New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              10      
       12              29       30       end

Archive 2017 · D850 Delivery Status?

charles354
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #1 · p.11 #1 · D850 Delivery Status?

Even Canon users are buying the D850.

Sep 21, 2017 at 02:59 PM
Colin F
• • • •
p.11 #2 · p.11 #2 · D850 Delivery Status?

charles354 wrote:
Even Canon users are buying the D850.

I'm presently giving much thought to switching teams due to the D850. At times I can talk myself into it (though the thought of trying to sell all my Canon stuff is very unappealing), and other times I feel that I should just be content with my 5D4 and Tamron 150-600 G2 (for birds). There's also the possibility that Canon might come out with their own 200-600, so it's very difficult to decide. The cost of the battery grip and the XQD cards is also unappealing. Gah.

Sep 21, 2017 at 03:14 PM
aut0maticdan
• •
p.11 #3 · p.11 #3 · D850 Delivery Status?

ckcarr wrote:
Ah yes...

And my butler shall retrieve mine when it gets here!

lol. he isn't MY doorman. He works for the building. There are around 1000 residents here. Maybe more. His name is Mike. He's the man.

I walked in and there was a mountain of boxes from UPS. I don't like to be a pest like some of the jerks that live here.

Anyway. he just e-mailed, so right after I finish my caviar, I'll go grab it.

Sep 21, 2017 at 03:23 PM
Jim Turner
• •
p.11 #4 · p.11 #4 · D850 Delivery Status?

I am also curious--anyone have a timetable to share?

Sep 21, 2017 at 03:26 PM
aut0maticdan
• •
p.11 #5 · p.11 #5 · D850 Delivery Status?

It has been mostly rumors and 2nd-hand from someone's camera shop guy, but they've been pretty good.

There was a shipment in early this week and I've heard another one for 1st-week October. Seems to be every 2-weeks, maybe?

Sep 21, 2017 at 03:28 PM
Ross Martin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #6 · p.11 #6 · D850 Delivery Status?

Jim Turner wrote:
I am also curious--anyone have a timetable to share?

I've been on a pre-order waiting list since August 25 or so from Service Photo in MD and the owner Burke Siem has sent out several email updates throughout this process. Around 9/7 was the first allocation, and the 2nd was supposed to be 9/15 but was delayed a bit and seems to have hit most stores on 9/19. Burke says that Nikon told him the 3rd wave will be around October 5.

Ross

Sep 21, 2017 at 03:56 PM
Jim Turner
• •
p.11 #7 · p.11 #7 · D850 Delivery Status?

SeattleDucks wrote:
I've been on a pre-order waiting list since August 25 or so from Service Photo in MD and the owner Burke Siem has sent out several email updates throughout this process. Around 9/7 was the first allocation, and the 2nd was supposed to be 9/15 but was delayed a bit and seems to have hit most stores on 9/19. Burke says that Nikon told him the 3rd wave will be around October 5.

Ross

Thanks for the update Ross.

Sep 21, 2017 at 04:47 PM
CritterRacing
• • •
p.11 #8 · p.11 #8 · D850 Delivery Status?

a big thank you to forum member Nathan Padgett for selling me one of his . i can sleep now.

Sep 21, 2017 at 08:32 PM
CritterRacing
• • •
p.11 #9 · p.11 #9 · D850 Delivery Status?

took a few days and a call to my credit card company but i got my refund this morning from buydig.com.

Sep 25, 2017 at 06:05 AM
gdsf2
• • • •
p.11 #10 · p.11 #10 · D850 Delivery Status?

I cancelled my pre order from B&H (not because anything they did wrong) so anyone waiting on one from them ordered after 8/24 at noon, you are welcome

Sep 25, 2017 at 09:52 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.11 #11 · p.11 #11 · D850 Delivery Status?

Colin F wrote:
I'm presently giving much thought to switching teams due to the D850. At times I can talk myself into it (though the thought of trying to sell all my Canon stuff is very unappealing), and other times I feel that I should just be content with my 5D4 and Tamron 150-600 G2 (for birds). There's also the possibility that Canon might come out with their own 200-600, so it's very difficult to decide. The cost of the battery grip and the XQD cards is also unappealing. Gah.

Not sure if you're following the other threads, but regarding the grip, the cost should be $300 for everything once the third parties have all their stuff out, using the D810 accessories

In the meantime, you can buy a quality third party charger and battery and save $370 USD right off the bat, bringing the cost down to $570 or so.

As for your dilemma, for me, it would come down to how long you want to wait. You're looking at year 2020 for a possible 5DM4 update and still won't match the D850 in some of the most important areas unless Canon lowers it's protective wall around 1-series technology. I'd guess the chances of that happening are slim to none, especially after seeing what they did with the 6DII. I also wouldn't get too hung up on a lens that doesn't exist yet

XQD cost isn't that bad, and your probably already own SD cards. A top of the line 64GB XQD (good for around 1,200 D850 photos) is around $100 or $110 with a reader. Prices will probably drop too, after some of the D850 hype subsides.

