FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              14       15       end

Sony FE 35mm 1.4 VS. Voigtlander 35mm 1.7 Big Bronco Test

GMPhotography
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Sony FE 35mm 1.4 VS. Voigtlander 35mm 1.7 Big Bronco Test

I wanted to test it anyway without the filter just to see if I got a good copy which looks like I did. Problem is the big thread we have you get lost on what was done or not done yet. I was just going through all my filter holder parts. Geez I got a bunch . Lol

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:08 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Sony FE 35mm 1.4 VS. Voigtlander 35mm 1.7 Big Bronco Test

Fred Miranda wrote:
Another vote for great sharpness wide open. I would say great contrast and good CA correction as well.
Agree not the best sunstar and flare resistance.

If I could combine my Loxia's sunstar rendering and build with the FE 35/2.8's optical performance, I would very happy.

When I refer to sharpness wide open for the 35/2.8, I mean across the frame sharpness. The center 2/3'rds is plenty sharp for candids @f/2.8, but no way would you take a city-scape at night at f/2.8 or f/4.

Even if I get a 35/1.4 ZM or 35/1.7 VC the 35/2.8 will not be going anywhere. It has very similar characteristics to my 45/2.8AI-P Nikkor for sharpness wide open and stopped down (and also flare/sunstars) - the 45/2.8P functions similarly on my D800 as does the 35/2.8 on my A7RII - it's the full time body cap!

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:18 PM
BastianK
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Sony FE 35mm 1.4 VS. Voigtlander 35mm 1.7 Big Bronco Test

Charlie N wrote:
little disappointed to see that the T-stops of the zm 35 f1.4 is basically 1.8, and the CV 35 is f2, based on the loxia being f2. The FLE looks to be T1.4 or close to it.

Hmh, where did you get that from?

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:24 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Sony FE 35mm 1.4 VS. Voigtlander 35mm 1.7 Big Bronco Test

jhinkey wrote:
When I refer to sharpness wide open for the 35/2.8, I mean across the frame sharpness. The center 2/3'rds is plenty sharp for candids @f/2.8, but no way would you take a city-scape at night at f/2.8 or f/4.

Even if I get a 35/1.4 ZM or 35/1.7 VC the 35/2.8 will not be going anywhere. It has very similar characteristics to my 45/2.8AI-P Nikkor for sharpness wide open and stopped down (and also flare/sunstars) - the 45/2.8P functions similarly on my D800 as does the 35/2.8 on my A7RII - it's the full time body cap!

But which lens does much better than the 35/2.8 ZA "at f/2.8" at mid and extreme corners? The ZM 35/1.4 certainly does not and I very much doubt the CV 35/1.7 will accomplish that on the Sony either.

I agree that the 35/2.8 has flaws but in my view, resolution across the frame is not one of them. Contrast is also pretty high unless shooting in backlit conditions. Having said that, I definitely see more 'presence' due to higher micro-contrast from the ZM and CV 35s.

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:25 PM
TheEyesHaveIt
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Sony FE 35mm 1.4 VS. Voigtlander 35mm 1.7 Big Bronco Test

One plus for the Loxia it seems is you don't have to fiddle with any front filter modifications. I'm a photographer, not a mechanic Or maybe the "pretty good, at least it is sharp" FE 35 2.8 is the better option in the end?

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:29 PM
Charlie N
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Sony FE 35mm 1.4 VS. Voigtlander 35mm 1.7 Big Bronco Test

BastianK wrote:
Hmh, where did you get that from?

I just compared shutter speeds of one of the bokeh tests, the one with the fencing.

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:36 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Sony FE 35mm 1.4 VS. Voigtlander 35mm 1.7 Big Bronco Test

BastianK wrote:
You know I already did this?

It is all in here https://phillipreeve.net/blog/35mm-comparison-voigtlander-zeiss-leica/.

