Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Another tripod question.. RRS/Gitzo owners please chime in!

ATX353

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Another tripod question.. RRS/Gitzo owners please chime in!

Hello folks,

I'm a new member here, and I am also pretty new to photography. I mainly photograph landscapes, cityscapes, and nightscapes. My first tripod was the Gitzo Traveler Series 2 (GT2545T) with the Ball Head (GH1382QD). First of all, I love the Gitzo, it's sturdy and lightweight. However, I wanted something that was a little bit taller than 55 inches (ball head included), and I wanted to stay away from relying on the center column for the sake of stability. Since a majority of my landscape photographs and nightscape photos require a longer exposure, I thought that I would look at the RRS TVC24L, and just use the Gitzo head that I currently have with it. Well, I received it today and like all RRS products that I have experienced, it seems to be very well made. My concerns are the following and please forgive my ignorance as I am still pretty new here and to photography.

1. Rigidity: It seems like when you tap the RRS legs, the vibrations seem to be more pronounced and carry longer than my Gitzo. I'm not sure if this "test" is even valid or is something to be concerned about. Does anyone here have any input?

2. Does anyone have both the Gitzo GT2545T and the RRS TVC24L, in which they could provide some of their own experiences?

3. Would I be better off going with the TVC34L for my needs and uses? I realize that this may be over-kill for a landscape photographer, but I suppose it may be better to have more and need it than not. However, I also realize the TVC24L is a bit lighter than the TVC34L when the TVC34L is paired with the BH-55.

4. Any other input/advice would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Sep 13, 2017 at 08:35 PM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Another tripod question.. RRS/Gitzo owners please chime in!

I would run some tests between your Gitzo (if you still have it) and your new RRS. Shoot some long exposures and then pixel peep. I've found that for longer exposures measuring in the seconds, tripod dampening and rigidity don't matter as much unless you're in really windy conditions. Shoot mirror lock-up if you use a DSLR, or better yet in live-view. If you have an electronic first curtain shutter, employ it. Then you've taken the camera out of the equation and only have to worry about environmental factors. I've found that in general, I can get away with way less tripod using a mirrorless camera (Sony in my case). If there's a lot of wind anticipated, just tie some paracord to the bottom hook and loop it with your foot or a heavy bag for extra stability.

I don't think you'll gain anything for landscape going from an RRS 2-series to 3-series. I'd only get one if I was shooting with big glass on a gimbal. My friend has an RRS 3-series and it's a beautiful beast, but I'd never carry it around for landscape type photography with anything other than large format cameras.

Here's my tripod family below. I rarely need to use the big Gitzo 3-series, and just picked up a Gitzo 1-series traveler as a smaller alternative to my Feisol.

DSC05907.jpg by uscmatt99, on Flickr

DSC05910.jpg by uscmatt99, on Flickr

Sep 14, 2017 at 03:31 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Another tripod question.. RRS/Gitzo owners please chime in!

I have the RRS 24L and a Gitzo GT2540, so not your exact setup, but pretty close.

Of the two, the RRS is the more rigid when I put a decent load on it (D800E + 70-200), though with a light load they are comparable.

I keep them both (the RRS with the RRS BH-55, and the Gitzo with an RRS BH-40) as they fit different niches. The Gitzo is for long or overnight hiking trips and walking around town with (when I want to be a bit more inconspicuous) and the RRS for everything else. Given a choice, I almost always grab the RRS. It's just so solid, and the extra height gives me more options.

Unless you are using big glass (400/2.8, 500/4.0, etc.) I think I'd stay with the 24L.

All that said, every time I use the Gitzo I get reminded what a nice piece of gear it is. Can't see myself selling it as it is so light, stable and easy to carry around. But it can't replace the RRS. Tall, relatively light, stable, and handles wind well.

Peace,

Todd

Sep 14, 2017 at 04:36 PM
ATX353

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Another tripod question.. RRS/Gitzo owners please chime in!

Thank you Todd. That's the feedback I was looking for! I suppose the RRS only has what I figure to be extended vibrations when it is full extended and even then it does seem to handle it well.

Sep 14, 2017 at 05:18 PM
ATX353

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Another tripod question.. RRS/Gitzo owners please chime in!

