New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              25      
       27       28       end

D850 Delivery Status?

nuclearjock
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #1 · p.26 #1 · D850 Delivery Status?

The bottom line is B&H is a big operation with lots of customers. When an item is in stock (and it usually is) their service is excellent. I'm sure they would love nothing more than to provide 5,000 customers (or however many are on their waiting list) with D850s. But they can't sell cameras they don't have, and I know from experience that Nikon is not very forthcoming with delivery information, not only in the D850's case.

I do not agree however with them not providing information they DO have such as how many cameras they have received how often or what one's position is on the waiting list.

Many smaller operations have benefited from this fiasco in the form of unhappy customers who they have made happy. Because of similar situations, my loyalty is and has been with District Camera in Va. Their personal approach to doing business (Eldar) has made me a customer for life. I think it's difficult for the bigger stores to accomplish this personal approach.

I was on the fence about the D850 already owning a D810 and D500. I made the decision to purchase the D850 late in the game (relatively speaking) and reading about the long preorder lines that had already formed, the situation looked rather bleak. But Eldar came to the rescue and I was able to secure a D850 when others who placed orders with the big shops far earlier than me were and are still waiting.

I've never dealt with Roberts or Murphy's before but they sound like stores similar to District Camera. In the end, the customer has the cash and hence should be able to call the shots. It's nice to see hard earned money being spent at stores where customers are satisfied. This is free enterprise and as a result of B&H's lack of transparency they've lost some customers, maybe more than if they would have if they'd been up front with them.

My $00.02, just say'n, and all that.

Nov 07, 2017 at 09:15 PM
NotASpeck

Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #2 · p.26 #2 · D850 Delivery Status?

ariel777 wrote:
Service Photo in Baltimore just received a shipment; I placed my order and it will go out today. Excellent resource....reliable, dependable and upfront.

Looking them up online, I see they have a $200 non-refundable deposit for pre-orders. It doesn't matter to me if I might get a D850 over the phone right now -- I don't do business with outfits that try to lock you in like that. I'm sure they have their reasons -- so do I.

Chris

Nov 07, 2017 at 09:26 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.26 #3 · p.26 #3 · D850 Delivery Status?

NotASpeck wrote:
Looking them up online, I see they have a $200 non-refundable deposit for pre-orders. It doesn't matter to me if I might get a D850 over the phone right now -- I don't do business with outfits that try to lock you in like that. I'm sure they have their reasons -- so do I.

Chris

So you rather place 10 pre-orders at different stores and cancel 9 if you have one.

Nov 07, 2017 at 09:48 PM
Chris Court
• • •
p.26 #4 · p.26 #4 · D850 Delivery Status?

Do these smaller places charge sales tax for out of state orders?

C

Nov 07, 2017 at 09:50 PM
NotASpeck

p.26 #5 · p.26 #5 · D850 Delivery Status?

Chris Dees wrote:
So you rather place 10 pre-orders at different stores and cancel 9 if you have one.

That's not a reasonable interpretation of my position (and no, I don't have 10 orders of D850s).

If you want a characterisation of my position in case it wasn't already clear to you: "Buy only from us -- if you buy one elsewhere sooner, you're out the $200" <-- that is what does not set well with me.

You are free to disagree with my feelings, but please don't put words in my mouth (state my position with your own words that are not in any way accurate).

As long as we're talking about 10 separate retailers: pick 10 and find out how many will keep your deposit. All of the various retailers I deal with only take 100% refundable deposits.

Chris

Nov 07, 2017 at 09:57 PM
voidsherpa
• •
p.26 #6 · p.26 #6 · D850 Delivery Status?

nuclearjock wrote:
I do not agree however with them not providing information they DO have such as how many cameras they have received how often or what one's position is on the waiting list.

My same thoughts. But they still are and will be my go to for online purchases. Oddly enough the only camera store I'm not a fan of is Roberts in Indy which would be my local store.

Nov 07, 2017 at 09:58 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.26 #7 · p.26 #7 · D850 Delivery Status?

Murphys no, most don't by law unless they have a legal address in your state.

Chris Court wrote:

C

Nov 07, 2017 at 10:30 PM
TooManyShots
• • •
p.26 #8 · p.26 #8 · D850 Delivery Status?

Chris Court wrote:

C

No....mostly.