Well, not fully, unfortunately. Takes stopping down to f/5.6 to get rid of it.
Here are some more comparisons with/without front filter:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/32534945762/in/album-72157679814121006/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/32610291470/in/album-72157679814121006/

I missed that test!!
It looks like they will be very similar when stopping down to f/7.1 or f/8. The Loxia does worse wide-open. On your comparison chart, it goes from f/2.8 to f/8. Did you see what happens at f/5.6?

My impression when testing these lenses and also looking at your chart is that the ZM 35/1.4 is outstanding at f/5.6 although I still see some softness in the mid-frame. The CV 35/1.7 seems to be equally good at f/5.6 but with better mid-frame (when compared to the others). The Loxia seems to need an extra stop to be able to compete.

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:40 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Sony FE 35mm 1.4 VS. Voigtlander 35mm 1.7 Big Bronco Test

Fred why I bought it was I think Phillip said better mid frame on the CV. ZM was weak there. What I'm hoping it's better than Loxia more wide open but equal or better stopped down with the filter. That's the goal

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:46 PM
BastianK
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Sony FE 35mm 1.4 VS. Voigtlander 35mm 1.7 Big Bronco Test

Charlie N wrote:
I just compared shutter speeds of one of the bokeh tests, the one with the fencing.

You shouldn't read too much into that.
With the huge vignetting these lenses show the exposure metering is not giving the same result with every one of these lenses,
so I might have slightly adjusted exposure in post to match each other (I can check later).
I remember the shots of the Leica being darker ooc than those of the others.

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:46 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Sony FE 35mm 1.4 VS. Voigtlander 35mm 1.7 Big Bronco Test

Question with filter . Curved side facing out or in

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BastianK
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Sony FE 35mm 1.4 VS. Voigtlander 35mm 1.7 Big Bronco Test

Fred Miranda wrote:
I missed that test!!
It looks like they will be very similar when stopping down to f/7.1 or f/8. The Loxia does worse wide-open. On your comparison chart, it goes from f/2.8 to f/8. Did you see what happens at f/5.6?

My impression when testing these lenses and also looking at your chart is that the ZM 35/1.4 is outstanding at f/5.6 although I still see some softness in the mid-frame. The CV 35/1.7 seems to be equally good at f/5.6 but with better mid-frame (when compared to the others). The Loxia seems to need an extra stop to be
...Show more
For many scenes I took also shots at f/4.0 and f/5.6.
If there is interest in this I can upload them somewhere.

Comparing VM+5m and ZM+5m and Loxia35:
Loxia wide open kinda sucks if you are after resolution. Still sucks at f/4.0 in that regard.
ZM is very good at f/2.8 even in the corners, but the midframe just isn't. It is the best of the bunch at f/4.0 though.
If I had been after that, I would have certainly kept the ZM.
VM shows some SA in the corners (not as much as Loxia though) until about f/5.6.
At f/4.0 VM and Loxia have similar corners, but the area before the corners is much better with the VM.

Wide open the VM has the most even performance, it is the only lens of these I dare to use wide open
for something like a cityscape or astrophotography.
I heavily prefer a steady loss of sharpness towards the corners to a midzone dip, the VM+5m was the only lens behaving like this.
It does not show Sigma Art 35mm 1.4 performance in the corners (especially regarding coma) but it does also not come with the Sigma Art bulk.
Good enough for me at f/1.7 with 5m filter, and my good enough bar is set pretty high ^^

Edit: now that I have access to my shots from these comparisons I tried to further clarify some parts of this post.

Edited on Sep 14, 2017 at 06:23 PM · View previous versions

Sep 14, 2017 at 02:55 PM
BastianK
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Sony FE 35mm 1.4 VS. Voigtlander 35mm 1.7 Big Bronco Test

Charlie N wrote:

I checked out those shots in my Lightroom library again.
None of the fence shots has received any boost in exposure afterwards.
And I agree the FLE looks a bit brighter than the ZM, taking into account the different shutter speeeds.
But this is the only set where the camera chose a different exposure time for ZM compared to the FLE.
So it might also be just a change in the lighting situation.
With screwing and unscrewing the filters these comparisons take quite some time, this can easily happen.
In the other sets exposure time as well as histograms are a very good match, you can check for yourself.