@uscmatt99 Thank you for your response, how do you like your Feisol in comparison to the Gitzo?

Sep 14, 2017 at 05:19 PM
kdphotography
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Another tripod question.. RRS/Gitzo owners please chime in!

Both Gitzo and RRS are top line offerings for tripod legs. That being said, I've since shifted over to RRS with a TVC-24 for travel and a TVC-33 which is my preferred choice when size/weight is not a consideration. The TVC-33 has a wider spread and is more stable.

Ken

Sep 14, 2017 at 06:12 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Another tripod question.. RRS/Gitzo owners please chime in!

I only have a RRS tripod - the TVC33s, but to me it seems that your weak link is the gitzo ballhead...
when I was researching ballheads, never found theirs in top reviews - not that they are awful, but likely not as good as a few other brands available these days.
Yes, I noticed a difference when different ball heads with the RRS ( I have the AS cube, acratech gps and Markins Q20)

Sep 14, 2017 at 06:24 PM
ATX353

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Another tripod question.. RRS/Gitzo owners please chime in!

@bacalhau , interesting, I guess I haven't seen those reviews, just one saying it was good. The reason why I didn't opt for the BH40, was that it seemed odd that the head was only good for 18lb, while the TVC legs are good for 40lb, and the gitzo was good for 26lb. Appreciate your input, thank you!

Sep 14, 2017 at 06:30 PM
ATX353

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Another tripod question.. RRS/Gitzo owners please chime in!

kdphotography wrote:
Both Gitzo and RRS are top line offerings for tripod legs. That being said, I've since shifted over to RRS with a TVC-24 for travel and a TVC-33 which is my preferred choice when size/weight is not a consideration. The TVC-33 has a wider spread and is more stable.

Ken

Thank you Ken.

Sep 14, 2017 at 06:32 PM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Another tripod question.. RRS/Gitzo owners please chime in!

ATX353 wrote:
@uscmatt99@ Thank you for your response, how do you like your Feisol in comparison to the Gitzo?

The Feisol is a great tripod. The only time stability was an issue was while I was shooting in sustained winds off the coast of the big island of Hawaii. It was enough to blow the tripod over, and I'm not sure the Gitzo 3-series would have fared much better. I had no spike on the tripod at the time.

My Feisol is a 3441-T which has the "tournament" legs from the 3442 and a smaller diameter spider. It's one of the first sets of anti-rotation locks Feisol released. My issue with the locks is that they are more finicky to service than Gitzo G-locks, and aren't as smooth in operation. The center column is getting sticky to adjust as well. That said, it is significantly lighter than my Gitzo 3541LS even with the Markins hub, pretty impressive as it sits just as high. It also packs a bit smaller, but not small enough to go straight into a carry-on luggage at just over 19". That's where the Gitzo 1555T shines.

Sep 14, 2017 at 06:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Another tripod question.. RRS/Gitzo owners please chime in!

Bacalhau wrote:
I only have a RRS tripod - the TVC33s, but to me it seems that your weak link is the gitzo ballhead...
when I was researching ballheads, never found theirs in top reviews - not that they are awful, but likely not as good as a few other brands available these days.
Yes, I noticed a difference when different ball heads with the RRS ( I have the AS cube, acratech gps and Markins Q20)

I would say you are a good fit for the AS cube.....manfrotto has geared heads, although some users report issues with both models.
The cube would fit your photographic interests, but....you have to set your smartphone to dictate in low volume while you are sleeping the following " pay once - cry one"

there a few other options, like the KPS T5 and the new AS P0 hybrid a bit less expensive, but you can go very well witha RRS BH55, Markins Q20, othe Arca swiss heads just to name a few...- plenty of reviews on ball heads on the web.
SAG will be your main issue, you you require precision, long exposures, and use heavy lenses - don't compromise on gear unless you are willing to accept compromised results....

Sep 14, 2017 at 07:47 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Another tripod question.. RRS/Gitzo owners please chime in!

i own the tvc33, tvc24 and tqc/tfc14 and their requisite heads. the use them of course for various situations. i have gone through my historic search for "the best". its ver for me. i travel by plane, train and automobile so i choose what i can use with the related travel and gear.

the shots below were done using a D7200 body, 150/2.8 macro, 16-80/2.8-4 lens and a RRS TFC14 w/BH30 head. there is methodology in using a tripod. its not an accessory but a tool of composition it is.