Nov 07, 2017 at 10:30 PM
voidsherpa
• •
p.26 #9 · p.26 #9 · D850 Delivery Status?

TooManyShots wrote:
No....mostly.

But you should still pay your use tax!

Nov 07, 2017 at 10:43 PM
ariel777
• • •
p.26 #10 · p.26 #10 · D850 Delivery Status?

That’s news to me. I was on a waiting list with no upfront payment, was notified it was in stock, called, gave them my info, and received confirmation of the expected delivery date.

Nov 07, 2017 at 10:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.26 #11 · p.26 #11 · D850 Delivery Status?

😇... I'm sure EVERYONE of us do...

voidsherpa wrote:
But you should still pay your use tax!

Nov 07, 2017 at 11:03 PM
TooManyShots
• • •
p.26 #12 · p.26 #12 · D850 Delivery Status?

Blakehfreeman wrote:
😇... I'm sure EVERYONE of us do...

Hehehehehehehe..........billionaires have offshore accounts and avoiding paying taxes (Paradise Paper). Sure, us little people must do our parts paying taxes. The higher the better....wink wink..

Nov 07, 2017 at 11:16 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.26 #13 · p.26 #13 · D850 Delivery Status?

NotASpeck wrote:
That's not a reasonable interpretation of my position (and no, I don't have 10 orders of D850s).

If you want a characterisation of my position in case it wasn't already clear to you: "Buy only from us -- if you buy one elsewhere sooner, you're out the $200" <-- that is what does not set well with me.

You are free to disagree with my feelings, but please don't put words in my mouth (state my position with your own words that are not in any way accurate).

As long as we're talking about 10 separate retailers: pick 10 and find
...Show more

It's nothing about feelings it's more about behaviour.
It doesn't matter if it's 10 or just a few, the principle is the same.
I find it quite normal to do a small downpayment if I order something of high(er) value from a company.
If you place a pre-order the company orders it from Nikon and the company may expect you take it from them when it arrives. How about cars? You go to several dealers and pre-order?

Let's say we agree we disagree.

Nov 08, 2017 at 08:09 AM
shayray

p.26 #14 · p.26 #14 · D850 Delivery Status?

Just got another backordered email from b&h.....

AND an email from Murphy’s that they got some and shipping mine out today!
I just waitlisted with them 2 days ago!!!

Thanks for the tips blake!

Nov 08, 2017 at 03:59 PM
NotASpeck

p.26 #15 · p.26 #15 · D850 Delivery Status?

Chris Dees wrote:
I find it quite normal to do a small downpayment if I order something of high(er) value from a company.

So do I have. I have a D850 deposit with one company and it's for more than just a couple of hundred dollars.

But it's 100% refundable.

Chris

Nov 08, 2017 at 04:06 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.26 #16 · p.26 #16 · D850 Delivery Status?

NotASpeck wrote:
So do I have. I have a D850 deposit with one company and it's for more than just a couple of hundred dollars.
But it's 100% refundable.
Chris

Yet there are retailers perfectly willing to take your order with no deposit or down payment at all.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Nov 08, 2017 at 04:13 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.26 #17 · p.26 #17 · D850 Delivery Status?

...and not tell you one piece of information and deflect any semblance of responsibility. As an aside, Henry is right, Murphys Camera doesn't require a deposit and got me my camera in under ten days 👍🏻.

henryp wrote:
Yet there are retailers perfectly willing to take your order with no deposit or down payment at all.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Nov 08, 2017 at 04:42 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.26 #18 · p.26 #18 · D850 Delivery Status?

Glad I could help! Mine comes today! 😬🙌🏻

shayray wrote:
Just got another backordered email from b&h.....

AND an email from Murphy’s that they got some and shipping mine out today!
I just waitlisted with them 2 days ago!!!

Thanks for the tips blake!

Nov 08, 2017 at 04:43 PM
butlerkid
• • •
p.26 #19 · p.26 #19 · D850 Delivery Status?

And mine comes today (from Murphy's!) also!

Nov 08, 2017 at 05:25 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.26 #20 · p.26 #20 · D850 Delivery Status?

butlerkid wrote:
And mine comes today (from Murphy's!) also!

Just got it from Murphy's Camera. Pretty awesome. Now I need some time to go take pictures with it.

Thanks again for the tips Blake!

Nov 08, 2017 at 09:25 PM
       27       28       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

27       28       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password