, is it worth buying a SONY RX1R II used or at current new prices as a travel camera back up to my A7RII?

Whadya think?

Thanks.

Sep 14, 2017 at 12:08 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SONY RX1R III Coming?

I would be very surprised if there were to be an rx1riii until well after A7riii as it would likely have that sensor...

Sep 14, 2017 at 12:30 AM
ZhanMing12
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SONY RX1R III Coming?

The RX1 cycle so far seems to be trailing the A7r cycle, which means we shouldn't see one until mid 2018 at the earliest, and I wouldn't be surprised at a 2019 release.

I've been super, super happy with my RX1R II. It practically lives in my bag and accounts for more than half the photos I take these days (and I have two A7r II's). I even spent the $200 for the Sony thumb grip because it make the camera so easy to shoot one-handed.

Sep 14, 2017 at 12:36 AM
photray
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SONY RX1R III Coming?

Thank you for the comments, they make me feel good about investing in the camera now. Much appreciated!

Sep 14, 2017 at 12:40 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SONY RX1R III Coming?

About time, however Sony seems uninterested. If Sony did update the RX1 it should be a substantial improvement, considering their advanced and mature technology, which would devalue both the MKI and MKII.

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:10 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SONY RX1R III Coming?

I believe the RX1 series will continue being resolution-oriented instead of speed or sensitivity so, we may see a A7RIII before a RX1RIII.

Sep 14, 2017 at 09:58 PM
photray
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SONY RX1R III Coming?

All interesting thoughts.

I have had a Leica Q and prefer the 35 mm of the RX1R2, plus the SONY has some special cache for me. I may pick up a nice used one for travel and use with my A7RII gear.

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:09 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · SONY RX1R III Coming?

photray wrote:
Opinions about whether a SONY RX1R III model is coming? Be kind in your comments.

If needed, is it worth buying a SONY RX1R II used or at current new prices as a travel camera back up to my A7RII?

Whadya think?

Thanks.

Might be cheaper to buy a second A7R II to back up your current one for travel. As I recall, the weight savings isn't that great (I had an RX1 for a while, and while I loved the pictures I got from it, the AF was shit and it didn't feel much smaller than my current A9 setup with tiny RF lenses and an AF adapter). I'd rather not be stuck with a 35 f/2 (even one as good as the lens on the RX1) on a $3000+ camera.

Sep 15, 2017 at 09:08 PM
BastianK
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · SONY RX1R III Coming?

Has any of you long time users experienced any dust-on-sensor issues with these RX1xxx cameras?

I already had such experiences with a fixed lens cameras
(and from what I have read this seems to be more of a common problem)
and this is one of the reasons I try to not buy these anymore.

Sep 15, 2017 at 09:15 PM
photray
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · SONY RX1R III Coming?

I agree, so I got a second A7R2, which is a great camera and certainly less than the price I would have to pay my dealer for a RX1R2, which is probably too niche for what I need or want.

Sep 15, 2017 at 09:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · SONY RX1R III Coming?

BastianK wrote:
Has any of you long time users experienced any dust-on-sensor issues with these RX1xxx cameras?

I already had such experiences with a fixed lens cameras
(and from what I have read this seems to be more of a common problem)
and this is one of the reasons I try to not buy these anymore.

Bastian,
I've had issues with sensor dust with RX1 cameras including the RX1RII.
If it's not there when you buy it new, it may find its way to the sensor. (this camera is no tightly sealed)

Sep 15, 2017 at 09:54 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · SONY RX1R III Coming?

Fred Miranda wrote:
Bastian,
If it's not there when you buy it new, it may find its way to the sensor. (this camera is no tightly sealed)

Whoa. That seems like a pretty big strike against them versus an A7R, which at least I can clean.

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:41 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · SONY RX1R III Coming?

I've owned all the Rx1 iterations, and some concerns I've have for the rx1riii:

- With the increasing resolution, higher shutter speeds are needed. I could get by with 1/20 on the Rx1. With the Rx1rii I needed 1/40. If it's a 60/70 mp sensor...

-as always the fly-by-wire MF stinks and it's very annoying the camera won't hold the focus once it's turned off.

- the focus mechanism on the sonnar moves a group of elements (unit driven) and is therefore slower to focus than other lenses. I doubt the rx1riii can take full advantage of a more robust AF module it will have. The FE 35 1.4 is already faster on the A7rii than the sonnar on the Rx1riii

- as things keep getting more video centric, over hearing seem like a real problem with the rx1riii

- the rx1 sonnar build is somewhat fragile, and Sony's repair service at precision is awful.