The hassle factor is obviously something you need to decide on yourself. Personally I've always told myself I would switch systems (to anything) if I felt the change would make a meaningful difference to my photography with regards to more keepers, time savings, better prints, better files for clients, etc.

Sep 25, 2017 at 03:36 PM
lukemeup
• • • •
p.11 #12 · p.11 #12 · D850 Delivery Status?

I got lucky I guess - I called Camera Canada (in Ontario) on Wednesday afternoon. They had a couple D850 in stock. Shipped on Thursday morning - it's out for delivery in Vancouver, BC right now.

Sep 25, 2017 at 03:55 PM
jaybird555
• • •
p.11 #13 · p.11 #13 · D850 Delivery Status?

I just received a confirmation from Special Cameras And Merchandise (S.C.A.M.) and mine will be here.....soon.

Sep 25, 2017 at 04:36 PM
Colin F
• • • •
p.11 #14 · p.11 #14 · D850 Delivery Status?

CanadaMark wrote:
Not sure if you're following the other threads, but regarding the grip, the cost should be $300 for everything once the third parties have all their stuff out, using the D810 accessories

In the meantime, you can buy a quality third party charger and battery and save $370 USD right off the bat, bringing the cost down to $570 or so.

As for your dilemma, for me, it would come down to how long you want to wait. You're looking at year 2020 for a possible 5DM4 update and still won't match the D850 in some of the most important areas
...Show more

Thanks chief. Yes, it's been a hand-wringing time. The cost to switch from Canon to Nikon is considerable - selling all lenses & two bodies at a loss, and buying the new Nikon stuff at full pop - plus tax - really adds up. If the 5DIV weren't as good as it is (albeit with lesser specs than the D850), it would be easier to decide, but it does pretty well, especially for a non-professional not earning a living with it.

I'm also still trying to decide whether I'll be happy long term using the Tamron 150-600 G2 instead of a 500 f/4 II. I've recently had the opportunity to shoot some birds at 300-400mm, and those images are great, but yesterday I was out shooting a Northern Pygmy Owl, and all shots were at 600mm (with many needing cropping), and that's when the lens' weakness appears.

Must. Win. Lottery.

Sep 25, 2017 at 04:46 PM
Bastian Bleu
• •
p.11 #15 · p.11 #15 · D850 Delivery Status?

I ordered mine last Monday via the Nikon store and then used my NPS delivery fancy stuff. Just got an email this morning from NPS saying it was ready to process. Once I replied and said I was ready to accept delivery I got another UPS notice a few hours later saying to expect a shipment tomorrow.

Sep 25, 2017 at 06:26 PM
Artisador
• • • •
p.11 #16 · p.11 #16 · D850 Delivery Status?

Have a pre-order in at B&H - they said via email and chat that the camera is still backordered and I pre-ordered on August 27.

Just for S&G I called Adorama, and the guy said if I ordered today that they 800+ orders to fill before I would get mine. Amazing.

Looks like it's going to be a long wait.

/rt

Sep 26, 2017 at 01:13 PM
this is me
• • •
p.11 #17 · p.11 #17 · D850 Delivery Status?

I put my name on the preoder list at a local camera shop(Huntsphotoandvideo.com) the day after the camera was announced. Camera arrive last Friday(09/22). Haven't been able to use it much.

Sep 26, 2017 at 03:36 PM
deuxcent

p.11 #18 · p.11 #18 · D850 Delivery Status?

Same story as told by others. Buydig, an eBay "powerseller," claimed to have the Nikon D850 in stock. I bought it and paid for overnight shipping. The next day, no camera, no shipping notice — just an offer to buy an extended warranty on the camera. Gee, thanks. Finally I found out there was no stock of the D850 at Buydig. None. At my request, Buydig canceled the order. Then the company took SEVEN DAYS to refund the almost three and a half thousand dollars to my credit card. When I complained, the excuse was that it had been a Jewish holiday.

I'd previously had a couple of good experiences with Buydig, but this cheeky non-performance left a bad taste in my mouth.

Sep 26, 2017 at 08:24 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
p.11 #19 · p.11 #19 · D850 Delivery Status?

Good local camera shops are a great resource in this kind of situation. I called Pitman Photo in Miami a few days after the D850 was announced and was #3 on their preorder list. My camera showed up this Tuesday. No muss, no fuss.

Sep 26, 2017 at 08:28 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.11 #20 · p.11 #20 · D850 Delivery Status?

No delivery. Didn't order one. Maybe the stork will deliver one since they no longer deliver babies.

Sep 26, 2017 at 08:32 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.