The Loxia is darker in pretty much any set though (mixed that up with the FLE in my last post).
I think the electronic contacts have some influence on the exposure the camera chooses.
In my later comparisons I made sure there is no electronic contact between Loxia and camera.

As said, if anyone is interested in the Raw files tell me which ones and I will upload them.

Sep 14, 2017 at 06:04 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Sony FE 35mm 1.4 VS. Voigtlander 35mm 1.7 Big Bronco Test

DavidBM wrote:
CV indeed sharp in the centre, but even at f4 and f5.6 it seems to have a fair bit of astigmatism in the corners; sharpish but in that wonky astigmatic way whereas the ZA looks great. Interesting to see if that goes away with the 5m

That's one difference between the CV and ZM 35s. The former shows astigmatism towards the corner while the ZM seems less astigmatic with both sagittal/tangential lines closer together.
Even without the 5m front lens, if I focus on the very edges, they will be sharp wide open for the ZM. The front lens is merely correcting field curvature.

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:37 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Sony FE 35mm 1.4 VS. Voigtlander 35mm 1.7 Big Bronco Test

ITS GOT SHIMS

So took the mount off which you really don't have to do. Just unscrew the rear element and there are 3 shims 2 Gold and 1 silver. Silver is thinner. SO No need for special adapters

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:42 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Sony FE 35mm 1.4 VS. Voigtlander 35mm 1.7 Big Bronco Test

Until I get the front filter I don't know how many shims I need to remove but Im guessing 1 gold and 1 silver. Now the rear element has slots for a spanner wrench which you may not need either if you can grab the rear element and just twist it counter clock wise it will loosen off

So bloggers , reviewers update you sites.

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:49 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Sony FE 35mm 1.4 VS. Voigtlander 35mm 1.7 Big Bronco Test

GMPhotography wrote:
ITS GOT SHIMS

So took the mount off which you really don't have to do. Just unscrew the rear element and there are 3 shims 2 Gold and 1 silver. Silver is thinner. SO No need for special adapters

That's great news Guy!
Definitely a different design to the CV Ultron 28/2 which does not have any accessible shims.

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:50 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Sony FE 35mm 1.4 VS. Voigtlander 35mm 1.7 Big Bronco Test

Exactly Fred. Remember I tried with the 28mm Ultron

This is great news

So if anyone ordered adapters you can cancel them.

Now the front filter. I was asked where to get that so let me get that link. I ordered the last one in stock today but more coming.

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:53 PM
BastianK
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Sony FE 35mm 1.4 VS. Voigtlander 35mm 1.7 Big Bronco Test

GMPhotography wrote:
ITS GOT SHIMS

Are you sure these shims have an effect on the flange focal distance?
I am not entirely sure about how the lens is built, but if these shims are between the rear group and the front group they might have another effect.
But maybe I got this wrong, so a few more photos would be helpful to convince me opening mine :-)

(would love to blow the dust off my VM-E close focus adapter...)

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:56 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Sony FE 35mm 1.4 VS. Voigtlander 35mm 1.7 Big Bronco Test

You can get coated or uncoated

P/N: SLB-50-5000P (uncoated) $ 51.50 ea. 7 pcs. in stock for immediate shipment
P/N: SLB-50-5000PM (visible coating 400-700nm) $ 95.00 ea. 1 pc. in stock up to 7 pcs. more in 2 weeks

I got the coated one in stock

here is the website and just search on that part number

http://www.global-optosigma.com/en_us/

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:57 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Sony FE 35mm 1.4 VS. Voigtlander 35mm 1.7 Big Bronco Test

Bastian like the ZM if you pulled shims in the ZM 35mm rear element just like this it pulls the element closer into the lens itself so yes like the ZM it should act the same. The ZM had 2 sets of shims. On the 25mm I just pulled from the rear element and was very adjustable with regards to infinity. I think I remember on the ZM 25 rear element I pulled 1 gold and 1 silver. I just put it back together until I get the front filter than I will see what shims to pull.

But the design at least on the CV 35mm mimics the ZM lenses

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:59 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password