I'd like to see less mp (don't think that will happen). A reworked rx1 with quicker af motor, better build, some weather sealing, and some type of ibis/ois with a bigger battery would be great. Make it a pinch bigger that's fine. But keep it as small as possible. Wonder if we'll ever l see that curved sensor.

Sep 16, 2017 at 12:45 AM
lightskyland
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · SONY RX1R III Coming?

I've cleaned the sensor on my RX100m2 a couple times. I imagine it's also possible with the RX1 if you know what you're doing.

Sep 16, 2017 at 12:48 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · SONY RX1R III Coming?

Arka wrote:
Might be cheaper to buy a second A7R II to back up your current one for travel. As I recall, the weight savings isn't that great (I had an RX1 for a while, and while I loved the pictures I got from it, the AF was shit and it didn't feel much smaller than my current A9 setup with tiny RF lenses and an AF adapter). I'd rather not be stuck with a 35 f/2 (even one as good as the lens on the RX1) on a $3000+ camera.

My backup camera for the last few years was an A6000. You can pick one up for just about nothing, it weighs just about nothing...but in a pinch, it can deliver good results. Uses all the same batteries, chargers, lenses etc... that the A7R2 uses...a perfect backup. I even take it out with the 35 2.8 at times I'm not really out for photography, like dinner or drinks.

Sep 16, 2017 at 01:17 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · SONY RX1R III Coming?

I'd love to see Sony come out with an RX1R concept but with the medium format sensor. I still have a Fuji 6x9 camera and love shooting with it and it's 90mm lens. I just don't see the benefit of a FF sensor camera with a fixed lens when we have many options with interchangeable lenses that are not much larger.

Sep 16, 2017 at 01:24 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · SONY RX1R III Coming?

chez wrote:
My backup camera for the last few years was an A6000. You can pick one up for just about nothing, it weighs just about nothing...but in a pinch, it can deliver good results. Uses all the same batteries, chargers, lenses etc... that the A7R2 uses...a perfect backup. I even take it out with the 35 2.8 at times I'm not really out for photography, like dinner or drinks.

A6300 plays a similar role for me.
Though I wish I had the a6500 (IBIS), but will skip that one, now that I have the a6300.

K-H.

Sep 16, 2017 at 01:30 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · SONY RX1R III Coming?

It'll be swamped by the forthcoming high end 35mm lenses, which will cover a lot more ground in niche targeting, and which now work on silent cameras not much larger than the RX1 with many more features, IBIS and better EVFs. The RX1 has held back 35mm development in FE for so long already, whether by a backroom deal with Zeiss or in the reduced sales volume on offer. It's had a good run.

Sep 16, 2017 at 03:44 AM
brick33308
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · SONY RX1R III Coming?

a completely different point of view: I bought at the same time a used RXiRii and a used Leica Q so that I could compare them. Prior to that point I felt that thee 35mm lens best suited my preferred photo genre, street shooting. After using them both for a week, I concluded that the Q was best for me. Moreover, I've come to love the Q so much that it's the only camera i use, except when I'm shooting portraits in which case I reach for my A7Rii and either Zony 55 or Batis 85.

Sep 16, 2017 at 09:17 AM
BastianK
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · SONY RX1R III Coming?

Fred Miranda wrote:
Bastian,

Thanks for telling me, this is unfortunately exactly what I expected

nehemiahphoto wrote:
I've owned all the Rx1 iterations, and some concerns I've have for the rx1riii:

- With the increasing resolution, higher shutter speeds are needed. I could get by with 1/20 on the Rx1. With the Rx1rii I needed 1/40. If it's a 60/70 mp sensor...

-as always the fly-by-wire MF stinks and it's very annoying the camera won't hold the focus once it's turned off.

- the focus mechanism on the sonnar moves a group of elements (unit driven) and is therefore slower to focus than other lenses. I doubt the rx1riii can take full advantage of a more robust AF module
...Show more
I tend to agree, but I want to add the Canon 200mm 1.8 showed me focus by wire does not have to stink.
But the focus by wire experiences Sony is giving us so far definetly stink.
The camera not even remembering the last focus position is a real bummer, too.

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:41 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password