NIKON D7200    150.0 mm f/2.8 lens    150mm    f/16.0    30s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D7200    150.0 mm f/2.8 lens    150mm    f/16.0    30s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D7200    16.0-80.0 mm f/2.8-4.0 lens    55mm    3s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Sep 14, 2017 at 07:51 PM
ATX353

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Another tripod question.. RRS/Gitzo owners please chime in!

Fantastic shots @sjms, in particular the waterfall.

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:10 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Another tripod question.. RRS/Gitzo owners please chime in!

thank you. got quite a few more like that at other locations. the other two were a demonstration

the tripod used was their lightest and the head was their second lightest. not a fan of the BH25

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:16 PM
ATX353

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Another tripod question.. RRS/Gitzo owners please chime in!

@sjms, I figured! With the BH30, what is the biggest lens you go with? I am guessing nothing too big, maybe more stuff for landscape? I wonder if indeed, the BH40 is actually capable of more than 18LB, as I have seen many say that RRS is fairly reserved about their limits. I do wish they made a ball head in between the BH40 and BH55, but I'm not sure that's necessary.

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:18 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Another tripod question.. RRS/Gitzo owners please chime in!

each of their head products overlap each other in function and support capability . the BH40 does a good job with my Sigma 120-300/2.8 and the BH30 supports my 70-200/2.8 well too

Edited on Sep 17, 2017 at 01:35 AM · View previous versions

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:21 PM
ATX353

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Another tripod question.. RRS/Gitzo owners please chime in!

@sjms, great to know, I have no doubt then for my landscape photography that the BH40 will suffice. Thank you for your input.

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:23 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Another tripod question.. RRS/Gitzo owners please chime in!

https://sjms.smugmug.com/Places/Trips/The-Great-Circle-Route/i-p5WTRsg/O

Kakabeka Falls is about 6 hrs away from you. if you want to get it like this wait till the end of October as the water level drops.

Edited on Sep 15, 2017 at 03:02 AM · View previous versions

Sep 14, 2017 at 08:24 PM
Bobarino

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Another tripod question.. RRS/Gitzo owners please chime in!

Bacalhau wrote:

but to me it seems that your weak link is the gitzo ballhead... when I was researching ballheads, never found theirs in top reviews - not that they are awful, but likely not as good as a few other brands available these days.

Hi Bacalhau,

I presume you're thinking about the older off-center Gitzo ball-heads with side-locking. Apparently they were needlessly heavy with inadequate locking capability. The newly released (2015-2016) Gitzo center ball-heads are superb. Excellent friction control, very smooth operation, very positive locking, even in the smaller models. The have three models, the smallest being the GH-1382TQD, designed to work with the series 0 and 1 Traveller tripods. It'll allow the Traveller legs to fit perfectly parallel for the most compact profile possible. This TQD version, does not offer separate friction control however.

Next up the ladder is the similarly named GH-1382 QD(no "T" in the name). This is the mid-sized version, designed to fit perfectly between the folded legs of the series 2 Traveller (and for use with larger tripods). This model does feature a separate friction control knob(within the lock knob), and is the model I personally use with my Gitzo GT-2545T Traveller tripod.

The largest version is the GH-3382QD which I also own. Superb ball-head. The only issue I have with that one is, the indexing point for the pano base is a bit too small for these old eyes to see well. Otherwise, this is a superb head.

All three of these heads have a WS2 tungsten disulfide coating for ultra-smooth operation. Tungsten disulfide coatings are also used for reducing friction in pistons for race-car engines, and for coating ball-bearings. These heads are also designed for quick and easy cleaning. Worth a closer look.

Sep 14, 2017 at 09:46 PM
ATX353

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Another tripod question.. RRS/Gitzo owners please chime in!

@bobarino, how do you like your GT-2545T/ball head combo? Sounds like we have the same one. I agree about the indexing point. Just yesterday I had quite a bit of trouble spotting mine, I thought it did not come with one! My only complaint, and I am not sure if you experience this as well, at least on the GH-1328 - is that the friction knob sometimes screws almost all the way out, and requires re-tightening.

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:10 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password